Should HTC go all Windows Phone?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I love how everyone here bashes HTC.

I think you are completely misreading people's statements. Nobody is bashing HTC. People are just acknowledging that HTC is in a crappy situation (and explaining why) and speculating on what HTC should do to improve their fortunes.

Nokia is also in a crappy situation.

Even WP is in a crappy situation, as not even its entire market share would be enough to support just one of these companies.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I would like HTC to concentrate more on WP only for the fact that the consumer needs more options. I am not interested in a Nokia-only WP experience, and neither should you. Nokia having a monopoly in WP is no better than Samsung having one for Android. Competition benefits the consumer.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I would like HTC to concentrate more on WP only for the fact that the consumer needs more options. I am not interested in a Nokia-only WP experience, and neither should you. Nokia having a monopoly in WP is no better than Samsung having one for Android. Competition benefits the consumer.

I disagree. WP needs a financially successful, respected and well known hardware partner with a strong brand name. At least for now, all of WP's combined market share can't sustain such an effort. That is why I would prefer a Nokia-only WP experience, at least for the time being. One strong OEM that invests all their resources into WP benefits us much more than two weak OEMs that can barely keep themselves afloat.

Competition is only good up until the point where it becomes a circular firing squad.

Besides, Nokia's real competition is not HTC, but Samsung and Apple. The smartphone space is one of the most competitive markets in existence. Nokia has more then enough competition to keep them on their toes, with or without HTC.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It'll be an interesting thing to watch for sure.

I'd say going all-Windows Phone would be the most-likely killer, as they can't touch Nokia when Nokia has the software exclusives. HOWEVER, there's a sliver of hope with Android. That hope would be Tizen. If Samsung bails on Android in a year or two for Tizen, it could leave the established Android market open a bit, and HTC could jump on that. Otherwise, they'd need to partner with Mozilla for the Firefox OS or something, because they simply cannot match the quality of Nokia, and it'll be darned tough to match the quantity of Samsung. Their only hope is some magic fix superphone to force everyone from Samsung, or Samsung would have to be stupid enough to 100% abandon Android for Tizen, then have Tizen fail.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
One good example i can think of if HTC goes full WP is...

Their epic designs. (HTC One, urm... any other suggestions?)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
One good example i can think of if HTC goes full WP is...

Their epic designs. (HTC One, urm... any other suggestions?)

For all those who complained that HTC stole Nokia's patent on "using colors outside of black, white and silver in a mobile phone", the 8X is nicely designed, along with the 8S. Nexus One, HTC Legend were great too design wise. Going back further, the Touch Diamond is still the best thing for me they made design wise.

Industrial design wise, for me HTC, Sony, Nokia are the best. I give apple some credit too. Samsung - not so much. But as we've seen, design doesn't sell handsets, performance does - along with improved after market support. Until HTC choses to make an identity based on something they can off that's better than the competition (I think it should be music), they'll be between a rock and a hard place.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I think HTC are beyond recovery now. Which is a shame for me. I have a HTC Flyer and a HTC Titan. The Flyer was unique, and is still a pleasure to use (although why no dual core HTC?) and the Titan is a brilliant phone in itself. I've also had a Desire Z which was a lovely phone. I want to see HTC succeed but I think it's too late for them.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to see a one phone for both OSes. Give users choice and perhaps pick up some WP users who wouldn't have used it otherwise

Something like the HD2, just more consumer-friendly

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to see a one phone for both OSes. Give users choice and perhaps pick up some WP users who wouldn't have used it otherwise

Something like the HD2, just more consumer-friendly

I doubt that will happen. That would be too much of a niche device. If HTC has issues doing updates for Android, you're asking alot for them to do both. Again, they make good devices and are a top 4 brand in my list (I always end up with something HTC, even as a spare). But the after sales support has been a historical weakness for them (see XDA's founding) that has gotten magnified with how they handled Sense 3 and how diluted their brand became with all those damn carrier variants (pay attention, Nokia) and incremental refreshes.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Meh after swindling me with the 8X's poor design and telling me that phones always should have a case and never be put in a pocket they could completely sink for all I care... LG is even a better company IMO

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so. HTC is already stuck doing both. It would take a massive reorganization to just focus on one OS.
Look at Nokia and where they got after the Symbian reorganization. With HTC profits falling, though, they better make a choice.

qudahamohammad

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I think they should invest in Firefox OS because WP and Android are dominated by Nokia and Sammy respectively. Firefox on the other hand is up for grabs! ;)

keep in mind that there'll be no high-end FirefoxOS devices because most phone companies these days are following Samsung's route which is:
1)- make a couple high-end phones and lots of low-end
2)- people will get tired from the low-end phones and will look for high-end phones because low-end are usually slow
3)- ??
4)- profit

and FirefoxOS feels just... basic, the apps are pretty much pathetic to work with.

if HTC wants a decent software for the future, Ubuntu is the best choice. why LG isn't adopting Ubuntu? I don't get it.

I also read on the news that Windows Phone is failing badly, so Windows Phone 8 won't be an attractive choice for customers.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...tp%3A%2F%2Fwww.htc.com%2Fus%2F&token=dsQJ_DQN I don't see HTC marketing and advertising it's Windows Phones anyway, not even the new 8XT.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
HTC kicked themselves in the rear by going for the high end market only. HTC's strength used to be that their mid range offerings were on point. Now, they went swimming in the premium only pool and Apple (overall), Samsung (Android) and Nokia (WP) are crushing them. Last year's One X, a very good device, is all but forgotten but cause HTC's other weakness shows up...the ****ty after sales software support. You cannot use premium hardware to always fix last year's problems. I still see SGS2s because they run decent enough on 2 y.o. hardware. I wish them well, but they just know how to handcuff themselves so well that perhaps MSFT should buy them out if they're still around once the Nokia deal ends.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss