What WP8 needs is a killa app or accessory range!

beershark

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
WP8 is great and glad its gaining ground. But lets face it, WP specific and original apps and accessories are thin on the ground at best.

iOS have their (OLD) connectors in lots of hi-fis, hotel clock-radios and some cars so once your in that loop its hard to leave.

Android have open source and a wide range of sexy & powerful kit.

For WP to thrive and not JUST survive it needs to offer something different. I love the People Hub which is quite unique and the integration (when it works) with Window8 and the new Xbox.

With the advent of high end cameras, how about an Underwater Housing (using the in-built GPS would be a first!) that connects to ANY Windows Phone using a USB connected to a couple of simple buttons, an APP from the store to control it and some moveable spacers so when you upgrade your phone you can still use the same case unlike regular cameras? Even have an emergency SOS button to send a message / text including GPS coordinates.....

I know it wont appeal to the masses but useful for the seaside, snorkelers & divers alike but there are now a couple of waterproof phones out there so proof of concept is there!

Any other bright ideas out there?

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I am a diver but no way would I use a case for my phone and use it to do pictures or videos, that's what a GoPro is for :grin:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I really think the only reason for all those iPhone-specific accessories is Apple's proprietary connectors.

There isn't really anything different about Samsung, Nokia, HTC, LG, etc., whether the devices run Windows Phone or Android that would necessitate special accessories, since those devices all use microUSB connectors. Accessories like speaker docks/clocks would be for iPhone and for everything else.

Cindy_H

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
IMO, the reason is Apple's overwhelming popularity with consumers in recent years. The accessory manufacturers threw their support behind the winning horse. I would love to see more WP specific accessories hit the market.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
IMO, the reason is Apple's overwhelming popularity with consumers in recent years. The accessory manufacturers threw their support behind the winning horse. I would love to see more WP specific accessories hit the market.

An additional point might be, that the iPhone stays the same over a long period of time (usually two years when the "S" version is included) and there's only one of them. Many high-end android phones are or feel outdated a few months later.

beershark

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Narse,

I too am a diver and by choice wouldn't choose a phone over a decent DSLR / Compact. However, I had a camcorder and spent ?1000 on a housing which I now cannot use. Likewise, I have a small Sony Digital which I bought a housing for. Sony faulty, uneconomical to repair so another ?100 - ?200 housing would gather dust.

These housing need to be specific size of course, but button locations are essential.

With a USB, for instance, you could upgrade your phone and still keep the housing.

I think this would appeal more to beach users / snorkelling that full on divers but just throwing an idea out there - would be a first for MS / Windows Phone (with the right app of course!).

beershark

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
@Laura - agreed.

As I said, Apple had it away for a long time with standardisation. With ports being located in different places on different phone manufacturers it makes it difficult for accessory suppliers of course. Going forward, NFC, Bluetooth and DLAN should decrease the need for specific hardware.

A NFC car port would be ideal. Charge, switch off Wi-Fi, turn on Bluetooth in one fell swoop and non-make specific.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Companies could release universal car chargers and docks, that are compatible with Devices that charge with Micro USB.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if custom camera grips will be a thing for the Lumia 1020. Anyone know if something like that is in the works?

What I would have liked from the wireless charging stand was if it could connect to PC and transfer data through it somehow. Or say a stand to dock the phone through the usb port at the bottom. Would have made it more compelling to me. As it is I only got the fatboy pillow charger. Still considering the stand though.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I mean, to be honest, there are some accessories out like wireless docks and chargers, but I get what you're saying. The only problem is that they are so many devices out with the USB port placed in various locations

beershark

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I mean, to be honest, there are some accessories out like wireless docks and chargers, but I get what you're saying. The only problem is that they are so many devices out with the USB port placed in various locations

Agreed, that was one of my points!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium