Let's remember Windows Mobile 6.1 !

ms_geo

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
hi everyone!
my first post on WPC forum!
I just want to share some images with you!
I love WP but what make me sad is that almost every top features that is missing right now was available to some of us many years ago!

hope GDR3 and blue bring same and more features!
what do you think?

Screen002.pngScreen005.pngScreen006.pngScreen007.pngScreen008.pngScreen009.pngScreen010.pngScreen011.pngScreen012.pngScreen013.pngScreen014.pngScreen015.pngScreen016.pngScreen018.pngScreen019.png

Last edited:

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Let's remebmer Windows Mobile 6.1 !

Good old Windows Mobile...

Attachments

• phm-regedit-5.jpg
    phm-regedit-5.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 370

DJRedLine

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

I had the Omnia and used to love running this the mobileshell application from SPB software. almost everyday or so I would flash new custom ROM's

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Loved the NRGY Roms on The Touch Diamond, HD 1 and the Xperia X1. When I deleted all my hacks and cab files for my old WM phones last month, it made me sad...

4hab

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
hi everyone!
my first post on WPC forum!
I just want to share some images with you!
I love WP but what make me sad is that almost every top features that is missing right now was available to some of us many years ago!

hope GDR3 and blue bring same and more features!
what do you think?

View attachment 38029View attachment 38030View attachment 38031View attachment 38032View attachment 38033View attachment 38034View attachment 38035View attachment 38036View attachment 38037View attachment 38038View attachment 38039View attachment 38040View attachment 38041View attachment 38042View attachment 38043

I cringed by seeing these screenshots. MS did a good job to break with all this stuff, to achieve a gently-soft performance and a beautiful flat and modern UI design - or simply a total reboot. Functionality might follow by the time, but I wouldnt need even a tenth of the overwhelming featureset WM6 offered (or offers). Same with Android.

Seriously, why would any non-geek need a registry editor on his phone?! Thats rediculous.

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm working on an app for work using wm6.5 so I'm getting to see stuff like this almost everyday. That api allowed for so much more than the current one...

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I cringed by seeing these screenshots. MS did a good job to break with all this stuff, to achieve a gently-soft performance and a beautiful flat and modern UI design - or simply a total reboot. Functionality might follow by the time, but I wouldnt need even a tenth of the overwhelming featureset WM6 offered (or offers). Same with Android.

Seriously, why would any non-geek need a registry editor on his phone?! Thats rediculous.

It was cool for geeks.

This is a nostalgic thread about old times, nobody is saying we should have this now. It looks ridiculous nowadays and you wouldn't even be able to navigate without a pen :)

But still, it had many features I'd need now, for example VPN support.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Good times I deed with that os. Loved it and hated it 80/20. I hope more and more PC features can make it back in a less cumbersome and relevant way... But come to think about, mt surface rt fits the bill where needed perfectly.

Good memories, but forward march!

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I have fond memories of three HP devices, the last being the 614c, but I don't miss having to hook th battery out when it froze. :)

I also had a Toshiba TG01 which wa a nightmare until I burned it with a cut-down 6.3 ROM. She was as good as gold once rid of bloatware.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
My first smartphone was the T-Mobile Dash (HTC Excalibur, I think), which was WM5! After that I moved to the Touch Pro 2, which I kept until the release of WP7. I almost went to Android after my TP2, but I just got so sick of constantly having to flash ROMs in order to get a half-way decent experience. I'm so happy with the direction MS has taken with their mobile OS!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

A non-geek didn't need a registry editor, but they wouldn't even know it was available or what it was for! I loved WM when I had it. I used some of its features that are still missing in WP, which is why I haven't been able to totally switch to WP yet. Good times indeed!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

A reg edit tool wasn't just for geeks. If you had an AT&T device unlocked it would be useless for anything other than text & voice. With a registry editor you could then change MMS server info, GPS, tethering, etc. Samsungs were the worst for being locked down.

By your standards, we don't need file browsers, VPN tools, network file sharing, email file attachment menus, etc. Apple convinced the world (and they should be commended for their efforts) that all you need is a good mp3 player, a stylish phone and an app store. I take maybe 10 pictures a year, never play games and have no idea what Instagram is. By my standards, Windows Mobile was the cat's a** because I could get work DONE. That's not rediculous (sic).

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just recently sold the Palm Treo Pro I had for a few months after swapping my Pre 2 for it.

I liked WM6.1, but the 3rd-party applications were just a bit too dated for me (lot were broken), but other than that, and the dismal Stock Media Player, I liked it.

Upgraded it to 6.5 with a custom ROM, it was great, but eventually returned to 6.1.

That was my only WM experience, as I was solidly in the Palm camp in its heyday.

How about we remember Windows CE too? I once found the Cassiopeia A-11 with Windows CE 1.0 in my house. I was pretty cool, albeit a bit on the unwieldly side.

athosbr99

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I had a MotoQ from Motorola, a gift from a relative 2 years ago (she had a new phone and gave me this). it didn't had wifi, but I loved the keyboard.

Razdek

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
WM was great in the fact that it had more features than what WP has today except it ran like crap. How is it that there was more features back then there this now? It makes no sense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs