Losing faith in windows phone

tdsweetwheels

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
WP has Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest. Facebook Twitter and Pinterest are the top 3 social networks on the planet. All are official ones too. It has already been revealed that Instagram and Snapchat are both coming to windows phone as both of the 3rd party apps have been removed from the market which means they are on their way. Other than that I see no distinct difference in app availabity from other os. Oh wait, they both have about 400,000 garbage apps nobody uses that WP doesnt.

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Threads like these make me a bit scared whether or not to invest in WP.I am currently using Android and looking to switch to WP but the mature Jellybean OS is tough to ignore(currently on Gingerbread).MS must include big features with every update and release the updates quickly but MS is not doing enough to push WP.I am not a big fan of MS but i do love Nokia.The only reason am interested in WP is because of Nokia Lumia 520.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I am currently using Android and looking to switch to WP but the mature Jellybean OS is tough to ignore.The only reason am interested in WP is because of Nokia Lumia 520.

Good luck finding a phone on Jelly bean in the 520's price range. Honestly, if you're looking in that price range for a new phone then WP can't be beaten. Different story for the high end market.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
At the end of the day, everyone will be tired with a device at some point. Windows Phone's use of live tiles won't be the reason for consumers to get bored.

Also, its a phone at the end of the day. You figure out your needs, and decide if that platform works for you

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
OP is right about the IE back-button. That MS placed app-navigation and web-page-navigation on the same button leads to all kinds of chaos.

For example, if you switch to IE using the task switcher, using the hardware back button takes you back to the previous app, when you might have wanted to move to the previous web page, which is no longer possible.

The two concepts need to be separated. Software based forward and backward buttons for web page navigation, and the hardware button for navigation between apps (which is what it is used for everywhere else). This would also allow us to close IE with a single tap of the hardware back button, instead of requiring us to spam it.

I consider this one of WP's worst design flaws.

True. 8.1 should remove the back and search button, or at least the search one (They are capacitive and will turn off). Therefore, it is not only unifying the Windows Experience (8.1 has no back key), it is taking this annoying bug away. Make search into a app plke W8's Bing.

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Threads like these make me a bit scared whether or not to invest in WP.I am currently using Android and looking to switch to WP but the mature Jellybean OS is tough to ignore(currently on Gingerbread).MS must include big features with every update and release the updates quickly but MS is not doing enough to push WP.I am not a big fan of MS but i do love Nokia.The only reason am interested in WP is because of Nokia Lumia 520.
Don't worry about this thread. There is GDR2, 3, and 8.1 coming over the next 6 months. Ios can't get a single one out.

Last edited by a moderator:

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
True. 8.1 should remove the back and search button, or at least the search one (They are capacitive and will turn off). Therefore, it is not only unifying the Windows Experience (8.1 has no back key), it is taking this annoying bug away. Make search into a app plke W8's Bing.
Search isn't a button due to the charms. Removing back isn't an option unless you can remap closing apps manually by, say, swiping down from the top.
And, don't forget about the apps that need to be recoded.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Wrong as lag is subjective depending on the person's perception. What may be acceptable use and function to you may not be for me. Thats why when people talk about it's so laggy and this lags not so much as this phone did for me...

Actually, no.

verb (used without object) 1. to fail to maintain a desired pace or to keep up; fall or stay behind

a5cent is actually correct. Lag is the screen response to your input, not from switching between apps.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Guess you don't realize, the various os' that Android releases, only get released to specific devices. Whereas, you will find better support for WP8, where the majority of phones, if not all WP8 devices, will get the latest update.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
to Be honest I agree. But I like the way IE10 in windows 8 does it. Just swipe back to your previous page. Genius. With the WP and windows team merging together I think we'll get that feature

+100

Love the concept on IE10, though that switching isn't perfect in IE10 on Windows 8.

This makes so much sense for Windows Phone 8 IE. Granted I can see it being implemented slightly harder on WP thanks to smaller screen and separation between big and smaller movement. Nothing would be more irritating than accidently going back when moving around the site. Still the current IE is a bit slow these days compared to Android and iOS and the UI needs changes.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
+100

Love the concept on IE10, though that switching isn't perfect in IE10 on Windows 8.

This makes so much sense for Windows Phone 8 IE. Granted I can see it being implemented slightly harder on WP thanks to smaller screen and separation between big and smaller movement. Nothing would be more irritating than accidently going back when moving around the site. Still the current IE is a bit slow these days compared to Android and iOS and the UI needs changes.

Wouldn't say slower, it's just that more information is loaded before the page is displayed which may give the perception that it's slower when it actually isn't.

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually, no.

verb (used without object) 1. to fail to maintain a desired pace or to keep up; fall or stay behind

a5cent is actually correct. Lag is the screen response to your input, not from switching between apps.

Firstly, I'd like to disclose that I am a long-time Android user who also happens to be a fan of what Microsoft has done of late and will almost certainly be switching to WP8 in the near future.

With that said, as intelligently as you and a5cent articulated your thoughts I feel that they are misguided. 11B1P, the generic definition you quoted provides 0 evidence that the term "lag" relates to screen response. Moreover, dictionary definitions and the denotation of words are rather useless when applied in a vacuum. Connotation, the perceptive meaning of a word is what truly matters.

So, socially speaking, from an individual who is very much in the "tech sphere," the term lag is typically used to refer to an unexpected delay. This word is often used in gaming to refer to degraded network or GPU performance. In computing it is typically used to discuss poor software operation as related to both hardware and/or software. In networking it is used to describe poor network performance. In video capture it is typically associated with low frame rates. The list continues in this fashion. It should be noted that in every single one of these instances the term lag is used colloquially and doesn't have a proper technical definition.

It is because of this that MAJ71303 has a point when saying that "lag is subjective" and dependent "on the person's perception." For example, someone who upgraded their computer from a Core i3 to a Core i7 would likely describe the change as going from "normal" to "fast." Someone who did the exact opposite and downgraded their computer from an i7 to an i3 would likely describe the change as going from "normal" to "slow" or "laggy." Let's remember that while the word delay can be concisely defined as something which isn't instantaneous the word lag is subjective. None of the realms it is applied to will ever be instantaneous, but when used it typically indicates an increased delay from what is expected or considered normal, which is a subjective frame of reference.

All that aside, I'd say that MAJ71303 is utterly wrong to dismiss everyone's commentary on WP8's "lag-free" environment because, while the wording is a bit misleading, it is mostly true by comparison. What I mean is, regardless of what your frame of reference for "lag" is, a comparable piece of hardware on WP8 has less unexpected delays than it's Android (or even iOS) counterpart.

I can honestly say that as an avid Android user for over 4 years who has always sought performance in the best hardware and the cleanest OS variants possible (mostly custom ROMs for my rooted Android phones) I was thoroughly impressed by WP8's performance when I tested a mid-range WP8 demo phone at a local store.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I can honestly say that as an avid Android user for over 4 years who has always sought performance in the best hardware and the cleanest OS variants possible (mostly custom ROMs for my rooted Android phones) I was thoroughly impressed by WP8's performance when I tested a mid-range WP8 demo phone at a local store.

I had used Android since the release of the OG Droid, and ended up making a full switch to WP8 this last December (I'd owned an L900 before, but couldn't make the switch and stuck with my HTC One X). I made the switch for this very reason. Not to mention, being forced to reboot my Android phones about once a month just to get rid of some of the lag was bothering me. This was a stock device running the latest version of Android (at the time), so I can't say it was a buggy ROM (which I had encountered in the past). That said, I have nothing against Android, but I thoroughly enjoy the smoother experience of WP8 more. I like that Android is pushing the features further in mobile devices, but feel that WP8 is a more fluid experience with the features it has.

KitN

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
As a current owner of Android devices running pure Android (as Google intended) via Nexus devices (Nexus 4 & Nexus 7) as well as owing an iPhone (and have had every iPhone from the beginning) as well as a brand new Windows Phone 8 device (L521), I can say, without bias, that all platforms have their pros and cons.

All platforms experience "lag"/"stutter" at one point or another whether from a sloppily written 3rd party app or too many apps open hogging too many resources or an OS hiccup, or whatever. All of them experience it once in a while so stop the hate, please.

Yes, WP8 is indeed lacking some "basic" functionality long since present in other OSes. Like the ability to directly close programs, real multitasking, a real notification shade...

I mean, when I open up most programs, I have no #@&% idea what time it is or what notifications I have or if WiFi is still connected, etc! That's some garbage! :eek:

Basic functionality goes right out the window and is inaccessible to me unless I close out the program (spam that Back arrow!!) or press that Windows button to get back to the home screen. Come on! I shouldn't have to guess what time it is or what that notification chime was! I should be able to see all of this with little to no effort on my part via a drop down, ALWAYS ACCESSIBLE notification bar or a static one.

That just ONE example. There are a bunch of others that negatively impact basic functionality. But even with that said I still love my Live Tiles and Metro UI in spite of its shortcomings.

And, yes, Microsoft needs to be quicker to address issues and add the missing functionality to ALL devices running WP8, not just to the highest end phones. (A back/forward button in IE doesn't require an HD screen, 1+ GBs of RAM, etc. :rolleyes: )

Get moving, Microsoft! You've got a lot of catching up to do: Add those missing features to ALL WP8 devices and stop being lazy and wanting to force people to keep upgrading hardware that should have had these basic software implementations out of the box!

Sent from my Nexus 4 with my Nokia Lumia 521 resting nearby

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Eh.

Just like that makes you upset, what makes me VERY upset is having to clear out the SAME notifications in three spots (notification shade, the icon on the homescreen, and the lock screen notification). I like that I am able to pick and choose what notifications I want to keep track of on WP8 via my homescreen and live tiles. It's not perfect (facebook notifications do come in much later), but neither are the other platforms. Your basic functionality is not my basic functionality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077