Losing faith in windows phone

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
It is okay that there are threads like this. It is not news we are a little behind other OS's. I still feel that for the age of the OS, WP is about where Android and iOS were at the same stage of development. Problem is there are 2 established and mature OS" to judge it against. If MS started pumping out fixes at a rate of 3-5 a year and everyone starting getting their device bricked because of it, guess what our forums would be filled with? Yep, unhappy posters with unusable devices.

The pace is slow, but MS updates their devices better then Google. They have more choices in devices and price points then Apple. Nokia is very dependable in updates and fixes. I will even give a slight tip of the cap to Samsung, who has been pretty decent in getting updates out. Are we missing tools of the trade? Yep. But I am more worried about what 8.1 brings then where we are now.

As for some of the other complaints- I agree with above posters: If the consumers are blindly okay with grid UI, live tiles will not get boring. I also will go one step farther. Most consumers do not mess with their cell phones much after the first few months. They get them set up, and stay with that set up for the life of the device. Live tiles are way more suited for that then icons, in my humble unimportant opinion.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It is not news we are a little behind other OS's. I still feel that for the age of the OS, WP is about where Android and iOS were at the same stage of development.

I think WP is ahead of where Android and iOS were at this stage. But who cares about that? WP is behind Android and iOS today. This is 2013, not 2010. WP has to be equal to compete. If a new automaker went into business tomorrow and produced a Model T equivalent, would we buy it because it's as far along as Ford was at that point?

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I think WP is ahead of where Android and iOS were at this stage. But who cares about that? WP is behind Android and iOS today. This is 2013, not 2010. WP has to be equal to compete. If a new automaker went into business tomorrow and produced a Model T equivalent, would we buy it because it's as far along as Ford was at that point?

This right here is pretty much my gripe on what is happening with WIndows Phone 8. I don't want to hear either of it's where the others were when they got released because it should be where the market is now. It should have been released with the features for the year it came out.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

Couldn't have said it better myself!

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Got to light a match under the WP team's feet! I think they're slow to make changes in some instances because it may affect the cosmetics of the design, but seriously, why is vibrate on a separate switch? Off, on, vibrate, and vibrate plus sound should all be available equally. It's the dozens of little extra hurdles that they need to refine and simplify.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Got to light a match under the WP team's feet! I think they're slow to make changes in some instances because it may affect the cosmetics of the design, but seriously, why is vibrate on a separate switch? Off, on, vibrate, and vibrate plus sound should all be available equally. It's the dozens of little extra hurdles that they need to refine and simplify.
well wp8 is reasonably new, so i would expect these features early 2014 at the "blue" update.

slavrenz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
maybe you haven't noticed but there is a big button with an arrow on it at the bottom called the "back button"

If you and david90531 had bothered to read the previous posts, you would see what the OP is referring to. If you open IE, switch to another app, then go back to IE, the back button stops working to take you to old web pages. It simply closes out the app instead.

ricardios

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
The reason I'm sticking with windows phone is its clean and fast UI. Don't want to go back to multiple messy home screens with Android. I also prefer the lag-free experience of WP.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
If you and david90531 had bothered to read the previous posts, you would see what the OP is referring to. If you open IE, switch to another app, then go back to IE, the back button stops working to take you to old web pages. It simply closes out the app instead.

Open IE with holding the back button and select it from the multitasking view.

And the post i was quoting should have said something about what you just said to avoid misterunderstandings

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Whenever I want to go back to a previous page in IE, I just pull up the recent/history thing and use that.. avoiding all of the back button frustration.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
The reason I'm sticking with windows phone is its clean and fast UI. Don't want to go back to multiple messy home screens with Android. I also prefer the lag-free experience of WP.

Lets gone head put this lag thing to rest I can tell that most that buy android phones buy some of the crappiest out there. Then go to the high end side that has some of the clunkiest UI's imaginable. Android lags because of the clunkie UI's these manufacturers put on them to differentiate their products. This lag free experience of WP is indeed false as I have one and it makes for a new experience. WP does indeed lag when switching from one app to the other and from going from the tiles to the application list. Depending on what you're doing you also get those dots scrolling at the top of the screen which sorry in my book is a delay to doing things. Every smartphone platform has stutters, lag, and delays when doing some things. So let's put this farce of UI's being smooth to rest because it is false for all platforms as at some point they will stutter, lag, and have sizable delays in task.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Lets gone head put this lag thing to rest I can tell that most that buy android phones buy some of the crappiest out there. Then go to the high end side that has some of the clunkiest UI's imaginable. Android lags because of the clunkie UI's these manufacturers put on them to differentiate their products. This lag free experience of WP is indeed false as I have one and it makes for a new experience. WP does indeed lag when switching from one app to the other and from going from the tiles to the application list. Depending on what you're doing you also get those dots scrolling at the top of the screen which sorry in my book is a delay to doing things. Every smartphone platform has stutters, lag, and delays when doing some things. So let's put this farce of UI's being smooth to rest because it is false for all platforms as at some point they will stutter, lag, and have sizable delays in task.

I doubt anyone can honestly say that windows phone does not lag. It does...however android is far worse and there is nothing that can be said otherwise.

With all these processors and ram and other gimmicks powering these phones you would think that they wouldn't lag like they do. using the excuse that people buy low end devices that are crp isn't much of am excuse.

Why? Because I can buy a cheap 521 and get a vastly superior experience on phones running the same hardware specification as low end androids. In fact the 521 runs smoother than some androids with 1 GB ram and dual core processors.

I used android for three years and the stuttering when pressing the home button to get to the main screen, the app freezing when you launch them....i can go on and on.

The user interface also isn't a suitable excuse. For Samsung to be the most powerful android devices, it makes no sense that their phones still lag as they do with touchwiz. That is still android, its just not pure android.

Windows phone does tend to lag from time to time but I'm glad that with windows phone I don't have to actively keep checking which apps are running in the background like I did with android.

The lag free experience isn't false but it might be slightly inaccurate but I can say I can go days without noticing lags on my Lumia.

Can't say the same for my last android devices.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
This lag free experience of WP is indeed false as I have one and it makes for a new experience. WP does indeed lag when switching from one app to the other and from going from the tiles to the application list. Depending on what you're doing you also get those dots scrolling at the top of the screen which sorry in my book is a delay to doing things. Every smartphone platform has stutters, lag, and delays when doing some things. So let's put this farce of UI's being smooth to rest because it is false for all platforms as at some point they will stutter, lag, and have sizable delays in task.

You do not understand the term "lag".

Saying an OS lags is making a statement about a technical fault, but not every delay is a fault! For example, when you launch a program, the executable files must be transferred from storage into RAM. This process always requires some time, causing a delay, on any OS, and on any smartphone. This is not a fault, but a technical necessity. If we are going to call this technical necessity "lag", then we might as well stop using the word entirely, as it provides no additional meaning beyond what the English word "delay" already has to offer.

Typically, the term "lag" refers to a devices inability to scroll the content area of a touch based display precisely in coordination with your finger movements. This may result in the content area lagging behind your finger (which is where the term comes from), or the content area jumping/stuttering to keep up, instead of following smoothly (which is why some use the term smooth or fluid as the opposite as lag).

That is why it is correct to say that WP devices lag less, at least when compared to similarly spec'ed Android devices. That doesn't mean that using a WP device is completely without delays and reacts instantaneously at all times.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
yes the 520/521 is the best selling phone in many countries right now, it has taken the world by storm. We are not talking about the most used phone here we are talking about sales of a phone in the last quarter and the 520/521 beats them all in the countries where it is available.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
You do not understand the term "lag".

Saying an OS lags is making a statement about a technical fault, but not every delay is a fault! For example, when you launch a program, the executable files must be transferred from storage into RAM. This process always requires some time, causing a delay, on any OS, and on any smartphone. This is not a fault, but a technical necessity. If we are going to call this technical necessity "lag", then we might as well stop using the word entirely, as it provides no additional meaning beyond what the English word "delay" already has to offer.

Typically, the term "lag" refers to a devices inability to scroll the content area of a touch based display precisely in coordination with your finger movements. This may result in the content area lagging behind your finger (which is where the term comes from), or the content area jumping/stuttering to keep up, instead of following smoothly (which is why some use the term smooth or fluid as the opposite as lag).

That is why it is correct to say that WP devices lag less, at least when compared to similarly spec'ed Android devices. That doesn't mean that using a WP device is completely without delays and reacts instantaneously at all times.

Wrong as lag is subjective depending on the person's perception. What may be acceptable use and function to you may not be for me. Thats why when people talk about it's so laggy and this lags not so much as this phone did for me..... it is a personal perception that can easily be dismissed because it is subjective. So i indeed dismiss your definition of it and the other posters as well. Because at the end of the day each platform has it's flaws and things it does well. And I care less what you think that lag is. I also care less how you defend the platform because the thread is about what the problems are with WP keeping people using WP.

The op is talking about software improvements to the platform that will bring it to par with the other platforms, not what's wrong with other platforms.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So i indeed dismiss your definition of it and the other posters as well.

So, basically, you reserve the right to invent your own definition of the term, which is exactly what you are accusing everyone else of doing. Fine. Just don't expect anyone to agree with your definition, and don't expect to converse meaningfully using your own fantasy vocabulary.

I realize that the general public is unaware of a precise definition of the term "lag", as it relates to touch based input. I agree that many statements referring to "lag" can be dismissed as a result. However, the definition I provided is not my personal interpretation, but the definition of the term as used by the software community that develops these devices. It is the only meaningful definition of the term (that I am aware of), but you are obviously free to reject that definition as well.

Finally, the purpose of my post was not to defend WP, but to defend the word "lag" from being further reduced towards utter meaninglessness.

greedypnguin

May 11, 2013
Visit site
People don't buy windows phones because of business And financial loss, by that I mean, other os' have a Barclays app, wp doesn't. Easyjet app is available on other os. Not on wp. But also there are the teens who need social apps like Instagram and tumblr. We don't have Instagram. If there were.less games and more of these we would have a lot more customers and more business would choose windows phone. This is my theory

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb