08-24-2013 08:26 PM
72 123
tools
    I think Microsoft should make their own video sharing website. I pretty much dropped everything google, in favor of Bing. The only barrier left is Youtube.
    Slenzen likes this.
    08-17-2013 08:22 PM
    I think Microsoft should make their own video sharing website. I pretty much dropped everything google, in favor of Bing. The only barrier left is Youtube.
    That would take a long time (years) to build up; if it ever turned into a viable competitor. We're still left with the same problems: Attracting new users, retaining existing users, etc.

We could all certainly live without, Google. The question is: Do we want to? While some of us could answer yes to that question, most of us would rather not have to.
    08-17-2013 09:01 PM
    That would take a long time (years) to build up; if it ever turned into a viable competitor. We're still left with the same problems: Attracting new users, retaining existing users, etc.

We could all certainly live without, Google. The question is: Do we want to? While some of us could answer yes to that question, most of us would rather not have to.
    Yeah you're right about how long it would most likely take. However, I'm sure people would pounce on a viable competitor that contains all of the features YouTube lacks, or killed off in the past couple of years. There have been sites in the past that tried to compete with them, but ended up going under do to financial troubles. I hear and see constant complaints about googles frequent changes to YouTube and the million spam bots infesting the site already, but put up with it because there's no competition. If Microsoft was to buy a video sharing site off of someone else....hmmmm...
    08-17-2013 09:46 PM
    Yeah you're right about how long it would most likely take. However, I'm sure people would pounce on a viable competitor that contains all of the features YouTube lacks, or killed off in the past couple of years. There have been sites in the past that tried to compete with them, but ended up going under do to financial troubles. I hear and see constant complaints about googles frequent changes to YouTube and the million spam bots infesting the site already, but put up with it because there's no competition. If Microsoft was to buy a video sharing site off of someone else....hmmmm...
    I thought that I should clear up my position. I'm absolutely open to MS developing an alternative to Youtube. A viable competing option is long overdue. Not only would it benefit Windows/WP users, but everyone on other platforms. It would give all of us another option, but also, it would give Google incentive to develop Youtube along a path that many of us would probably prefer to see.
    Jazmac likes this.
    08-17-2013 10:11 PM
    However, I'm sure people would pounce on a viable competitor that contains all of the features YouTube lacks, or killed off in the past couple of years.
    I doubt whether Microsoft or any other competitor would crack YouTube's dominance in the time that it will still be relevant in its current paradigm.
    08-17-2013 11:02 PM
    Not sure a petition will help. But as of yesterday, Google no longer has access to my data for their purposes.

Here's the easy step to remove your Google Account:
    https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32046?hl=en

All I lost was my YouTube personalization - which wasn't much at all. Removing you doesn't give you the option of telling them why. But when I removed Google Chrome from my PC, they did let me share the reason I was leaving. I shared the URL to one of the many articles about them blocking the MSFT Phone YouTube app.

Now I'm 100% Google-free.
    Make sure you get rid of the crap in the hidden directory google leaves behind even if you uninstall chrome. Otherwise, good job.
    No matter how this turns out, I won't install chrome on any of my systems, ever.
    08-17-2013 11:05 PM
    I don't think it would be too hard to get some attention on a new video sharing site. All you would need is some big name celebrities or musicians to have exclusive videos on the new site and you would automatically get viewers to come over. Maybe host some exclusive episodes of some shows or partner with a major sports league.

The only hard thing is that embedding youtube videos on blogs, forums, sites etc is extremely easy since it has been coded in, and a new video site would require new embed features.
    08-18-2013 12:26 AM
    I'm with the idea of Microsoft coming up with an alternative to Youtube. I realize that creating something from the ground up would be difficult and maybe not very viable. However, I think a partnership with Vimeo could work. The work is already done, all they'd need would be publicity and encouragement for people to post there.
    08-18-2013 04:44 AM
    The root of the problem is the concept of software patents themselves. They grant software patents for some really vague things these days.
    08-18-2013 10:11 AM
    I don't think it would be too hard to get some attention on a new video sharing site. All you would need is some big name celebrities or musicians to have exclusive videos on the new site and you would automatically get viewers to come over. Maybe host some exclusive episodes of some shows or partner with a major sports league.

The only hard thing is that embedding youtube videos on blogs, forums, sites etc is extremely easy since it has been coded in, and a new video site would require new embed features.
    Who exactly lol, not many people would mess with G, imaging G suspending accounts of some big names :p
    08-18-2013 10:25 AM
    I don't use google anymore.

Bing searches and maps.
    Here for mu journey planning etc
    Outlook for email
    Vimeo for video needs although i have always preferred it over youtube.

Google sucks, and what sucks more are the comments under the official app on the Microsoft store for youtube. People badmouthing Microsoft because the app doesn't work because they haven't researched the reasoning.
    08-18-2013 10:28 AM
    True that! I just use Youtube and very seldom Google Books for research from Google. I never had an Android phone. Everything else is from Microsoft. Windows phone is always lag free. Just need more apps and more customization. It will be the best platform ever.
    08-18-2013 10:32 AM
    Funny , Google is actually harming its own users (youtube users) to destroy competing platform (WP8 userbase)
    Lol wp isn't going to compete against android for a long long time. Fat chance with just 3℅ market share. Ms needs to improve/update windows mobile first with common features first and apps needs to grow faster in order to build user base otherwise its just a dying platform IMO

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    Gurggles likes this.
    08-18-2013 11:07 AM
    Lol wp isn't going to compete against android for a long long time. Fat chance with just 3℅ market share. Ms needs to improve/update windows mobile first with common features first and apps needs to grow faster in order to build user base otherwise its just a dying platform IMO

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    May come sooner than expected due to the anti-google, anti-piracy reports going around recently
    08-18-2013 11:15 AM
    May come sooner than expected due to the anti-google, anti-piracy reports going around recently
    Like anybody cares about that, besides of course the people on this forum. Microsoft is no better.
    08-18-2013 11:24 AM
    otherwise its just a dying platform imo

sent from my nexus 7 using wpcentral forums mobile app

lol
    08-18-2013 11:31 AM
    Like anybody cares about that, besides of course the people on this forum. Microsoft is no better.
    really? Search google privacy issues and tell me no one cares.

Also i cant remember Microsoft being in every newspaper in the uk over privacy issues recently.....oh wait that space has been filled by google in the papers.

Get.a.grip
    08-18-2013 12:16 PM
    If Microsoft made an option to change google to default search they might treat us better,I know I would prefer google as the search.
    08-18-2013 12:23 PM
    Personally, I like the integrated Bing search much better than anything Google has to offer. I'm using my HTC One right now, so I'm familiar with Google searches. I really love Google Now, but as far as a general search goes, I prefer the Bing button/search on my L920.

I don't necessarily think that Microsoft needs Google. Aside from YouTube, what else do we use that's Google branded? Maybe gmail, but that's not really a huge issue. Microsoft has their own ecosystem to stand on; Office, Outlook, Live, Bing, etc. Many of those services do exactly what Google's services do, and sometimes better.

Just my .02 cents. I just think Microsoft will be fine without Google.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
    08-18-2013 12:31 PM
    really? Search google privacy issues and tell me no one cares.

Also i cant remember Microsoft being in every newspaper in the uk over privacy issues recently.....oh wait that space has been filled by google in the papers.

Get.a.grip
    You're right; a few people do care. But only a few. Google processes the majority of searches. Why? Because these so called privacy breaches help them to be the best at producing results. The other companies aren't any better at privacy. They collect your data as well. The difference is that they don't know how to use the data they collect. Android's market share is around 75%, and it's not dropping. WP's market share barely rose YoY. So relatively few people care.

Here's another thing to think about: some businesses say there is no such thing as bad publicity. That is true to a point. Not that Google needed any more exposure, but for some companies it has given them exposure and made them a household name. Very few people say they're going to "Bing" something; they "Google" it. Even Microsoft fans on this forum write that.

All that said, I don't necessarily disagree with those saying that we're getting to a scary place with our information. I just wanted to point out that judging by how many users keep using Google & Android that I don't believe a significant amount of people are fed up with Google. Of course, a lot of the WP users are, but that's a very small number. Your privacy is gone anyway; you might as well let it work for you.
    FinancialP and Gurggles like this.
    08-18-2013 12:45 PM
    Signed. Its only at 267 signatures
    as of 8/18/13 it has over 300
    08-18-2013 12:49 PM
    You're right; a few people do care. But only a few. Google processes the majority of searches. Why? Because these so called privacy breaches help them to be the best at producing results. The other companies aren't any better at privacy. They collect your data as well. The difference is that they don't know how to use the data they collect. Android's market share is around 75%, and it's not dropping. WP's market share barely rose YoY. So relatively few people care.

Here's another thing to think about: some businesses say there is no such thing as bad publicity. That is true to a point. Not that Google needed any more exposure, but for some companies it has given them exposure and made them a household name. Very few people say they're going to "Bing" something; they "Google" it. Even Microsoft fans on this forum write that.

All that said, I don't necessarily disagree with those saying that we're getting to a scary place with our information. I just wanted to point out that judging by how many users keep using Google & Android that I don't believe a significant amount of people are fed up with Google. Of course, a lot of the WP users are, but that's a very small number. Your privacy is gone anyway; you might as well let it work for you.
    That bit about "googling" it is actually a very good point..i don't think there will ever be a time where people say bing it.

I just hope there is a day when wp is recognised properly and grows to be in the big leagues with ios and android in terms of market share. Infact not even android, just wp second ahead of ios.

Anyway, im thinking boycotting google and making a negative fuss wont make them more willing to provide youtube and other google services.
    tgp likes this.
    08-18-2013 01:27 PM
    I just hope there is a day when wp is recognised properly and grows to be in the big leagues with ios and android in terms of market share. Infact not even android, just wp second ahead of ios.
    I hope so too. I tried WP, twice actually, but for me it still isn't quite there. I think when WP gets its act together and gets a bit closer to the big boys in features and functionality that recognition will come.

Anyway, im thinking boycotting google and making a negative fuss wont make them more willing to provide youtube and other google services.
    Correct, I also believe it won't accomplish much of anything. Not enough people will do it. Even if, say, every single WP user would boycott Google, the number would be insignificant. Users won't ditch Google because let's face it; whether or not we agree with their privacy policies & practices, Google's services are too good to ignore. (How many people have even heard of Vimeo?)
    cw1988 likes this.
    08-18-2013 01:41 PM
    I hope so too. I tried WP, twice actually, but for me it still isn't quite there. I think when WP gets its act together and gets a bit closer to the big boys in features and functionality that recognition will come.

Correct, I also believe it won't accomplish much of anything. Not enough people will do it. Even if, say, every single WP user would boycott Google, the number would be insignificant. Users won't ditch Google because let's face it; whether or not we agree with their privacy policies & practices, Google's services are too good to ignore. (How many people have even heard of Vimeo?)
    I'd agree that it's doubtful that it would accomplish much. However, every grassroots campaign has to start somewhere and laying down and just taking it certainly won't help matters. Even if it brings a little attention, that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. People can choose to take part or not, and for those that do, more power to you!
    08-18-2013 02:46 PM
    Their even trying to argue against British privacy laws - Google argues UK privacy laws do not apply to it - Telegraph
    08-19-2013 04:36 AM
72 123