Lets show Google we're fed up with their bad treatment of us Windows Phone Users!

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Deleted my Google account last year. YouTube to me is just like any trivia website on the internet which I occasionally visited to view videos without having to login. As and when I do use YouTube, its mainly for watching videos about Windows 8 & Windows Phone.
I am blissfully happy living in a Microsoft ecosystem ��

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Strange thing today, this morning 5:00am I deleted the you tube app yes the good add free version on my Lumia 822 and just got home from work like every other day and my battery is still at 94% when it is normally at about 44% just wondering if the you tube app was really bringing it down that much.
Nothing else was changed on the phone, settings or apps.

AneticsUK

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
As much as i'd like to see MS block all google products, a tit for tat war wont solve this issue, so far the media are showing MS as the victim,
while this is the case they'll gain support, but if the get into the whole "one-upmanship" thing it becomes hard to distinguish the good guys from the bad

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Original fault is with Microsoft for patent trolling every Android smart phone manufacturer. We seem to be the only ones suffering, though.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Original fault is with Microsoft for patent trolling every Android smart phone manufacturer. We seem to be the only ones suffering, though.

I disagree. The original fault is with Android OEM's for violating patents, without licensing agreements, to sell their equipment. The opportunity to license was there and they chose to go ahead anyway. It's hardly patent trolling, especially for a company built on the model MSFT was, to enforce the fees associated with their patent portfolio. It would be akin to Google not enforcing their advertising agreements and giving up that revenue. MSFT has been built on licensing agreements and intellectual property rights and to not enforce those, at this point in their business, would undermine the whole structure of the company.

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft should make their own video sharing website. I pretty much dropped everything google, in favor of Bing. The only barrier left is Youtube.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft should make their own video sharing website. I pretty much dropped everything google, in favor of Bing. The only barrier left is Youtube.

That would take a long time (years) to build up; if it ever turned into a viable competitor. We're still left with the same problems: Attracting new users, retaining existing users, etc.

We could all certainly live without, Google. The question is: Do we want to? While some of us could answer yes to that question, most of us would rather not have to.

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
That would take a long time (years) to build up; if it ever turned into a viable competitor. We're still left with the same problems: Attracting new users, retaining existing users, etc.

We could all certainly live without, Google. The question is: Do we want to? While some of us could answer yes to that question, most of us would rather not have to.
Yeah you're right about how long it would most likely take. However, I'm sure people would pounce on a viable competitor that contains all of the features YouTube lacks, or killed off in the past couple of years. There have been sites in the past that tried to compete with them, but ended up going under do to financial troubles. I hear and see constant complaints about googles frequent changes to YouTube and the million spam bots infesting the site already, but put up with it because there's no competition. If Microsoft was to buy a video sharing site off of someone else....hmmmm...

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you're right about how long it would most likely take. However, I'm sure people would pounce on a viable competitor that contains all of the features YouTube lacks, or killed off in the past couple of years. There have been sites in the past that tried to compete with them, but ended up going under do to financial troubles. I hear and see constant complaints about googles frequent changes to YouTube and the million spam bots infesting the site already, but put up with it because there's no competition. If Microsoft was to buy a video sharing site off of someone else....hmmmm...

I thought that I should clear up my position. I'm absolutely open to MS developing an alternative to Youtube. A viable competing option is long overdue. Not only would it benefit Windows/WP users, but everyone on other platforms. It would give all of us another option, but also, it would give Google incentive to develop Youtube along a path that many of us would probably prefer to see.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
However, I'm sure people would pounce on a viable competitor that contains all of the features YouTube lacks, or killed off in the past couple of years.

I doubt whether Microsoft or any other competitor would crack YouTube's dominance in the time that it will still be relevant in its current paradigm.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Not sure a petition will help. But as of yesterday, Google no longer has access to my data for their purposes.

Here's the easy step to remove your Google Account:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32046?hl=en

All I lost was my YouTube personalization - which wasn't much at all. Removing you doesn't give you the option of telling them why. But when I removed Google Chrome from my PC, they did let me share the reason I was leaving. I shared the URL to one of the many articles about them blocking the MSFT Phone YouTube app.

Now I'm 100% Google-free.

Make sure you get rid of the crap in the hidden directory google leaves behind even if you uninstall chrome. Otherwise, good job.
No matter how this turns out, I won't install chrome on any of my systems, ever.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it would be too hard to get some attention on a new video sharing site. All you would need is some big name celebrities or musicians to have exclusive videos on the new site and you would automatically get viewers to come over. Maybe host some exclusive episodes of some shows or partner with a major sports league.

The only hard thing is that embedding youtube videos on blogs, forums, sites etc is extremely easy since it has been coded in, and a new video site would require new embed features.

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm with the idea of Microsoft coming up with an alternative to Youtube. I realize that creating something from the ground up would be difficult and maybe not very viable. However, I think a partnership with Vimeo could work. The work is already done, all they'd need would be publicity and encouragement for people to post there.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
The root of the problem is the concept of software patents themselves. They grant software patents for some really vague things these days.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it would be too hard to get some attention on a new video sharing site. All you would need is some big name celebrities or musicians to have exclusive videos on the new site and you would automatically get viewers to come over. Maybe host some exclusive episodes of some shows or partner with a major sports league.

The only hard thing is that embedding youtube videos on blogs, forums, sites etc is extremely easy since it has been coded in, and a new video site would require new embed features.

Who exactly lol, not many people would mess with G, imaging G suspending accounts of some big names :p

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't use google anymore.

Bing searches and maps.
Here for mu journey planning etc
Outlook for email
Vimeo for video needs although i have always preferred it over youtube.

Google sucks, and what sucks more are the comments under the official app on the Microsoft store for youtube. People badmouthing Microsoft because the app doesn't work because they haven't researched the reasoning.

KKRLessey

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
True that! I just use Youtube and very seldom Google Books for research from Google. I never had an Android phone. Everything else is from Microsoft. Windows phone is always lag free. Just need more apps and more customization. It will be the best platform ever.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Funny , Google is actually harming its own users (youtube users) to destroy competing platform (WP8 userbase)

Lol wp isn't going to compete against android for a long long time. Fat chance with just 3℅ market share. Ms needs to improve/update windows mobile first with common features first and apps needs to grow faster in order to build user base otherwise its just a dying platform IMO

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Lol wp isn't going to compete against android for a long long time. Fat chance with just 3℅ market share. Ms needs to improve/update windows mobile first with common features first and apps needs to grow faster in order to build user base otherwise its just a dying platform IMO

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
May come sooner than expected due to the anti-google, anti-piracy reports going around recently

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb