State of Windows/Windows Phone OSes?

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I know people don't like to talk about this but as a Windows user I am becoming more and more concerned. They have just announced that Zune of Windows Vista and Windows 7 is no longer being supported. That means that you no longer have direct access (not sure how long Zune will work on Vista and 7) to XBox Music/Video - I do know that you can no longer purchase Music or Video thru the Zune client. How can Microsoft execute a "3 Screen Strategy" when it doesn't support a major component (7/Vista with 7 still being the dominant version of Windows and the end of life XP still reportedly on almost 500 million PCs)? Whats the level of support for Windows Phone 7/7.5/7.8 - is there any further app development, bug fixes, and even OS improvements still being made? Also, it's my understanding (I don't own a Windows Phone) that you still can't access XBox Videos on any Windows Phone handset - is that correct? How does MS expect companies to support their OSes with this little concern from MS for its own OSes?

Feel free to help me feel better about Windows going forward.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow, another post with the same theme. Please search the forums others have had similar questions as you have.

Microsoft is heading for a unified system. You can already see the base of it laid out. Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Xbox One (with Windows OS as one part) already share a common platform.
Apps created for windows phone can be ported to windows 8 with much more ease than before and windows apps I've heard can be run on xbox one.
The people who have access to microsoft's internal working say that the company re-org is meant to push on the unification.
Xbox music can now be accessed via website and I think they will make something for Windows 7 since Zune is now gone. But at least they have provided access to older devices.

They have supported XP for almost 13 years, it is one of the most successful OS and as usual people hate to change. People make a big fuss when they see new stuff, it is common.

I am guessing the support for Windows 7.8 ends next year (I might be wrong). This should be giving users more than 2 to 4 years with their devices, I am no expert, but I see many people replacing their devices every 2 (or at most 3 years). To those who bought a WP 7.8 device this year bad choice.
Microsoft: Xbox Video support finally comes to Windows Phone 8
I don't use XBox videos so I will not react on that.

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
MS has their head stuck so far up their rear end that they have no idea what they are doing

WP7 = remove all of the AWESOME features of Pocket PC (Windows Mobile) and turn it into a crapple device. If I wanted an Apple, I would have bought one.

Windows 8 = don't listen to a thing that the customers using the preview told you and shove that crap down our throats

Windows RT = What in the world is that? If they wanted to have a tablet os, REMOVE THE DIALER FROM WP 8 and use that.... could have saved yourself bajillions and had an instantly compatable platform.

Personally I do not believe Xbox is not gaming system but a means for MS to fleece you to death for every service offered...

dierre

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I know people don't like to talk about this but as a Windows user I am becoming more and more concerned. They have just announced that Zune of Windows Vista and Windows 7 is no longer being supported. That means that you no longer have direct access (not sure how long Zune will work on Vista and 7) to XBox Music/Video - I do know that you can no longer purchase Music or Video thru the Zune client. How can Microsoft execute a "3 Screen Strategy" when it doesn't support a major component (7/Vista with 7 still being the dominant version of Windows and the end of life XP still reportedly on almost 500 million PCs)? Whats the level of support for Windows Phone 7/7.5/7.8 - is there any further app development, bug fixes, and even OS improvements still being made? Also, it's my understanding (I don't own a Windows Phone) that you still can't access XBox Videos on any Windows Phone handset - is that correct? How does MS expect companies to support their OSes with this little concern from MS for its own OSes?

Feel free to help me feel better about Windows going forward.

windows is making power moves its my beloved blackberry that's the sinking ship. The unified platform is a great move they can and will more than become #3 platform OS the new windows 8 is so sexy what's not to like.

dba415

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 has been a failure. No enterprises have even upgraded and they aren't planning on it either. I see them skipping 8 entirely until Microsoft realizes and creates maybe a specific enterprise version without all the bells and whistles of windows 8. Corporations don't care and actually would rather not have employees being able to see their Facebook notifications on the os natively

raccoon210

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Windows 8 has been a failure. No enterprises have even upgraded and they aren't planning on it either. I see them skipping 8 entirely until Microsoft realizes and creates maybe a specific enterprise version without all the bells and whistles of windows 8. Corporations don't care and actually would rather not have employees being able to see their Facebook notifications on the os natively
corporations take their sweet time upgrading operating systems. Especially when they have something as solid as windows 7. Enterprises will eventually move on. Whether it'll be windows 8 or 9 it doesn't matter. My Mother's company is still on XP and my dads Is a mix of XP, vista and 7. We had Vista at school, then we got chromebooks this year. Anything is better than a chromebook. So unless corps. Wanna start buying Macs or learning Linux they dont have a choice
Edit: my mother was recently upgraded to W8 at work and they haven't had any problem.

Last edited:

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

O ye of little faith, stop passing judgments .Enterprise and Consumer facing products are completely different. Enterprise took long to move to Windows 7 ... moving to windows 8 would take a lot of effort which might not be in its favour. We saw the same happen with WIndows XP, many enterprises still used XP even though Windows 7 was released.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720