Productivity

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
If you get a Windows Phone, Office comes installed on the device for free. From there, you can have it sync to your SkyDrive. The only thing it's lacking so far is remote collaboration on a single Word doc (you can do this in OneNote, mind you, an app I've really fallen in love with). If one person is editing, another can only read. I believe in GoogleDocs two people can edit the same document at the same time.

So far, that's the only difference in their features and capabilities. I prefer Outlook/Hotmail for the cleaner UI look. I've always found GMail's UI to be just all over the place and cluttered. But that's all a personal preference.

I used Android phones for years before picking up Windows Phone, and I've found that I can get a ton more done on Windows Phone simply for the Office app they included. I've used DocsToGo and QuickOffice, and I found that they always lacked some feature I needed, whether it was viewing a special chart or making a bulleted list. I know that there's full Office for Android, but you have to pay for that whereas it comes free on Windows Phones.

A question I have for you, OP. Do you have to VPN or do any networking? If so, then I'd say stick with Android for a bit until MS fixes some of their issues with Windows Phone.

Oh, and my current phone is a Lumia 1020.

No I do not do vpn on my mobile devices, only on my desktop.

Is office in skydrive free?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
WP would be plenty for most people. Very few people actually use any phone to its full potential, people like to brag about their device, WP doesn't have that bragging feature.

It's true that virtually nobody uses a smartphone to its full potential, including WP. Some of WP's exclusive features though are useless to most users, such as Office. It's cool that it's integrated and free, and I use it, but most people don't. It reminds me of Microsoft's ad comparing the Surface RT to the iPad. Sure the Surface can do more, assuming what you want to do is edit a PowerPoint presentation. Features that WP is missing, such as rotation lock and separate volume controls, are what most users actually use.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
It's true that virtually nobody uses a smartphone to its full potential, including WP. Some of WP's exclusive features though are useless to most users, such as Office. It's cool that it's integrated and free, and I use it, but most people don't. It reminds me of Microsoft's ad comparing the Surface RT to the iPad. Sure the Surface can do more, assuming what you want to do is edit a PowerPoint presentation. Features that WP is missing, such as rotation lock and separate volume controls, are what most users actually use.

It's all about the little things....MS hasn't figured that out yet.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

And I do agree, the surface is a cool device but they need to advertise the features people actually use. I don't know many people that would be using Office strictly on a touch screen device. You have to buy the keyboard. Advertise features people will actually use.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

The thread is about productivity. Rotation lock and separate volume controls hardly qualifies. MS saw it fit to include Office for a segment of their clientele. They also included Facebook integration for another segment, Xbox for yet another. SkyDrive is WP8's bread and butter for those of us who use their devices for more than killing evil pigs or listening to music. Those who buy the Surface probably do it specifically for PowerPoint presentations. Different strokes for different folks y'all.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The thread is about productivity. Rotation lock and separate volume controls hardly qualifies. MS saw it fit to include Office for a segment of their clientele. They also included Facebook integration for another segment, Xbox for yet another. SkyDrive is WP8's bread and butter for those of us who use their devices for more than killing evil pigs or listening to music. Those who buy the Surface probably do it specifically for PowerPoint presentations. Different strokes for different folks y'all.

You are correct; I got off topic there. But even so, since Microsoft released an Office app for iOS & Android there's a lot less advantage to have a WP for Office. Even so, there are 3rd party Office apps for iOS & Android that some users report are better than Office on WP. I cannot verify this as I'm not an Office power user on my phone. The only disadvantage is that for iOS & Android's Office app you must have an Office 365 account. As more & more users get one though that will be less of an issue. Once you have the app and log in, all your documents, and SkyDrive, are available inside the app. And talking of productivity, WP's email restrictions alone are enough to cause someone to look elsewhere. Not to mention no VPN support, and a very poor Skype app. My company uses Lync, and we have users of all 3 platforms using the Lync app. There's no difference there between Android, iPhone, and WP in usefulness or performance.

I don't believe that overall WP has any advantage over the others in productivity, maybe with the exception of a few very specific situations. My boss, who is a Microsoft MVP, and a huge WP fan (at least he used to be!), has switched to Android. An iPhone probably every bit as productive, and an Android like a Note II would run circles around either in almost every area. WP has some advantages over the others, but increased productivity is not one of them.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Windows will always be productivity OS number 1. Windows 8 marketshare is now more than all of Mac OSX combined, Windows 8 isn't bad at all, it's on all my computers but it's in the same boat as WP8....it gets a bad rap, just because.

I think the ultimate productivity device will (hopefully) be the nex-gen surface. The original Surface Pro is kind of a wow with all it can do. If MS expands on that and gives it Haswell and battery life that is fantastic, my HP Pavilion m6 gets 7+ hours easily of battery life and includes the type/touch keyboard sub $1000 that would be an absolute winning combination.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You are correct; I got off topic there. But even so, since Microsoft released an Office app for iOS & Android there's a lot less advantage to have a WP for Office. Even so, there are 3rd party Office apps for iOS & Android that some users report are better than Office on WP. I cannot verify this as I'm not an Office power user on my phone. The only disadvantage is that for iOS & Android's Office app you must have an Office 365 account. As more & more users get one though that will be less of an issue. Once you have the app and log in, all your documents, and SkyDrive, are available inside the app. And talking of productivity, WP's email restrictions alone are enough to cause someone to look elsewhere. Not to mention no VPN support, and a very poor Skype app. My company uses Lync, and we have users of all 3 platforms using the Lync app. There's no difference there between Android, iPhone, and WP in usefulness or performance.

I don't believe that overall WP has any advantage over the others in productivity, maybe with the exception of a few very specific situations. My boss, who is a Microsoft MVP, and a huge WP fan (at least he used to be!), has switched to Android. An iPhone probably every bit as productive, and an Android like a Note II would run circles around either in almost every area. WP has some advantages over the others, but increased productivity is not one of them.

It's more productive. OneNote. Can't get it anywhere else. If you don't use it as your life saver, you wouldn't understand.

Yes, there are 3rd party options for Office like Docs To go, Quickoffice and others. SmartOffice (when used on webOS) is the closest. I have it on my work-issued iPhone 5 and it's nowhere near as good as the webOS version, much less MS Office. SkyDrive is available on iOS and Android but again, not as complete as native SkyDrive (no access to OneNote). I've tried EverNote on Android & webOS and it won't replace OneNnote anytime soon. It's popular with the Apple & Android crowd for the obvious reason, but it's not in the same league.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
It's more productive. OneNote. Can't get it anywhere else. If you don't use it as your life saver, you wouldn't understand.

Yes, there are 3rd party options for Office like Docs To go, Quickoffice and others. SmartOffice (when used on webOS) is the closest. I have it on my work-issued iPhone 5 and it's nowhere near as good as the webOS version, much less MS Office. SkyDrive is available on iOS and Android but again, not as complete as native SkyDrive (no access to OneNote). I've tried EverNote on Android & webOS and it won't replace OneNnote anytime soon. It's popular with the Apple & Android crowd for the obvious reason, but it's not in the same league.

Why do you think OneNote is so good? Honest question...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Why do you think OneNote is so good? Honest question...

For one, multiple voice dictations in one note. Second, the ability to retrieve it through SkyDrive. Third, being able to convert Journal ink notes into text on my desktop and saving back into SkyDrive.

Nothing wrong with your question, that's what this community is supposed to be all about. If you start using OneNote and you really like it, didn't a complete stranger make your life easier?

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
For one, multiple voice dictations in one note. Second, the ability to retrieve it through SkyDrive. Third, being able to convert Journal ink notes into text on my desktop and saving back into SkyDrive.

Nothing wrong with your question, that's what this community is supposed to be all about. If you start using OneNote and you really like it, didn't a complete stranger make your life easier?

I've played around with Evernote......okay, downloading is the farthest I've gotten. How does OneNote compare to Evernote?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

OneNote has been on the other platforms for ages.

Sent from my Nexus 4

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
OneNote has been on the other platforms for ages.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Yes, but not with the same features. The free version is good for about 500 notes, if I'm not mistaken, then you have to pay the man. It's just not the same, I've tried them. If you wish to include Windows Mobile 5 & 6.x as other platforms, that's really splitting hairs.

dqgeek

May 11, 2012
Visit site
The Office apps on WP are free, no Office 365 subscription required and save automatically to SkyDrive. If you get the Office 365 apps on other platforms, you'll need to have an Office 365 subscription.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
OneNote also allows for live collaboration with others, without having to go into a browser. If they have OneNote, they can edit the doc along with you, including adding more voice dictations, images, lists, etc (I use OneNote, and it's a god send, if you ask me).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs