Any new phones coming out soon? Thinking of switching.

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
IPhone 5s and 5c with many android phones including the new watch are said to be coming out in Sept.

Today is Sept 1st and I still don't have a GDR2/Amber update for my L920 for ATT.

I'm not interested in the "phablet" phone. 6 inch is too big for my liking.

I really love Nokia and the Lumia line. I don't want to switch, but the lack of features, apps and updates are really starting to get to me. Even lack of app updates. All the apps I have are better on the IPhone and Android devices. More features and frequently updated.

Not going to lie, I kind of wish Nokia Lumia's were available for android.

This is their last chance to get me to stay with them. It's all about the next phones they will be producing.

Anyone have any idea on what to expect and when?

Thanks.

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Just be careful about thinking that the grass is always greener on the other side. The other platforms have other problems too. Ones that you may be forgetting about because you're not using it. Are the missing features from WP8 really that awful? Awful enough to give up on all the great things about WP8 and Nokia? I have to remind myself every once in a while. I really hope there's more that Nokia announces at the end of the month!!

89caps

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what yo expect from Nokia, but you know they are releasing a phone every quarter now. With regards to app updates and other updates, you just have to be patient. No WP is still not top priority, but the quality of apps and updates have started coming in on a much faster schedule and I've been on WP since 2010. There is a way too much I like about this platform to switch back to iOS. I should also say that I have an iPhone 4s for work and it is not compelling enough to use as my daily driver. Android has never been able to hold my attention and I've bought and sold a Nexus 7. Patience and you will have a lot less to complain about after the next 6 months with the upcoming updates and apps.

maxnicks

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I'd suggest you switch out to Android. They have continual updates.

Use it heavy for a week. You'll then know what you miss from WP8 which will allow you to make a decision based on knowledge instead of heresay. You get to try the phone for 2 weeks.

Sent from my Imsai8080

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I'd suggest you switch out to Android. They have continual updates.

Use it heavy for a week. You'll then know what you miss from WP8 which will allow you to make a decision based on knowledge instead of heresay. You get to try the phone for 2 weeks.

Sent from my Imsai8080

Unless your phone is not s3/4 and you are stuck with gingerbread (which is about 40% )

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice and warnings.

Someone said wait 6 months. Not sure what that means. Are they supposed to be caught up in 6 months? I'm still waiting for the GDR2/Amber update. Which is supposed to be a small update. These updates are basically giving you what IPhone and Androids already have.

A phone is a phone. I'm sure they all have strengths and weaknesses, but in the end, they all get the job done. They're also all beautiful phones.

I'm a consumer. Not a supporter.

I think I'll wait another month and see if something happens. Maybe they'll announce something I won't want to turn down. If not, I'm jumping ship.

I'll be back if they ever compete.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Someone said wait 6 months. Not sure what that means. Are they supposed to be caught up in 6 months? I'm still waiting for the GDR2/Amber update. Which is supposed to be a small update. These updates are basically giving you what IPhone and Androids already have.

A phone is a phone. I'm sure they all have strengths and weaknesses, but in the end, they all get the job done. They're also all beautiful phones.

I think I'll wait another month and see if something happens. Maybe they'll announce something I won't want to turn down. If not, I'm jumping ship.

I don't know how WP updates work, but I know that I can install leaks on my BlackBerry. Since the GDR2 for the 920 has already been released (AT&T hasn't approved it yet), is there a way to manually install it? I really have no clue

What is wrong with the 925 or the 1020 as an upgrade? I also don't get what you mean when you say that GDR2 gives you what is already available in iOS and Android. To me, it sort of seems that you are looking for reasons to jump ship. There's nothing wrong with it, but there's no sense in acting as it you want to stay. If it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I think they will announce a smaller phone (920 or the One's size) at the Nokia event. If they don't, then maybe CES or MWC. I'm sorry, but we really don't know. There is a rumored Samsung windows phone with most GDR3 specs, but you want Lumia. I guess we will have to wait and see what devices will come out, and how the new iPhones and android phones turn out.

Lych

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The new phones thing is something that has been bugging me as well for the past couple of months. I'll finally be able to switch phones in October (currently on a L800) and have no idea what to get, as the currently available WP8 devices just aren't that appealing to me. The only two that I somewhat like are the 8X and the L925, but none of them amaze me that much (based on size, looks, overall design, etc).

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
All the big names Android phones (including note 3 in 3 days) have been already released for 2013. If you didn't find it worthwhile to switch before, why would you do it now when a new set of windows phones are due to come out in the next couple of months. Just be patient a little bit more. WP OEMs have been halted by OS limitations. When GDR3 comes out, expect great hardware from likes of Nokia, Samsung and HTC. I am looking forward to a new all aluminum HTC "Eight" myself. I think Nokia has proven itself to be valuable WP Manufactures. I somehow think we will all be pleasantly surprised of what HTC will bring to the table in fall.

George Jenkinson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I would caution the "grass is greener" view with a switch to Apple/Android.

I've had iPhone 5, Nexus 4 and Samsung Ace 2 this year. I wouldn't go back to any of them and the following are my observations, based on my experience.

Remember that Apple released a hopeless maps app, which to my knowledge they haven't corrected. With a brand new iOS coming, there could well be some glitches too. I'm not sure how fast they push out updates. You pay more in Apples app store for the same app on Android.

With Android, you need to be happy for Google to know everything about you. Yes, they tailor the service to you based on your usage, but then they sell that info to others for advertising etc. MS might do the same, but whether it's to the same degree I don't know. My experience with Samsung is OK and laggy, but not great.

If you really want to swap, have you thought about Blackberry?

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes...the low end Android devices. New high end Android devices have Jelly Bean

Not sure where you are posting from but you'd have to get a super-low end phone to get gingerbread - here's an example of what ?89 buys you in android land:

Android 4.1.2
1.2GHz Qualcomm 8225Q Quad-Core CortexA5 chip with Adreno 203 GPU
1GB RAM
4GB storage with microSD
4" 800x480 IPS display
5 megapixel rear camera with auto focus & flash
Front camera
1720 mAh battery
Bluetooth, GPS

ZTE Blade V Quad core PAYG phone on sale on 4th Sep - ?89.99 @ Virgin Mobile - Hot UK Deals

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not sure where you are posting from but you'd have to get a super-low end phone to get gingerbread - here's an example of what ?89 buys you in android land:

ZTE Blade V Quad core PAYG phone on sale on 4th Sep - ?89.99 @ Virgin Mobile - Hot UK Deals

Not sure why I am quoted because I am agreeing with you. My post was a response to someone who said that the OP wouldn't benefit from Android because a lot of devices are Gingerbread. My "low end" comment was mainly aimed at emerging market Android devices.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Unless some BIG new features come with GDR3 models (very soon depending on carrier), I would wait or buy a off contract model now.

If you buy any device, it's going to be the same but different. What I mean, is the OS is exactly the same (not the differences between Android front ends, like HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc) but, the hardware will be different (different shape, screen/screen size) but all models will be pretty close for feature set. Windows Phone 8 GDR2 models will not be different between brands.

With that being said, if we get some GDR3 models with Quad core and 1080p screens with 32/64gb options with a MicroSD card, it might be time to move on them but, I don't see anything like that till WP 8.5/9....(the next major OS change)

Just because we get a phone with a Million cores or 4K res, it does not make any difference till the Devs actually support the new hardware, so even that could take time.

Zaxiusii

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Amen to that. I have been using Android for years. I am a Technology purchasing agent for my company and have purchased many new devices and tested them all. I tried the iphone 5 for a few months. I was not impressed. I hate Apples Calendar app and the maps is a joke. Siri was never able to do much outside of search the web, call or text for me and punctuations I placed in th etext sometimes came out as a word rather than the punctuation I wanted. You cant talk normal or it doesn't understand you and have to talk slow. By the time I said it I could have texted it anyway. I went to Lumia 928 a few weeks ago and am a pretty thorough person when it comes to putting phones through paces. I think Nokia offers the best options. WP8 apps look so much better and while I wish I could change my notification sounds the Nokia apps in Windows Store are great from Ring tone maker to augmented reality applications. While I do prefer downloading my music from Amazon and then just connecting to my PC to move the files. I was able to retag all my music well enough to get a very Jukebox like interface for my music which was better than any other phones bumbling music settings. I can easily play Genre music or pick favorites to play etc. while in the car. The games are quite interesting. My 5 year old is addicted to the Shuffle Board bowling game from XBOX games. While the Windows Store has only 1/3 the size of Apple or Android, they store itself is 3 years old and legitimately really only 1.5 years into Microsofts commitment to compete in this arena. So to have 1/3 the store size and 80% of the top apps available is quite impressive. I personally found every App I was interested in and love the integration of Microsoft apps like, Skype, SkyDrive, One Note, Office, and XBOX features. I have found the Lumia 928 very intuitive and WP8 is more configurable than iphones for sure. They are not quite there yet with Android but we will see what GDR3 brings to these devices and here's to hoping better support and more frequent updates come in the future to address challenges and add functions and features that other phone OS's already have enjoyed. I have never in 14 years of messing with phones had gotten so much use out of a smart phone. The only thing I would like to see added to the Store is the TV Guide App from TV Guide directly as I love that app on my iphone. It notifies me of upcoming shows and none of the Windows Store apps that do this are anywhere close to the convenience. Outside of that I have everything I had on my Android and iphone on my Lumia 928 so I can complain. The bonus is they look so much better on the Lumia.

maxnicks

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I may consider stepping up from my Nokia 928 to the Verizon version of the 1520 when it comes out. It looks pretty spectacular IMHO. Of course my humble opinion has been likened to a horse's rear end more than once.

Last edited:

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

What they most likely meant by "wait 6 months" is that with GDR3 around the corner there's bound to be some fancy new WP8 devices getting ready to hit the shelves. I'm not sure what your need for GDR2 is since your complaint was mostly with the app situation. WP8 won't become a priority for app developers for some time yet. If that's not alright with you then you don't really have much of a choice but iOS or Android. It's a simple market share issue.

GDR3 will allow manufacturers to incorporate better hardware, which means more competitive high-end phones. If you're looking for better hardware, it's bound to be coming out in the near future. WP8.1 is also not too far off, and it should bring some pretty major overhauls to the OS, with many changes the community has been asking for.

As someone who came from long-time Android use, I don't even think about switching back. There are some apps that I wish I had, yes. However my life goes on and in my case the pros far outweigh the cons.

I converted to an L928 from an HTC Evo 3D. I bought the phone when it had just come out and was competing with the Motorola Photon as one of the highest-end Android phones available. Just a year later I had to root the phone in order to be able to get the latest version of Android on it because HTC didn't even think to provide updates. Android isn't much better (if anything, they are worse) than other platforms at providing updates. Granted, it's probably more of an OEM issue than Google themselves, but still.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon