The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-07-2013 09:10 AM
488 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    So, Nokia could buy HTC, bring their people back from Microsoft to work in HTC and in 2016 rebrand from HTC to Nokia?
    ...yes, but why?
    09-03-2013 11:56 AM
    So, Nokia could buy HTC, bring their people back from Microsoft to work in HTC and in 2016 rebrand from HTC to Nokia?
    And start losing a ton of money again? I guess they technically could.
    09-03-2013 12:01 PM
    I want whatever it is you're smoking!

If it was Nokia's intention to remain a player in the smartphone business, then this the stupidest transaction in the history of business. If you're not high, then I assume you are in the first stage of grieving... denial.
    09-03-2013 12:05 PM
    I think it was the smartest move EVER made in the smartphones segment.. read my mind.. :

You're now supported (for always) by one of the most giants company in the world, where their pocket is way too big, while nokia by itself wasn't..

Just compare windows systems to windows phone system...

-Windows XP - BIG hit, just like symbian with N95

-Windows vista - It was a ''failure'', but it opened the doors for the future, showing a perfect UI although it had bugs and optimization had to be made (just like wp7)

-Windows 7 - such a big hit, faster and smarter, the system just got perfect (windows phone 8, although sales could be better and they will now.)

-Windows 8 - everyone who knows and understand of tech, knows that this is a perfect system with a great UI, fast and most of all: stable.
    Which windows phone is yet to see (windows phone 9?)

Sum up:

Microsoft has always been improving their products, smartphones are the future, and I'm sure microsoft DOES NOT WANT to stay out of it, they bough NOKIA, a big company which is trusted by EVERYONE, by it's name, reability and trustness.

Just like the windows ecosystem, windows phone has been improving, sales are growing and it will be a big hit, we can see that microsoft's position will chance from now on, smartphones are today the biggest market along with pc's/tablets, and now nokia has money.. improvement are coming guys, take your popcorn and watch the future happening.
    09-03-2013 12:07 PM
    You do realize that Nokia was in a financial freefall and losing market share by leaps and bounds BEFORE Elop got there, right?
    Eh no. Nokia was at 40% market share when Elop took over. After the window phone announcement, Nokia went into freefall.
    09-03-2013 12:09 PM
    ...yes, but why?
    Why didn't Nokia licensed the Nokia brand to Microsoft for smartphones? Because they have plans.
    09-03-2013 12:10 PM
    Eh no. Nokia was at 40% market share when Elop took over. After the window phone announcement, Nokia went into freefall.
    Exactly.. I think Elop and MS should be investigated. I now believe that Elop is a insider for MS.
    09-03-2013 12:12 PM
    MS was responsible for Nokia's freefall? Love the revisionist history here.

Hate to break it to some of you but Nokia had become irrelevant until MS propped them up again.
    09-03-2013 12:16 PM
    I want whatever it is you're smoking!

If it was Nokia's intention to remain a player in the smartphone business, then this the stupidest transaction in the history of business. If you're not high, then I assume you are in the first stage of grieving... denial.
    7 billion is a lot of money and they are free from the WP exclusivity.
    Why they didn't license the Nokia brand to Microsoft for smartphones, only for feature phones?
    09-03-2013 12:17 PM
    God damn people are so confused here. :D

1. Microsoft bought Nokia's Devices &Services business. This includes half of Nokia's workforce and 7 factories around the globe, plus more.
    2. Nokia owns its patents and name. It licenses both to Microsoft for 1.4 billion euros. Patent license is for 10 years.
    No Microsoft acquired KEY Nokia/Qualcomm licenses and IP. The bulk of the patents were licensed but the mobile meat and potatoes stuff Microsoft got, and they will presumably use it to sue the pants of any android infringers.
    09-03-2013 12:21 PM
    7 billion is a lot of money and they are free from the WP exclusivity.
    Why they didn't license the Nokia brand to Microsoft for smartphones, only for feature phones?
    Nokia is out of the phone business.

Pretty soon they will be out of business altogether after AAPL or GOOG snatches HERE.

I can see AAPL making a premium offer for HERE in the next two years. They want to be in everyone's car and HERE already is.
    09-03-2013 12:23 PM
    Nokia is out of the phone business.

Pretty soon they will be out of business altogether after AAPL or GOOG snatches HERE.

I can see AAPL making a premium offer for HERE in the next two years. They want to be in everyone's car and HERE already is.

I don't think they are out.

Motorola is a google company and you still see: '' NEW motorola moto x, buy now'', not ''Google moto x, buy now''
    09-03-2013 12:34 PM
    Nokia is out. They have two pieces left, NSN and HERE. Somebody visionary like Google might pick up NSN to deploy their own networks. GOOG could also devour HERE to completely seal up the LBS business, but I suspect AAPL would want it more.
    09-03-2013 12:42 PM

That threat is so obvious, there is no way MS hasn't put up road blocks to prevent that scenario from becoming reality.

In Microsoft's press release we find the following:

"In addition, Microsoft will become a strategic licensee of the HERE platform, and will separately pay Nokia for a four-year license."

I have no idea what it means to become a "strategic licensee", but I'd bet my house that it involves at least a few guards against the scenario you've mentioned
    09-03-2013 12:47 PM
    So its real

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails 1239921_421406364642527_60355903_n_jpg.jpg  
    VinceGio likes this.
    09-03-2013 12:49 PM
    Exactly.. I think Elop and MS should be investigated. I now believe that Elop is a insider for MS.

so i say Trojan elpo. He was sent to nokia by ms to bring nokia down to ground
    And buy it at cheap. Elpo ia boe again a part of ms. Traffic jam Trojan

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    09-03-2013 12:54 PM
    Why are people dead set on calling Elop a Trojan? In my eyes he helped save Nokia. The effort Nokia put into WP is the reason I own a Nokia once more. He has brought someone back who left after a sour experience with them in the past (Nokia 5800). I would say he has done alright.
    thegamevg likes this.
    09-03-2013 12:56 PM
    Elop will always be the one who killed Symbian and also the N9. Cannot make everyone happy.
    09-03-2013 12:58 PM
    MS likely has clauses that give them the right of first refusal is HERE stuff goes on the market. Nokia is probably contractually obligated under this purchase agreement to offer to MS first. Only Apple would be viable as Google acquiring HERE would probably not be approved by regulators.
    a5cent likes this.
    09-03-2013 01:02 PM
    Eh yes. They had market share because of a huge install base from existing customers who didn't buy new phones yet.

But their sales, especially in smartphones, were already going down the tubes.
    09-03-2013 01:02 PM
    Why are people dead set on calling Elop a Trojan? In my eyes he helped save Nokia. The effort Nokia put into WP is the reason I own a Nokia once more. He has brought someone back who left after a sour experience with them in the past (Nokia 5800). I would say he has done alright.
    I agree.. The acquisition might well have been a long-term goal from the very start, but Nokia was losing the smartphone game until WP came into the picture...
    Its all about ecosystems now, and it is going to turn out better for BOTH Nokia AND Microsoft !

BTW..My last phone was a Nokia 5800 as well .. 2 months strong with the Lumia 920 now...
    HeyCori likes this.
    09-03-2013 01:23 PM
    one upside is maybe now Microsoft can rename SkyDrive to LumiaDrive lol
    HeyCori likes this.
    09-03-2013 01:30 PM
    I don't know what to say yet. It's too early. Microsoft better have those 15% of market share by 2018, otherwise I'll get really angry!
    09-03-2013 01:49 PM
    Why didn't Nokia licensed the Nokia brand to Microsoft for smartphones?
    ...not sure what you mean. They did license the Nokia brand.
    09-03-2013 01:56 PM
    important to note that license is extended to existing devices (and probably devices in the pipe) New stuff Microsoft needs to brand themselves and they can't use the name on any Smartphones.
    09-03-2013 01:59 PM
488 ... 89101112 ...