10-07-2013 09:10 AM
488 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    The effort Nokia put into WP is the reason I own a Nokia once more.
    When I got my first WP8 device a buddy of mine at work asked what phone I had purchased. "It's a Nokia Lumia 920, a brand new Windows Phone," I told him. He paused for a minute. "They still make phones?" he asked.
    09-03-2013 01:59 PM
    Mixed feelings about this
    I think it was unavoidable, MS had no choice but to buy Nokia as they had become WP8 - what do you think would have happened if nokia had turned around and said that they were no longer going to support WP8 and were moving to Android (just for an example), MS would have been in real trouble with no HW manufacturer, so they had to do this.
    The bad bit is that I feel Nokia actually pushed MS to get better about WP8, they were under pressure to sell more phones so used the partnership to improve the OS to sell more. I love the fact that I was always getting a constant stream of Nokia based updates for my phone and I felt that their exclusive apps added value to the OS and I can't see this continuing in the same way now that Nokia are part of MS, they will be absorbed into the MS culture and just run to the same tune as the rest of the company.
    Nokia and MS made each other better as partners, as part of the same company they won't push each other in the same way and we will lose out.
    MS had no choice but to make this deal, we will have to wait and see how it works for us..
    Boris Lozac and pengfoong like this.
    09-03-2013 01:59 PM
    it will work out. It brings a supreme amount of confidence to enterprise deployments who had to worry if signing on with Nokia would be worse than BBRY who we all know is going away. Microsoft making their own phones is going to put some much needed temperament to the whole BYOD fad that's been going on. At the end of the day it is big business accounts that sell phones and rack up sales. Now Microsoft can sell phones DIRECTLY to businesses who are then free to pick whatever carrier they want.
    09-03-2013 02:13 PM
    it will work out. It brings a supreme amount of confidence to enterprise deployments who had to worry if signing on with Nokia would be worse than BBRY who we all know is going away. Microsoft making their own phones is going to put some much needed temperament to the whole BYOD fad that's been going on. At the end of the day it is big business accounts that sell phones and rack up sales. Now Microsoft can sell phones DIRECTLY to businesses who are then free to pick whatever carrier they want.
    This is not the enterprise world, I doubt if enterprises will pick up a phone that doesn't even support VPN after all this time.

The iPhone didn't get to its place by being the enterprise's #1 choice - it got there by being the people's choice. And people make the decisions at these companies as well. Even if all the big corporates do go WP, how much is that? 5-10 million, assuming of course that not all 2.1 million of Walmart's employees will get a phone...

Finally, you miss the biggest driver of BYOD - costs. Even with the varied platforms, any company will save money by just having their employees use their own devices (not considering instances where the company pays for the phone of the employee's choice, and that is anyway going to be 90% Apple or Android).
    09-03-2013 02:27 PM
    ...not sure what you mean. They did license the Nokia brand.
    They didn't, apparently. MS cannot brand any smartphones they manufacture with the Nokia name. They can for feature phones, but NOT for smartphones. I don't get it either. That's going to lose them a LOT of market share in countries like India where the Nokia name means a lot.
    09-03-2013 02:31 PM
    I don't think they are out.

Motorola is a google company and you still see: '' NEW motorola moto x, buy now'', not ''Google moto x, buy now''
    Too soon to say. Let's see what happens with the next gen.
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-03-2013 02:34 PM
    This is not the enterprise world, I doubt if enterprises will pick up a phone that doesn't even support VPN after all this time.

The iPhone didn't get to its place by being the enterprise's #1 choice - it got there by being the people's choice. And people make the decisions at these companies as well. Even if all the big corporates do go WP, how much is that? 5-10 million, assuming of course that not all 2.1 million of Walmart's employees will get a phone...

Finally, you miss the biggest driver of BYOD - costs. Even with the varied platforms, any company will save money by just having their employees use their own devices (not considering instances where the company pays for the phone of the employee's choice, and that is anyway going to be 90% Apple or Android).
    I don't think you are getting it. BYOD is largely a myth. It may have started out as bring your own device, but increasingly companies are paying for your device, and just letting you use it personally. To do this it is a cumbersome mess on Apple and a nightmare on Android. Most enterprises are Microsoft powered..that's a fact jack. Companies can sit there and gripe about Microsoft but they'd be up ***** creek without a paddle if they didn't have Exchange or Office. No phone integrates better with either than Windows Phone. Your VPN straw man is an old clich, and just a ruse IT bigots use to bash Microsoft. I have never seen anyone need VPN on their phone. On a tablet or laptop yes. Email still comes through SSL ActiveSync, and can even tunnel through links to SharePoint. With O365 becoming a norm, Lync and other Office products work in the cloud.
    Cleavitt76 likes this.
    09-03-2013 02:53 PM
    This is the primary opportunity.

Smartphones for the mass market are almost saturated -- no significant growth opportunity. Real volume opportunity is in the enterprise; MS is much stronger than Google and Apple there.

Enterprise connectivity and interoperability will drive any growth in the smartphone segment, and MS is best positioned to leverage it.
    09-03-2013 02:53 PM
    Soon I'll have a Nokmysocksoft Windows Phone! LOL!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-03-2013 03:00 PM
    I really don't understand people like you. I didn't know Nokia had their own iSheep.

Ask yourself what is in a brand name? Is there any chance the talent and creativity of the people behind the brand had anything to do with it? Well guess what? Those people still work in the exact same place. They aren't all going to vanish into thin air. They will continue to operate in the exact same way (except for taxes and those managing the payroll). It's still the same bunch of people and even the leadership team is staying exactly the same. If you liked what the designers and engineers did for you in the past, then there is no reason to dislike them now.
    This is the part of the deal I was missing when I first heard about it. The creative team and the manufacturing arm stays with the mobile arm. Throw in how much the HERE services will improve with Nokia now totally committed to it and that most of the services designed for WP by Nokia (Music, City Lens) stays with the creative side of the purchase, and I am at ease for the next couple years. Not only that, take these creative forces, put them in CHARGE of WP for the next couple years, and this is a good deal. The only down side is losing the Nokia brand in the countries where Nokia is trusted. MS needs to keep the "Lumia XXX" for the purpose of keeping the name association, and they did indeed get the "Lumia" name.

In fact, why use "Microsoft" branding at all? Change ALL mobile devices branding to Lumia, even the "Surface" tablet line. Then the brand association isn't with MS, but with what Nokia established.
    MrCartas and a5cent like this.
    09-03-2013 03:19 PM
    You do realize that Nokia was in a financial freefall and losing market share by leaps and bounds BEFORE Elop got there, right?
    and you do realise that 2% freefall is not the same as 20% freefall? Also you do realise that Nokia would fare a lot better if it went MultiOS route (like Samsung who had Bada Symbian Android WP at the same time) instead of WP only?!

how could anyone deny that is beyond me
    09-03-2013 03:24 PM
    and you do realise that 2% freefall is not the same as 20% freefall? Also you do realise that Nokia would fare a lot better if it went MultiOS route (like Samsung who had Bada Symbian Android WP at the same time) instead of WP only?!

how could anyone deny that is beyond me
    The board of directors disagree with you.

Nokia wasn't in the financial position to split their focus among multiple OSes. Resources were limited. The division was sinking and they couldn't just throw money in several places.

It may be "beyond" you, but that is what the situation was.
    a5cent and Nogitsune Micah like this.
    09-03-2013 03:45 PM
    There's no point arguing.

According to the Nokia fan club MS is pure evil that destroyed Nokia and Nokia would have been the next Samsung if it wasn't for MS' meddling.
    09-03-2013 03:49 PM

According to the Nokia fan club MS is pure evil that destroyed Nokia and Nokia would have been the next Samsung if it wasn't for MS' meddling.
    I'm in the Nokia fan club!

I'm sad that I won't see Nokia branding on future smart phones.

But I'm not as silly as some others.
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-03-2013 03:51 PM
    Also you do realise that Nokia would fare a lot better if it went MultiOS route
    Life must be happy in FantasyLand. :)
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-03-2013 04:10 PM
    The board of directors disagree with you.

Nokia wasn't in the financial position to split their focus among multiple OSes. Resources were limited. The division was sinking and they couldn't just throw money in several places.

It may be "beyond" you, but that is what the situation was.
    The results disagree with BoD, also you don't need to focus on all of them, just offer them to buyers, you bet that Samsung didn't focus on his WP devices...but still sold them (and is still selling them).

Also all those buildings and assets elop has sold could be sold by anyone else, it's not the rocket science really.

I don't state it would have been Samsung but it would certainly have a lot bigger marketshare and nobody can deny that. It would be impossible for Nokia to sell less phones than it is selling nowadays, the first question when you show your WP phone to other people is "why is it not Android?".
    09-03-2013 04:16 PM
    These to improve and make more
    09-03-2013 04:27 PM
    it would certainly have a lot bigger marketshare and nobody can deny that.
    Anyone with a clear head can deny it. Samsung *IS* Android in the same way that Nokia *IS* Windows Phone; how are all the other Android manufacturers doing these days? HTC, who has been at it as long as Samsung? Or LG? Yeah, they've got great marketshare and they just keep getting better.

Nokia would not have survived had they adopted Android, or split their resource pool to support Android and something else. By becoming the de facto standard for WP, they carved out a niche for themselves which has kept them going instead of getting squashed. That's the reality.
    09-03-2013 04:28 PM
    one only needs to look at HTC to see how that strategy has worked out.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-03-2013 04:35 PM
    Anyone with a clear head can deny it. Samsung *IS* Android in the same way that Nokia *IS* Windows Phone; how are all the other Android manufacturers doing these days? HTC, who has been at it as long as Samsung? Or LG? Yeah, they've got great marketshare and they just keep getting better.

Nokia would not have survived had they adopted Android, or split their resource pool to support Android and something else. By becoming the de facto standard for WP, they carved out a niche for themselves which has kept them going instead of getting squashed. That's the reality.
    Well we never know what would have happened. I am sure Samsung is king now but if you look every where, since android is free, every tom ,**** and harry are producing phones from china and getting market share.. and they are very very cheap. I am sure Samsung will be slayed as well but since they are in control of all of their hardware they may get thru it.

Other than that, Andriod means blood bath for all those companies trying to have a good margin.
    09-03-2013 04:39 PM
    Guys, I didn't understand 2 things.. I know that microsoft only bough a part of nokia but.. :

1- Why nokia can build phones with it's name on it exactly on 2016? (why this date? since they're from microsoft) and how could they move to android since they're from microsoft now?

2- I don't get this jolla company, could someone explain to me what's the relation between nokia and jolla?

Sorry for my stupidness, just trying to understand..

I believe this a great/big deal, smartphones are today's biggest role on the market, and microsoft wants to make part of it, at least for me, it signed this today when it bought nokia.. I think they're going to dive now as they can to get market, and nokia teams will continue under microsoft's hood, which is a good thing, since it has a big pocket and the head guys on nokia still continue, meaning that we will see GREAT phones in the future..

nokia needs microsoft money and microsoft needs nokia to improve on smartphones market.
    09-03-2013 04:44 PM
    2- I don't get this jolla company, could someone explain to me what's the relation between nokia and jolla?.
    Jolla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (read the section on the companies history)
    AndreStudart likes this.
    09-03-2013 04:47 PM
    Jolla is made up of all the pissed off MeeGo people that left Nokia when MS made the WP deal. They forked MeeGo into Sailfish OS and released a phone in May.....what never heard of it? That speaks to its success.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-03-2013 04:48 PM
    Jolla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (read the section on the companies history)
    thanks, now I understand the relation between then.. but I still don't get it, all that was left from nokia is here maps and NSN; How could they build smartphones with it's brand again in 2016 since their principal part it's from microsoft now and how could they move to android?
    09-03-2013 04:57 PM
    Hostile takeover!!

MS will canonise Elop for taking Nokia down from the inside...very shrewd ;)

Overall, this is pretty good news. It has been on the cards so not much of a surprise.

I just hope WP is opened up a little bit but accept that isn't very likely.
    09-03-2013 04:58 PM
488 ... 910111213 ...