10-07-2013 09:10 AM
488 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    If Elop has taken the WP route just to gain CEO position in MS, Isn't that selfish?
    09-04-2013 11:46 AM
    So over on the Nokia conversations blog, turns out the Nokia/Lumia branding might not be used for future windows phones for sake of unity. Are they going to revive the Zune (omg *squeals like a little girl*) ? Or could using a dead products branding be a bad idea? Come on guys lets look the future, what do you guys think is gonna happen to the brand name?
    09-04-2013 11:47 AM
    Good bye Nokia. Good bye windows phones.
    09-04-2013 11:49 AM
    don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.
    09-04-2013 11:52 AM
    So over on the Nokia conversations blog, turns out the Nokia/Lumia branding might not be used for future windows phones for sake of unity. Are they going to revive the Zune (omg *squeals like a little girl*) ? Or could using a dead products branding be a bad idea? Come on guys lets look the future, what do you guys think is gonna happen to the brand name?
    They are going to call the smartphones Zune and the Ashas KIN....it will be a resounding success LOL.
    tgp likes this.
    09-04-2013 11:53 AM
    If Elop has taken the WP route just to gain CEO position in MS, Isn't that selfish?
    I was thinking about that too, lol.
    09-04-2013 11:54 AM
    Who said not going to buy? all say they will miss the Nokia Brand...
    You must have missed the endless comments on the main page and posts here about people abandoning WP now that MS acquired Nokia.
    09-04-2013 11:55 AM
    Removing the Lumia brand would be a mistake. Microsoft might as well start form scratch with Windows Phone if they're gonna do that.
    09-04-2013 11:59 AM
    And the entire board of directors for Nokia was in on the selfish conspiracy too?
    09-04-2013 11:59 AM
    You must have missed the endless comments on the main page and posts here about people abandoning WP now that MS acquired Nokia.
    Nokia makes Windows Phones a software product of Microsoft. It doesn't make sense to give up on Windows Phones now that Nokia has been bought in part by Microsoft. Why is it so easy to see the negative rather than the positive? Most of us purchased the phones based on excellent hardware by Nokia and a young and growing Windows Phone OS. Unification should make things better.
    09-04-2013 12:03 PM
    So over on the Nokia conversations blog, turns out the Nokia/Lumia branding might not be used for future windows phones for sake of unity.
    Where did you read that? MS is specifically buying the Lumia/Asha names. Why would they buy them and not use them? Just to make sure no one else does?
    09-04-2013 12:06 PM
    09-04-2013 12:10 PM
    Yup. I missed the comments between #180 and#300 :P
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    09-04-2013 12:10 PM
    Likely Android fanboys finding another way to compensate for their half-assed OS.
    09-04-2013 12:12 PM
    Another pundit, filled to the ears with knowledge, adds their $ 0.02 worth to the story

Where Nokia Went Wrong : The New Yorker#!
    09-04-2013 12:15 PM
    Yeah, I read the original on the Nokia blog and walked away with a different interpretation. While WPC says this:

In other words, saying ‘Nokia Lumia 1020 with Windows Phone 8’ or any variation will eventually become a thing of the past. What it will be, remains to be seen but it’s clear that ‘Nokia’ won’t be used in future Lumia devices. In fact, it’s not even clear that ‘Lumia’ will be used either, though it could be phased out.
    Nokia Conversations says this:

Microsoft will purchase the license to use the Nokia brand on mobile phones for ten years. It will also buy the ‘Lumia’ and ‘Asha’ brands.On smartphones, we’ll be seeking to create a unified brand across Lumia and Windows. But we understand that the Asha and feature phone range will carry on the ‘Nokia’ branding.
    While I agree that "Nokia Lumia 1020 with Windows Phone 8' is both dumb and a mouthful, and I don't see why Microsoft would continue branding smartphones as "Nokia", I don't see anything aside of WPC's conjecture that "Lumia" is going away. That would be very short-sighted of Microsoft.

(Were I in charge of those kinds of things at MS, I'd either keep the tablets Surface and the phones Lumia, or rebrand both tablets and phones as Lumia.)
    09-04-2013 12:40 PM
    Good deal for Nokia. MS pays them for a part of their business that was losing money, and Nokia gets to regroup with ample cash and 3 profitable business unites left. Two things I do not like:

Not being able to buy a Nokia branded handset for at least 2 years and 3 months.
    MS being in full control of WP8 software and hardware. My interest in the platform has been severely diminished by this. I don't trust them to do anything right and in my mind Nokia was the only thing the WP ecosystem had going for it.

I do think Nokia will still produce devices in the future. They wont have the fancy optics at first, but nothing is stopping Nokia from building and selling Android handsets when the non compete clause ends January 1st 2016.

Of course, the company could be further split up, with NSN getting listed seperately. I hope they do not. Keeping the CTO office and NSN, together with HERE gives Nokia all it needs to come back to the consumer electronics space.

A sad day for me personally, but it could have been a lot worse.
    maverick786us likes this.
    09-04-2013 01:34 PM
    well I've got bad news bud, it will be a LOT longer than 2 years 3 months before you see a Nokia branded handset. They just sold off everything related to making phones. That company is in no position to ever make phones again in any sort of mass production. More likely, they will license their name out to some crap phone maker to slap their name on it a la Polaroid.
    09-04-2013 02:03 PM
    @iamtim : seems like many people have their own perspectives on how things may work out. nothing is set in stone. hopefully as a new MS CEO takes over the helms, perhaps we will see the right decisions made to put out services that match up with nokia's powerhouse hardware.
    09-04-2013 02:12 PM
    well I've got bad news bud, it will be a LOT longer than 2 years 3 months before you see a Nokia branded handset.
    Yeah, I don't understand the romantic idea that white-hat Nokia will triumphantly return to the phone manufacturing market and save the world with Android phones.

Nokia is OUT as a phone manufacturer. Completely selling off their phone manufactories only to try again later is... bad business. And dumb.
    09-04-2013 02:18 PM
    well I've got bad news bud, it will be a LOT longer than 2 years 3 months before you see a Nokia branded handset. They just sold off everything related to making phones. That company is in no position to ever make phones again in any sort of mass production. More likely, they will license their name out to some crap phone maker to slap their name on it a la Polaroid.
    A la Apple, as well :), just to show the other side of that particular coin :)

Almost no one makes their own electronics in entirety these days - the iPhone used to have (still does?) a lot of Samsung parts, including the display. Even Nokia phones do - I know that my old Nokia 5800's flash chip was a Samsung unit. IF Nokia, for some reason, chose to come back to smartphones, it would not be as difficult as you make it seem. They can control the design and outsource the production to Foxconn or another manufacturer, just like Apple and many other companies with quality hardware.
    JFH_2012 likes this.
    09-04-2013 02:30 PM
    Am I the only person who wanted a N-Gage back in the day and is now secretly hoping this acquisition will lead to an Xbox phone? N-Gage was ahead of its time and now mobile phone gaming is huge and with the Xbox brand and games behind it. I continue my wishful thinking but glad this means Nokia will remain in the Windows Phone camp for good.
    09-04-2013 02:37 PM
    If true, that would make him the first ever selfish CEO!

Sent from my Nexus 4
    09-04-2013 03:04 PM
    I think you are wrong. If ubuntu failed to reach it funding target for a phone and estimated to need 30 Million to do it why wouldn't Nokia? With Billions in the bank and a real brand name they can use after the date I mentioned they could do this easily.

I am not saying they would do it in their own factories, or use the optics team they had, or most of the engineers that became MS employees. Of course that is gone. No need for you to point out what is so obvious.

The first Lumia's came from Compal. Perhaps the first new Nokia's, whatever OS they run, will as well.

@iamtim
    "only to try again later is... bad business. And dumb."

Why? Nokia just got rid of a huge cost base and a BU that was in trouble. If they can return as a lean manufacturer, relying on 3rd parties to produce, they need to design and engineer the phone. With most parts being off the shelf anyway, and every SoC supporting Android, it would be a piece of cake. Ironically, the vastly reduced barrier to entry is exactly why Nokia got in trouble versus Indian brands like Micromax that used the same cheap components.

Of course, all of this may never happen. But if it does, Nokia as a company would be a reason for me to switch platforms, again.
    09-04-2013 03:09 PM
    Sorry, just slapping your name to a bundle of components doesn't make it Nokia.
    09-04-2013 03:14 PM
488 ... 1314151617 ...