10-07-2013 09:10 AM
488 ... 17181920
tools
    Xbox 360 rrod on my third one
    The 360 is the only hardware that I know of from MS that's had quality issues.

They extended the warranty and replace faulty units beyond the original warranty term.

They also publicly admitted to there being a problem and remedied it.

Not exactly ttheactions of a company that would have bad quality as the norm.
    09-09-2013 07:45 AM
    For those worried about the Nokia "brand" disappearing, Microsoft says they intend to use the brand for the next ten years. Full interview at link.

We ask Nokia sales boss Chris Weber:
    NC: How about the Nokia brand on the phones. Having it printed on there? A lot of readers care about that.

CW: In factual terms, Microsoft intends to buy the right to use the Nokia brand on its phones for ten years.
    Theres a commitment now that this will happen for the Asha and feature phones business going forward.
    On smartphones, its more complicated and well be seeking to create a unified brand across Lumia and other Windows based devices. But were still a long way from when that decision has to be made.
    09-09-2013 08:22 AM
    Nothing except a profitable and stable company that has a legitimate chance to become the #1 provider of location services in the world.

So yeah. Other than being a world leader in a high tech market, they're nothing.

SMH
    we are clearly talking about mobile here
    09-10-2013 09:46 AM
    we are clearly talking about mobile here
    Not really. Nokia as an overall company has been mentioned MANY times in this thread.

It's also pretty silly to say that a company failed or died if they decided to focus on something else.

I understand the emotional loss the consumer feels. It's all nostalgia. But Nokia is going to be just dandy.

They haven't "become nothing" as you stated.

It's funny that with your qualifier you're basically stating, "Nokia has become nothing since selling its devices and services division,... as long as we only are willing to only consider the devices and services division."

That's like saying 4-1=0 (because we're not talking about the other 3)
    iamtim likes this.
    09-10-2013 10:02 AM
    this thread is titled "Nokia acquisition" and the discussion is about MS buying Nokia mobile division, for the amount several times less than it could be sold before elop came for the CEO
    09-11-2013 05:51 AM
    this thread is titled "Nokia acquisition" and the discussion is about MS buying Nokia mobile division, for the amount several times less than it could be sold before elop came for the CEO
    Really?

Who was willing to pay more WITHOUT owning the patents?
    09-11-2013 03:22 PM
    anyone who had money, bear in mind it was the company that held >30% of a very lucrative market...
    09-13-2013 03:39 PM
    anyone who had money, bear in mind it was the company that held >30% of a very lucrative market...
    ...and falling fast.

You're just making up imaginary buyers. LOL

I suppose it works in the land of make believe. Meanwhile, we have to live in the real world.
    09-13-2013 05:28 PM
    falling fast? While yes market share was decreasing(but not that fast) because of some new very promising OS(es) smartphone sales were actually raising...until that idiotic memo.
    09-13-2013 09:56 PM
    falling fast? While yes market share was decreasing(but not that fast) because of some new very promising OS(es) smartphone sales were actually raising...until that idiotic memo.
    It was falling fast.

Your claim that someone was willing to buy Nokia's failing business WITHOUT its patents for a high price is completely unsupported. You literally just made it up.
    09-14-2013 05:03 AM
    for high price no, for a much bigger price than this one certainly yes
    09-14-2013 10:13 AM
    for high price no, for a much bigger price than this one certainly yes
    Evidence please. Or if you don't have any, at least give a compelling argument about a company and why they do so while not getting patents. And what you except ect the price would have been, and why.
    09-14-2013 01:54 PM
    evidence for what? someone's will to buy $50B company for $25B? and what makes you think Nokia wouldn't give (some) patents?
    09-15-2013 12:12 PM
    evidence for what? someone's will to buy $50B company for $25B? and what makes you think Nokia wouldn't give (some) patents?
    First, who valued their falling mobile division at $50 billion? It was expected to go out of business in a few years. Companies figured they could just wait a little bit and buy ALL of Nokia for dirt cheap.

Second, where do you get the idea that Nokia would have been willing to sell away their mobile patents?

You're just making stuff up with no basis in reality.
    09-15-2013 01:08 PM
    Will Nokia's R & D team continue its research on Graphene or will that unit too will be sold to MS?
    09-16-2013 12:12 AM
    The new AD from MS has removed the Nokia logo... is it true?

20130918_928b7fcc276828ec12d6bbexbewladi1.jpg
    09-18-2013 07:34 AM
    First, who valued their falling mobile division at $50 billion? It was expected to go out of business in a few years. Companies figured they could just wait a little bit and buy ALL of Nokia for dirt cheap.

Second, where do you get the idea that Nokia would have been willing to sell away their mobile patents?

You're just making stuff up with no basis in reality.
    what falling are you talking about? Nokia was doing fairly good back then, check the facts again.
    09-24-2013 09:16 PM
    what falling are you talking about? Nokia was doing fairly good back then, check the facts again.
    When the direction you were going is DOWN, then it's failing.

I like how you dodged the questions though.
    09-24-2013 10:49 PM
    Blackberry was doing pretty good back then as well.....
    09-25-2013 08:35 AM
    totally different
    09-25-2013 07:32 PM
    totally different

Third... Totally different? In what ways other than size?
    09-25-2013 10:16 PM
    I don't understand why there is such a big deal being made about Microsoft buying Nokia.

Google bought Motorola and that turned out fine.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
    09-26-2013 01:49 AM
    I don't understand why there is such a big deal being made about Microsoft buying Nokia.

Too much butthurt in the world.
    09-26-2013 09:19 AM

I think it's because s lot of people loved working for, and using Nokia stuff in the hay day, and now it's another ms project.
    09-29-2013 04:52 AM
    I think it's because s lot of people loved working for, and using Nokia stuff in the hay day, and now it's another ms project.
    I'm not sure I agree with that one. It's been a long time since Nokia has been a player so the Nokia name isn't very big anymore.

09-30-2013 12:31 AM
488 ... 17181920