The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-07-2013 09:10 AM
488 1234 ...
tools
    There is a bad part. If you read the full terms of the deal, Microsoft is losing one of the biggest parts of the Nokia design team in the Design Lead Marko Ahtisaari. As part of the deal, he's going to pursue other activities after Nov, 1. This could lead to a huge shift in design language for Nokia as he was the biggest proponent of the Lumia designs. The link to the terms that states this is here.

Nokia to sell Devices & Services business to Microsoft in EUR 5.44 billion all-cash transaction - Yahoo! Finance
    I doubt it , I loved Marko but since Microsoft bought nokias patents and Stephen elop knows Nokia like the back of his hand I don't think it would change much
    09-02-2013 10:46 PM
    Hold on, though. If Microsoft can't use Nokia's name, then does that mean the Lumia brand is just going to die? I don't like that.

Honestly, not sure how I feel about this deal. The blog post from Microsoft is saying this will speed up innovation but I'm not so sure about that. We'll see.
    My bad.

I read that MS has licensed the right to use Nokia's name on their products. Woot!
    MDak280, Residing, DBDev and 1 others like this.
    09-02-2013 10:51 PM
    Good for the old nokia owners, i will cherise my unit and compare how MS quality fare with the old school quality.

Sent from my RM-825_apac_philippines_380 using Tapatalk
    arvinxi likes this.
    09-02-2013 10:51 PM
    The Verge

Hot damn. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it sounds super fishy that Elop adopted this OS and then sold himself back to MS.
    The Verge needs to figure out their stories before they report garbage. Ballmer explicitly states who's going where and defines each role.

Steve Ballmer email to Microsoft employees on Nokia Devices & Services acquisition
    09-02-2013 10:52 PM
    I doubt it , I loved Marko but since Microsoft bought nokias patents and Stephen elop knows Nokia like the back of his hand I don't think it would change much
    The thing is that Elop no longer has the final say on what goes into Nokia phones. With Marko leaving Microsoft's design team will come in with their ideas and the final say become's ballmer's. With this change, Elop is losing a lot of say in what goes into a Nokia device.
    KitN and raul_junior like this.
    09-02-2013 10:54 PM
    Great news... death is inevitable..
    09-02-2013 11:03 PM
    The thing is that Elop no longer has the final say on what goes into Nokia phones. With Marko leaving Microsoft's design team will come in with their ideas and the final say become's ballmer's. With this change, Elop is losing a lot of say in what goes into a Nokia device.
    I hadn't thought about that because for me for example the Microsoft surface is the most amazingly designed tablet I've seen and if Microsoft does the same with phones I'll be happy
    MDak280 and Verner like this.
    09-02-2013 11:07 PM
    MS doesn't own Nokia's patents.

Does that mean that we could see PureView on Android in the future?
    09-02-2013 11:10 PM
    WAit..so future "Nokia" phones will still be branded as "Nokia" phones???
    09-02-2013 11:10 PM
    MS bought the rights to use the Nokia branding for the next 10 yrs. So yeah... probably for a while.
    a5cent likes this.
    09-02-2013 11:12 PM

Patents are part of the deal.

Sent from my RM-821_apac_philippines_388 using Tapatalk
    09-02-2013 11:13 PM
    With Marko leaving Microsoft's design team will come in with their ideas and the final say become's ballmer's.
    The CEOs of these companies have nowhere near that level of involvement in product development and design. CEOs influence those aspects only indirectly, through the people they place in leadership roles on the engineering and design teams, which are at least two steps below CEO levels.
    09-02-2013 11:16 PM
    Patents are part of the deal.

An unexclusive license to use patents is part of the deal.
    arvinxi and Impulsive_Mulia like this.
    09-02-2013 11:24 PM
    a CEO's role is more about the laying out the vision for the company and making sure people are going in the right direction.
    09-02-2013 11:25 PM
    For nokia fans, it something to worry? Is this the end of Nokia's mobile division?
    09-02-2013 11:27 PM
    Some software on WP has been splitting in two. Nokia maps vs. MS maps. Nokia camera app vs. MS default camera app. MS local scout vs Nokia POI database integrated into Nokia maps. Etc.

Where I see the biggest potential benefit to this deal is in bringing all this together into a single and more cohesive ecosystem. Sounds exciting to me.

Will have to start thinking about getting a job at MS. :-D
    Last edited by a5cent; 09-03-2013 at 01:24 AM. Reason: spelling
    09-02-2013 11:28 PM
    One of the reason why Nokia keeps on creating new apps, pushing updates to existing apps & produce great firmware updates is because they cant afford not to. Now with this deal, it is the opposite.
    Nokia tries to support all their phones. MS are known to ditch things. Let's just hope for the best.
    KitN likes this.
    09-02-2013 11:33 PM
    One of the reason why Nokia keeps on creating new apps, pushing updates to existing apps & produce great firmware updates is because they cant afford not to. Now with this deal, it is the opposite.
    Nokia tries to support all their phones. MS are known to ditch things. Let's just hope for the best.
    MS isn't known to ditch things. What are you referring to?

Stuff from MS research that never became a product in the first place?

Nokia's Devices and Services division is largely intact. The main difference is that now they'll have a lot more money to work with.
    09-02-2013 11:37 PM
    Will this be the end of Nokia exclusives?
    09-02-2013 11:39 PM
    Will this be the end of Nokia exclusives?
    The bigger question is if it is not the start of complete exclusivity, as in Samsung and HTC jumping ship.
    09-02-2013 11:42 PM
    This thread began with mad euphoria. People talking about how this would best benefit the growth of the phone and I agree with them. But and as I read on, it seems to have attracted the attention of those who are otherwise least interested in the platform. 'Its all going to fall apart and we will all be running android on our Nokia handsets.' SMH.
    09-02-2013 11:43 PM
    I'm excited just because MAYBE this will be the push WP needs and people like myself won't miss out of Nokia devices cause of foolish carrier exclusives :)

I hope MS drops HTC and Samsung like a bad habbit :) and I own a HTC 8X and Samsung ATIV S lol
    peter14f likes this.
    09-02-2013 11:43 PM

Under the terms of the agreement, Microsoft will pay EUR 3.79 billion to purchase substantially all of Nokia’s Devices & Services business, and EUR 1.65 billion to license Nokia’s patents, for a total transaction price of EUR 5.44 billion in cash.
    Nokia will retain its patent portfolio and will grant Microsoft a 10-year license to its patents at the time of the closing. Microsoft will grant Nokia reciprocal rights to use Microsoft patents in its HERE services. In addition, Nokia will grant Microsoft an option to extend this mutual patent agreement in perpetuity.
    Microsoft to acquire Nokia
    09-02-2013 11:45 PM
    what a joke.. nokia will be a different firm ..and why would ms use nokia name after buying it... they would have got into a strategic tie up only if they wanted to use the name.. buying is different.... if phones use Nokia name... Will shareholders of both companies accept it.... Google can use motorola name cause they purchased it fully.. MS has only purchased a part of nokia... so they cant use that name..
    09-02-2013 11:45 PM
    what a joke.. nokia will be a different firm ..and why would ms use nokia name after buying it... they would have got into a strategic tie up only if they wanted to use the name.. buying is different.... if phones use Nokia name... Will shareholders of both companies accept it.... Google can use motorola name cause they purchased it fully.. MS has only purchased a part of nokia... so they cant use that name..

Microsoft will acquire the Asha brand and will license the Nokia brand for use with current Nokia mobile phone products.
    Microsoft to acquire Nokia
    theefman and a5cent like this.
    09-02-2013 11:58 PM
488 1234 ...