10-07-2013 09:10 AM
488 12345 ...
tools
    "Elop was considered a outside candidate for Microsoft's CEO position. Now Elop is considered an internal candidate. " CNBC

We all knew this was going to happen. It isn't surprising at all.

Now I turn my attention to all of the hardware divisions of Microsoft.
    Laura Knotek and JM_T like this.
    09-03-2013 12:02 AM
    So overall Nokia will fully focus on NSN, HERE and technology innovation? Does micorosft have the hardware innovation? The kind of technology innovation that Nokia has provided in
    1) Camera Department (Example PureView cameras)
    2) Touchscreen (Amazing screen of Lumia 920 and 1020)
    3) Hardware Design (polycarbonate body used with Lumia devices) and
    4) Navigation
    Microsoft is not even close. MS is completely into software. Without Nokia's technology innovation, their mobile business handled to MS cannot survive. Although MS might handle the marketing, distribution and production process
    09-03-2013 12:12 AM
    It'll be very interesting to see how this plays out with the other OEMs.

In theory WP has always been a vanilla OS, that Microsoft distribute, then the OEM adds their own apps on top of it. Nokia has always been the best, because of their apps, and their exclusives.

Now they are under the Microsoft umbrella, in theory all Nokia apps/exclusives should become available to the other OEMs, which could lead to Nokia becoming the worst OEM to buy, because there is little or nothing exclusive.

Hopefully this is going to benefit WP long term, and maybe under the MS umbrella they can take some more risks, like maybe a phone with a physical keyboard, which would aid the WP push into business.
    09-03-2013 12:18 AM
    Only $5 billion for the hardware business, so cheap. That's only 5 surface write downs.
    09-03-2013 12:21 AM
    It'll be very interesting to see how this plays out with the other OEMs.

In theory WP has always been a vanilla OS, that Microsoft distribute, then the OEM adds their own apps on top of it. Nokia has always been the best, because of their apps, and their exclusives.

Now they are under the Microsoft umbrella, in theory all Nokia apps/exclusives should become available to the other OEMs, which could lead to Nokia becoming the worst OEM to buy, because there is little or nothing exclusive.

Hopefully this is going to benefit WP long term, and maybe under the MS umbrella they can take some more risks, like maybe a phone with a physical keyboard, which would aid the WP push into business.
    I'd consider Nokia devices to be the best not just because of exclusive apps, but also because of hardware. What other Windows phone manufacturer's camera hardware compares to the Nokia camera hardware?
    09-03-2013 12:21 AM
    Only $5 billion for the hardware business, so cheap. That's only 5 surface write downs.
    $7 billion (5 billion). That is 8 write downs ;-)

$7 billion for a division that lost money over the last few quarters is a good sales price.
    Impulsive_Mulia likes this.
    09-03-2013 12:30 AM
    I know this is kind of belated...
    But I literally jumped out of my bed and shouted "Yesss!!!" when I saw this GREAT news from my Nokia Lumia 925 Windows Phone this morning. Hell, its so much more meaningful to say my smartphone name/brand in FULL right now. This is the BEST news I've heard since I adopted WP platform +3 years ago. Thank You, Microsoft & Nokia, Thank You So Very Much
    Laura Knotek and raul_junior like this.
    09-03-2013 12:31 AM
    So overall Nokia will fully focus on NSN, HERE and technology innovation? Does micorosft have the hardware innovation? The kind of technology innovation that Nokia has provided in
    1) Camera Department (Example PureView cameras)
    2) Touchscreen (Amazing screen of Lumia 920 and 1020)
    3) Hardware Design (polycarbonate body used with Lumia devices) and
    4) Navigation
    Microsoft is not even close. MS is completely into software. Without Nokia's technology innovation, their mobile business handled to MS cannot survive. Although MS might handle the marketing, distribution and production process
    I m not understanding this. :P
    does the Hardware and service division not contain the Phone Development? the Design team is to be transferred to MS, so how the Design will loose innovation.

I think the MS will retain the exclusivity of Nokia phones and will give the team enough cash support to produce Great devices :D
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-03-2013 12:34 AM
    The part I do not get is the fact the a large part of Nokia phone business are "dumb phones" mainly to emerging markets. Does MS want this side of the business? I know Nokia and MS are pushing smart phones to these markets but I still see "dumb phones" as commercially viable for some time to come. May we see resales of these less sexy parts of the business to someone else like a Huawei or Samsung?
    09-03-2013 12:35 AM
    The part I do not get is the fact the a large part of Nokia phone business are "dumb phones" mainly to emerging markets. Does MS want this side of the business? I know Nokia and MS are pushing smart phones to these markets but I still see "dumb phones" as commercially viable for some time to come. May we see resales of these less sexy parts of the business to someone else like a Huawei or Samsung?
    Google killed Motorola's dumbphones.
    09-03-2013 12:37 AM
    Great news..........

Slowly but surely, Microkia will come into full effect.
    09-03-2013 12:39 AM
    Im not a fandroid and I am still not happy about the news. I have a feeling this will rather slow down the momentum that Nokia had for WP. Look at Surface. Look at Lumia. Now Lumia is Surface. :(

Sent from my RM-821_eu_france_267 using Tapatalk
    Made in flanders and KitN like this.
    09-03-2013 12:42 AM
    Im not a fandroid and I am still not happy about the news. I have a feeling this will rather slow down the momentum that Nokia had for WP. Look at Surface. Look at Lumia. Now Lumia is Surface. :(

Sent from my RM-821_eu_france_267 using Tapatalk
    09-03-2013 12:42 AM
    MS might have intrest on turning the developing market Asha users to low end WP users, and later to higher end WP users.

Nokia giving the right to use the Nokia branding for limited 10 years. However already the Lumia brand is so big, that MS shouldnt have any problem on selling "Lumia" -phones, instead of "Nokia Lumia" -phones. 10 years is more than enough for that transition.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-03-2013 12:43 AM
    The biggest danger point right now is 4000 Nokia engineers quitting because they are disgusted at the very idea of working for Microsoft.
    KitN likes this.
    09-03-2013 12:44 AM
    I dont think it will slow down Nokia Phones. Even if Nokia was a single player, it wont be able to update the WP OS system. it could only create better hardwares and technologies like PureView for which the MONEY is required. Now the team has the Cash Backing and so the Hardware department may get Boosting. The software department will surely change its mood, Hope it will not Slow down...
    09-03-2013 12:47 AM
    This is not good news! Microsoft lose many designers at the same time... Lumia not be the same anymore :(
    KitN likes this.
    09-03-2013 12:47 AM
    Google killed Motorola's dumbphones.
    Nokia has a amazing foothold of the emerging markets of the world that Motorola never had.
    09-03-2013 12:48 AM
    The biggest danger point right now is 4000 Nokia engineers quitting because they are disgusted at the very idea of working for Microsoft.
    Can you elaborate why they will be disgusted?
    09-03-2013 12:48 AM
    The Quitting of employees is not important unless they are the KEY EMPLOYEES. the Organization will acquire new employees in place of the ones who left. :P
    Ray Adams likes this.
    09-03-2013 12:49 AM
    This is incredible!

This is gonna be a lot to take in! I just hope the name Lumia stays.
    09-03-2013 12:51 AM
    This thread began with mad euphoria. People talking about how this would best benefit the growth of the phone and I agree with them. But and as I read on, it seems to have attracted the attention of those who are otherwise least interested in the platform. 'Its all going to fall apart and we will all be running android on our Nokia handsets.' SMH.
    09-03-2013 12:52 AM
    This is great news IMO. Hopefully they will produce some great phones!
    09-03-2013 01:02 AM
    The Quitting of employees is not important unless they are the KEY EMPLOYEES. the Organization will acquire new employees in place of the ones who left. :P
    Dream on, I have a hard time believing that Finnish engineers relish the idea of working for Microsoft. They have their pride.
    09-03-2013 01:02 AM
    Now Im waiting for Nokia to buy Jolla. Jolla means dinghy in Finnish, which would give "burning platform" letter by Elop even more meaning.

There is 0 doubt that Nokia's smartphone business was in a freefall when Elop came in to the house. The bad decisions were made by Kallasmaa and Ollila before Elop's time. However Elop pretty efficiently killed it in record time. Could the transition been smoother with better CEO? I dont know, but its surely possible.
    09-03-2013 01:06 AM
488 12345 ...