10-07-2013 09:10 AM
488 ... 45678 ...
tools
    This transaction has nothing amazing. Microsoft and Nokia are working together for some years now and the Finnish firm has contributed greatly to the success of Windows Phone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    galaxy note 3 etui galaxy note 3
    09-03-2013 06:13 AM
    I was expecting this will happen, so no big surprise for me. Big challenge ahead of MS now.
    09-03-2013 06:19 AM
    really? You think that the surface rt just needed better marketing and it would have sold all 6 million units?
    yes.
    09-03-2013 06:31 AM
    "Let#s #elop that company! Elop = hostile takeover of a company for a minimum price through CEO infiltration. #Nokia#Microsoft"
    Ex-Nokian on Twitter
    Impulsive_Mulia likes this.
    09-03-2013 06:33 AM

Wow, definitely big news in the middle of the night. A brilliant move by Microsoft because they needed to secure Nokia. Good news for Nokia because MS has some deep pockets. Now MS is "officially" armed with a true smartphone division.

AND ELOP FOR CEO 2014!!!

snowmutt, HeyCori, Bee Mon and 2 others like this.
    09-03-2013 06:35 AM
    Was the Nokia 515 More Than it Seemed? A Tribute to the Nokia of Old? : My Nokia Blog

*Sniff* Since the acquisition is still pending to shareholder and regulatory approval...

ANTITRUST LAWS! FINNISH SHAREHOLDERS! IT IS NOW YOUR TIME TO ACT!
    09-03-2013 06:38 AM
    Seriously though where do the share holders and the board of directors come into this? They can't seriously be ok with this.
    09-03-2013 06:40 AM
    lol..... feeling bad for all nokia fanboys... they thought we wr thr to help... but we wr to kill them and take all off it..

down go nokia... hai microsoft
    09-03-2013 06:41 AM
    I feel very wierd about this. All this time, I was betting Nokia would never be adopted by MS. So, wrong again, I am not sure the lose of Nokia's identitiy is a good thing for WP. I loved that Nokia was a driving force as it's own life support depended on it. Now, it is part of the slow moving Monolith that is MS.

Sigh..... mixed feelings, but worried.
    09-03-2013 06:41 AM
    Not a positive move for me. Microsoft has shown with the Surface tablets that they have no idea how to run a hardware division and the WP team have taken the word "slow" to a whole new level. All the innovation, urgency, commitment that Nokia brought to WP will now be replaced with the typical Microsoft bureaucracy, complacency and ineffectiveness that has been the trademark of the Surface devices. Doubly sad that the Nokia that stood for class leading mobile devices will now be no more. Sad day indeed.
    Loco5150 likes this.
    09-03-2013 06:44 AM
    09-03-2013 07:06 AM
    Seriously though where do the share holders and the board of directors come into this? They can't seriously be ok with this.
    At the moment I write this, Nokia is up 43% in pre-market trading. The biggest single day surge in Nokia's history. If that holds when the markets open, then I'm pretty sure investors are very ok with this.
    psudotechzealot likes this.
    09-03-2013 07:11 AM
    Nokia-branded smartphones to be phased out following Microsoft buyout - Tech News - Digital Spy

So its true, Microsoft will no longer be using the Nokia brand on smartphones only on feature phones? That's awful. Many customers brought into Windows Phone because of peace of mind of Nokia, otherwise if it didn't matter we'd all be using HTV or Samsung, Dell, LG etc...

Dumb idea by Microsoft.
    snowmutt and jlzimmerman like this.
    09-03-2013 07:16 AM
    Nokia-branded smartphones to be phased out following Microsoft buyout - Tech News - Digital Spy

So its true, Microsoft will no longer be using the Nokia brand on smartphones only on feature phones? That's awful. Many customers brought into Windows Phone because of peace of mind of Nokia, otherwise if it didn't matter we'd all be using HTV or Samsung, Dell, LG etc...

Dumb idea by Microsoft.

EXACTLY !!! how can lumia sell without nokia brand???

Sent from my RM-821_apac_indonesia_311 using Tapatalk
    09-03-2013 07:24 AM
    Thanks for the note.

We will continue to build great devices, although yes, the naming will likely change.

Regards,

Stephen

reply to my email
    09-03-2013 07:25 AM
    So... The speculation continues. No one knows what will happen. Nokia has been bought MS, not absorbed. I'm sure the Nokia and Lumia branding will be seen for a while to come. MS can provide Nokia with some much needed funding. I'm sure things will continue as usual.
    And before anyone says... I'm NOT an MS fanboy. I just think this can only benefit both companies.
    09-03-2013 07:26 AM
    Apparently I'm the only one that bought his Lumia for the OS, while Nokia being the OEM was just a bonus. As long as the phone is good, I really don't care what its branded.
    a5cent, Vallos and psudotechzealot like this.
    09-03-2013 07:28 AM
    Very disappointed that Microsoft didn't get he HERE division too. That was VERY short sighted with bright future in telematics and big data. I hope they at least got a first right of refusal in their strategic license with them because Google could come in and scoop up both HERE and NSN in order to dominate both LBS and their nascent broadband efforts.
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.
    09-03-2013 07:29 AM

Dumb idea by Microsoft.
    And in a related thought, Nokia's Asha brand is HUGE. An amazing success story. Very profitable. It being absorbed into a company only concerned about smartphones is a near death kneel for this money maker. While we at WPC only care about WP, the Asha brand helped keep Nokia profitable during it's transistion. Just wondering how MS sees feature phones. They really can't put money into that if their priority is WP. These little phones make the Nokia handset division more valuble.

Throw in I just feel that it is near impossible to do hardware and software in this day and age. I hav been saying for two years that Apple is losing it's steam, unable to keep up with innovation or market demand due to going it alone. It is what killed BlackBerry- how does one company do hardware, software, cloud services, music services, app dvelopment, and distribution? It is why Nokia was in trouble- trying to keep Symbian up, develop MeeGo and Meamo, and all the hardware, and keep up with Android software advances and Android partner hardware advances.

Now, MS is all in on the model that is the hardest to get right. I just really do not understand. I know this is a three year process before we know if it works, but we KNOW it was working with Nokia as its own entity and valued partner.
    a5cent, HeyCori, kokola95 and 2 others like this.
    09-03-2013 07:33 AM
    I'm buying a 5.2 inch Surface phone!
    HeyCori likes this.
    09-03-2013 07:34 AM
    I'm guessing that Nokia Lumia will become just Lumia *by Microsoft
    deadwrong03 likes this.
    09-03-2013 07:48 AM
    The thing is that Elop no longer has the final say on what goes into Nokia phones. With Marko leaving Microsoft's design team will come in with their ideas and the final say become's ballmer's. With this change, Elop is losing a lot of say in what goes into a Nokia device.
    I think he will still have major influence into Nokia's quality, based on who's reporting to him and who he's reporting to.

As part of the agreement, Nokia CEO and President Stephen Elop is stepping aside; as of today he's Nokia's Executive Vice President of Devices & Services reporting to interim CEO Risto Siilasmaa, previously chairman of Nokia's Board of Directors. When the transaction closes, Stephen Elop will go back to Microsoft and lead an expanded Devices team, reporting directly to Steve Ballmer. Julie Larson-Green will report to Elop and continue to run the Devices and Studios team.
    09-03-2013 07:51 AM
    Now I can sleep peacefully at night knowing full well that Nokia will never ever make an Android phone
    mpt15, Dk92, Ultimateone and 2 others like this.
    09-03-2013 07:57 AM
    I feel very wierd about this. All this time, I was betting Nokia would never be adopted by MS. So, wrong again, I am not sure the lose of Nokia's identitiy is a good thing for WP. I loved that Nokia was a driving force as it's own life support depended on it. Now, it is part of the slow moving Monolith that is MS.

Sigh..... mixed feelings, but worried.
    Be worried, very worried.

Not a positive move for me. Microsoft has shown with the Surface tablets that they have no idea how to run a hardware division and the WP team have taken the word "slow" to a whole new level. All the innovation, urgency, commitment that Nokia brought to WP will now be replaced with the typical Microsoft bureaucracy, complacency and ineffectiveness that has been the trademark of the Surface devices. Doubly sad that the Nokia that stood for class leading mobile devices will now be no more. Sad day indeed.
    We may be in for witnessing another Windows Mobile 5 - 6.5 aka Windows Phone 8 - 9.5

I'm guessing that Nokia Lumia will become just Lumia *by Microsoft
    I guess Microsoft Lumia makes more sense, just like Microsoft Surface RT.

Now I can sleep peacefully at night knowing full well that Nokia will never ever make an Android phone
    This is THE ONLY positive I can find from all the news today. Android will never run on any Nokia ever. That keeps Nokia pure and elegant till its end.
    09-03-2013 08:02 AM
    Now I can sleep peacefully at night knowing full well that Nokia will never ever make an Android phone ��
    They can make android or another WP in 5 years(They're restricted to feature phones only for 5 years)
    But they don't have Lumia brand anymore and most of their "horse power" works for microsoft now.
    09-03-2013 08:04 AM
488 ... 45678 ...