10-07-2013 09:10 AM
488 ... 56789 ...
tools
    I'm guessing Siemens sold out of their half of NSN the moment they caught wind Microsoft was shopping Nokia. Who could most benefit owning their own broadband equipment company? The outfit trying to give away free broadband (Google).

Who could best be suited for buying Nokia's HERE brand and completely dominate mapping and location technologies? Google. Imagine CityLens on Google Glass...game set match. HERE runs the maps of most autos....Google would be in almost every car nav system....self driving cars if Google has a say.

Microsoft was really dumb for not getting the rest of Nokia.....like super dumb.
    09-03-2013 08:11 AM
    They can make android or another WP in 5 years(They're restricted to feature phones only for 5 years)
    But they don't have Lumia brand anymore and most of their "horse power" works for microsoft now.
    They are taking all of the intelligence for mobile devices with them. Very few at HERE or NSN know the mobile devices business. However, anyone can slap together android dreck, just look at the crappy Indian android phone companies.
    robinleck and a5cent like this.
    09-03-2013 08:12 AM
    09-03-2013 08:31 AM
    They are taking all of the intelligence for mobile devices with them. Very few at HERE or NSN know the mobile devices business. However, anyone can slap together android dreck, just look at the crappy Indian android phone companies.
    That's what i said... Re-read my comment.
    By horse power i mean their most important employes, i hope you understood now...
    My favorite gifs LMAO
    As far as i know this site ins't Meme Central, i am right?
    09-03-2013 08:38 AM
    I think almost everyone saw this coming. However, Nokia was (arguably) the true force pushing the Windows Phone platform while MS seemed to hold it back. I can't help but think this was done purposely on MS' part in order to keep valuations down in order to buy Nokia out. Saying that, I can't help but think that it hurts WP but that is just my opinion.
    09-03-2013 08:39 AM
    Okay, checked Bing Finance right now, and this is what I see.

NOK- Up 38%
    MSFT- Down 1.4%

Any explanation for the movement in the Microsoft stock?
    09-03-2013 08:45 AM

NOK- Up 38%
    MSFT- Down 1.4%

Based on my layman logic about stock volatility...
    In an M&A, the buyer's share price tend to slide downward while the seller's share tend to glide upwards. Nothing abnormal really
    09-03-2013 08:53 AM
    I'm happy AND sad.

I will miss seeing Nokia branding on my phones. Since Nokia is still going to keep existing as a company, I doubt that MS will be able to use Nokia's name on phones.

I've loved Nokia phones for almost 20 years.

I didn't see anywhere that the Nokia branding would be gone just that Microsoft owns them now

Sent from my Nokia 928 using Tapatalk
    09-03-2013 08:55 AM
    I didn't see anywhere that the Nokia branding would be gone just that Microsoft owns them now
    Sent from my Nokia 928 using Tapatalk
    Theres a link a few posts up from Digital Spy
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-03-2013 08:56 AM
    Well. Since Rockstarzzz is putting the beat-down to anyone posting abou this subject other than here I'll provide my good advise here.

If you own any Nokia shares do not sell them. There will eventually be a large payout to existing shareholders when the deal is done.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
    09-03-2013 08:57 AM
    You think that the Surface RT just needed better marketing and it would have sold all 6 million units?
    Between marketing and pricing, yes.
    vormison and snowmutt like this.
    09-03-2013 08:59 AM
    Now I can sleep peacefully at night knowing full well that Nokia will never ever make an Android phone ��
    This is THE ONLY positive I can find from all the news today. Android will never run on any Nokia ever. That keeps Nokia pure and elegant till its end.
    lol how is going to WP8 any better, Symbian was a LOT closer to Android than it will ever be to WP...
    09-03-2013 09:06 AM
    Well. Since Rockstarzzz is putting the beat-down to anyone posting abou this subject other than here I'll provide my good advise here.

If you own any Nokia shares do not sell them. There will eventually be a large payout to existing shareholders when the deal is done.

no there won't There will be an exchange of shares between the two companies and you'll end up with a third (or less) of a MSFT share for every NOK share you own. The best thing to do TODAY, is capture the 33+% that the devices division represents of the NOK stock. Then buy back in once the deal is complete because HERE and NSN will immediately become takeover targets.
    09-03-2013 09:11 AM

NOK- Up 38%
    MSFT- Down 1.4%

It makes little sense really, Microsoft bought Nokia from its overseas cash horde and it put zero dent in the value of the company. That is just a kneejerk reaction from stupid investors.
    09-03-2013 09:13 AM
    Well i know something no more apps or games will be coming to wp and that division gonna be the next Motorola (r.i.p) oh and there wont be any meego type features so updates like amber no more

Welcome to hell people :)
    7SAN likes this.
    09-03-2013 09:16 AM
    I just hope they keep the Nokia brand for Lumia Series.....😊

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    09-03-2013 09:22 AM
    Well i know something no more apps or games will be coming to wp and that division gonna be the next Motorola (r.i.p) oh and there wont be any meego type features so updates like amber no more

Welcome to hell people :)

whatever...Microsoft just bought the mobile OS innovation it never had internally. When an ODM is innovating your own OS better than you, you known you've got a problem.
    09-03-2013 09:24 AM
    People need to stop with the Trojan Horse thing.

Elop didn't make decisions in a vacuum. There is a whole board of directors.

Nokia was ALREADY bleeding badly before Elop got there. They waited too long to act.

They made a valiant effort to turn the company around, but time was not on their side. Investors are finicky people that want results sooner rather than later.

The sale was likely done due to investor pressure to get the stock price up. Nokia had to redefine itself and get rid of the most expensive unit.

Nokia may have gone with MS with the idea that the devices and services division could be appealing to MS in case they couldn't return it to profitability. There's a reason Nokia is diversified and has become major player in location services.

If Nokia went with Android and continued to bleed money in devices and services, what would have happened? It would have dragged down the rest of Nokia and a company like Samsung would have scooped up the whole thing and probably get rid of everything in Finland.

Instead, now Nokia gets to
    1) get rid of a division it can't afford
    2) KEEP THEIR PATENTS,
    3) Have more capital to invest in their growing divisions
    4) secure a LARGE customer account for HERE services
    HeyCori, Dk92, a5cent and 2 others like this.
    09-03-2013 09:32 AM
    I am for one, very apprehensive. Nokia is a great brand name, and now there will be no "nokia" branded phones. Are we going to expect the same updates and work that was pushed from Nokia that we are going to see in-house with Microsoft? I highly doubt it. Why? Microsoft is too big, too many chains to go up. I think we'll see updates as fast as Microsoft makes them which is typically slow. The only way this was more beneficial was to have Nokia continue working the way it is.
    09-03-2013 09:37 AM
    Just because Microsoft bought a large part of Nokia doesn't mean that everything will be different, the same people are still working on wp8/nokia devices.
    This just means Nokia members now are part of MSFT and have a bigger budget when it comes to marketing (no seperate wp8 and Nokia wp8 commercials)
    Also now MSFT can finally merge hardware and software on an Apple/iOS kind of way
    09-03-2013 09:40 AM
    Bet my life things won't be the same Microsoft is no longer that Microsoft i knew (in software)
    09-03-2013 09:41 AM
    Bet my life things won't be the same Microsoft is no longer that Microsoft i knew (in software)
    Why's that?
    09-03-2013 09:45 AM
    Staying "the same" is the surest way to fail on this fast paced world of tech.
    a5cent, rockstarzzz and snowmutt like this.
    09-03-2013 09:46 AM
    I am for one, very apprehensive. Nokia is a great brand name, and now there will be no "nokia" branded phones. Are we going to expect the same updates and work that was pushed from Nokia that we are going to see in-house with Microsoft? I highly doubt it. Why? Microsoft is too big, too many chains to go up. I think we'll see updates as fast as Microsoft makes them which is typically slow. The only way this was more beneficial was to have Nokia continue working the way it is.
    I'll miss seeing the Nokia brand on phones.

As for updates,MS hasn't been slow at all.

I think the biggest changs we'll see is that the WP OS will have more synergy with the hardware and more consistency across platforms.
    09-03-2013 09:50 AM
    2) KEEP THEIR PATENTS,
    I did not read it like that. Microsoft is getting the trove of mobile device patents...even the ***************************s here said that Microsoft will be a mobile patent juggernaut now.
    09-03-2013 09:54 AM
488 ... 56789 ...