The Nokia Acquisition (post comments and questions here)

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Not new CEO, he essentially becomes the head of the mobile services and devices division.

Actually it makes it more likely he may be Microsoft's new CEO when Ballmer steps down. He has been noted as one of the candidates being considered/vetted and it is unlikely Microsoft would have ever hired a new CEO from the outside. This will make him a Microsoft VP.

anon(7808135)

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
This is awesome. I use a Blackberry but i also Love Nokia. So Much better than IOS or Android. I still wish Blackberry and Microsoft would team up to overtake IOS and Android. That would be amazing.

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There is a bad part. If you read the full terms of the deal, Microsoft is losing one of the biggest parts of the Nokia design team in the Design Lead Marko Ahtisaari[FONT=Georgia, Times, Times New Roman, serif]. As part of the deal, he's going to pursue other activities after Nov, 1. This could lead to a huge shift in design language for Nokia as he was the biggest proponent of the Lumia designs. The link to the terms that states this is here.

[/FONT]​Nokia to sell Devices & Services business to Microsoft in EUR 5.44 billion all-cash transaction - Yahoo! Finance

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy AND sad.

I will miss seeing Nokia branding on my phones. Since Nokia is still going to keep existing as a company, I doubt that MS will be able to use Nokia's name on phones.

I've loved Nokia phones for almost 20 years.

Hold on, though. If Microsoft can't use Nokia's name, then does that mean the Lumia brand is just going to die? I don't like that.

Honestly, not sure how I feel about this deal. The blog post from Microsoft is saying this will speed up innovation but I'm not so sure about that. We'll see.

arvinxi

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I feel like this could really **** off some OEM's that were on the edge already when it comes to manufacturing devices for the windows mobile ecosystem. I am not sure that I really want to see Microsoft head in apples direction with a single choice for hardware. Having said that it could lead to some really tight hardware integration but then it could also follow the Google/Motorola purchase and produce little to no change at all.

I'm just not sure how to feel about this one, maybe it will become clear when details start flowing.

This could lead to faster update distribution. Look what happened with gdr2, too many hardware OEM to support resulting in late updates.

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
There is a bad part. If you read the full terms of the deal, Microsoft is losing one of the biggest parts of the Nokia design team in the Design Lead Marko Ahtisaari[FONT=Georgia, Times, Times New Roman, serif]. As part of the deal, he's going to pursue other activities after Nov, 1. This could lead to a huge shift in design language for Nokia as he was the biggest proponent of the Lumia designs. The link to the terms that states this is here.

[/FONT]​Nokia to sell Devices & Services business to Microsoft in EUR 5.44 billion all-cash transaction - Yahoo! Finance

I doubt it , I loved Marko but since Microsoft bought nokias patents and Stephen elop knows Nokia like the back of his hand I don't think it would change much

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Hold on, though. If Microsoft can't use Nokia's name, then does that mean the Lumia brand is just going to die? I don't like that.

Honestly, not sure how I feel about this deal. The blog post from Microsoft is saying this will speed up innovation but I'm not so sure about that. We'll see.

My bad.

I read that MS has licensed the right to use Nokia's name on their products. Woot!

aquimosa

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Good for the old nokia owners, i will cherise my unit and compare how MS quality fare with the old school quality.

Sent from my RM-825_apac_philippines_380 using Tapatalk

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it , I loved Marko but since Microsoft bought nokias patents and Stephen elop knows Nokia like the back of his hand I don't think it would change much

The thing is that Elop no longer has the final say on what goes into Nokia phones. With Marko leaving Microsoft's design team will come in with their ideas and the final say become's ballmer's. With this change, Elop is losing a lot of say in what goes into a Nokia device.

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
The thing is that Elop no longer has the final say on what goes into Nokia phones. With Marko leaving Microsoft's design team will come in with their ideas and the final say become's ballmer's. With this change, Elop is losing a lot of say in what goes into a Nokia device.

I hadn't thought about that because for me for example the Microsoft surface is the most amazingly designed tablet I've seen and if Microsoft does the same with phones I'll be happy

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
With Marko leaving Microsoft's design team will come in with their ideas and the final say become's ballmer's.

The CEOs of these companies have nowhere near that level of involvement in product development and design. CEOs influence those aspects only indirectly, through the people they place in leadership roles on the engineering and design teams, which are at least two steps below CEO levels.

bryantest

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
a CEO's role is more about the laying out the vision for the company and making sure people are going in the right direction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs