The Nokia Acquisition (post comments and questions here)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Some software on WP has been splitting in two. Nokia maps vs. MS maps. Nokia camera app vs. MS default camera app. MS local scout vs Nokia POI database integrated into Nokia maps. Etc.

Where I see the biggest potential benefit to this deal is in bringing all this together into a single and more cohesive ecosystem. Sounds exciting to me.

Will have to start thinking about getting a job at MS. :-D

Last edited:

pengfoong

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
One of the reason why Nokia keeps on creating new apps, pushing updates to existing apps & produce great firmware updates is because they cant afford not to. Now with this deal, it is the opposite.
Nokia tries to support all their phones. MS are known to ditch things. Let's just hope for the best.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
One of the reason why Nokia keeps on creating new apps, pushing updates to existing apps & produce great firmware updates is because they cant afford not to. Now with this deal, it is the opposite.
Nokia tries to support all their phones. MS are known to ditch things. Let's just hope for the best.

MS isn't known to ditch things. What are you referring to?

Stuff from MS research that never became a product in the first place?

Nokia's Devices and Services division is largely intact. The main difference is that now they'll have a lot more money to work with.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This thread began with mad euphoria. People talking about how this would best benefit the growth of the phone and I agree with them. But and as I read on, it seems to have attracted the attention of those who are otherwise least interested in the platform. 'Its all going to fall apart and we will all be running android on our Nokia handsets.' SMH.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm excited just because MAYBE this will be the push WP needs and people like myself won't miss out of Nokia devices cause of foolish carrier exclusives :)

I hope MS drops HTC and Samsung like a bad habbit :) and I own a HTC 8X and Samsung ATIV S lol

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
MS doesn't own Nokia's patents.

Does that mean that we could see PureView on Android in the future?

Under the terms of the agreement, Microsoft will pay EUR 3.79 billion to purchase substantially all of Nokia’s Devices & Services business, and EUR 1.65 billion to license Nokia’s patents, for a total transaction price of EUR 5.44 billion in cash.

Nokia will retain its patent portfolio and will grant Microsoft a 10-year license to its patents at the time of the closing. Microsoft will grant Nokia reciprocal rights to use Microsoft patents in its HERE services. In addition, Nokia will grant Microsoft an option to extend this mutual patent agreement in perpetuity.

Microsoft to acquire Nokia

seemaboss

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
WAit..so future "Nokia" phones will still be branded as "Nokia" phones???

what a joke.. nokia will be a different firm ..and why would ms use nokia name after buying it... they would have got into a strategic tie up only if they wanted to use the name.. buying is different.... if phones use Nokia name... Will shareholders of both companies accept it.... Google can use motorola name cause they purchased it fully.. MS has only purchased a part of nokia... so they cant use that name..

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
what a joke.. nokia will be a different firm ..and why would ms use nokia name after buying it... they would have got into a strategic tie up only if they wanted to use the name.. buying is different.... if phones use Nokia name... Will shareholders of both companies accept it.... Google can use motorola name cause they purchased it fully.. MS has only purchased a part of nokia... so they cant use that name..

Microsoft will acquire the Asha brand and will license the Nokia brand for use with current Nokia mobile phone products.

Microsoft to acquire Nokia

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
"Elop was considered a outside candidate for Microsoft's CEO position. Now Elop is considered an internal candidate. " CNBC

We all knew this was going to happen. It isn't surprising at all.

Now I turn my attention to all of the hardware divisions of Microsoft.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
So overall Nokia will fully focus on NSN, HERE and technology innovation? Does micorosft have the hardware innovation? The kind of technology innovation that Nokia has provided in
1) Camera Department (Example PureView cameras)
2) Touchscreen (Amazing screen of Lumia 920 and 1020)
3) Hardware Design (polycarbonate body used with Lumia devices) and
4) Navigation
Microsoft is not even close. MS is completely into software. Without Nokia's technology innovation, their mobile business handled to MS cannot survive. Although MS might handle the marketing, distribution and production process

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It'll be very interesting to see how this plays out with the other OEMs.

In theory WP has always been a vanilla OS, that Microsoft distribute, then the OEM adds their own apps on top of it. Nokia has always been the best, because of their apps, and their exclusives.

Now they are under the Microsoft umbrella, in theory all Nokia apps/exclusives should become available to the other OEMs, which could lead to Nokia becoming the worst OEM to buy, because there is little or nothing exclusive.

Hopefully this is going to benefit WP long term, and maybe under the MS umbrella they can take some more risks, like maybe a phone with a physical keyboard, which would aid the WP push into business.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It'll be very interesting to see how this plays out with the other OEMs.

In theory WP has always been a vanilla OS, that Microsoft distribute, then the OEM adds their own apps on top of it. Nokia has always been the best, because of their apps, and their exclusives.

Now they are under the Microsoft umbrella, in theory all Nokia apps/exclusives should become available to the other OEMs, which could lead to Nokia becoming the worst OEM to buy, because there is little or nothing exclusive.

Hopefully this is going to benefit WP long term, and maybe under the MS umbrella they can take some more risks, like maybe a phone with a physical keyboard, which would aid the WP push into business.
I'd consider Nokia devices to be the best not just because of exclusive apps, but also because of hardware. What other Windows phone manufacturer's camera hardware compares to the Nokia camera hardware?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Only $5 billion for the hardware business, so cheap. That's only 5 surface write downs.

$7 billion (?5 billion). That is 8 write downs ;-)

$7 billion for a division that lost money over the last few quarters is a good sales price.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I know this is kind of belated...
But I literally jumped out of my bed and shouted "Yesss!!!" when I saw this GREAT news from my Nokia Lumia 925 Windows Phone this morning. Hell, its so much more meaningful to say my smartphone name/brand in FULL right now. This is the BEST news I've heard since I adopted WP platform +3 years ago. Thank You, Microsoft & Nokia, Thank You So Very Much ��

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
So overall Nokia will fully focus on NSN, HERE and technology innovation? Does micorosft have the hardware innovation? The kind of technology innovation that Nokia has provided in
1) Camera Department (Example PureView cameras)
2) Touchscreen (Amazing screen of Lumia 920 and 1020)
3) Hardware Design (polycarbonate body used with Lumia devices) and
4) Navigation
Microsoft is not even close. MS is completely into software. Without Nokia's technology innovation, their mobile business handled to MS cannot survive. Although MS might handle the marketing, distribution and production process

I m not understanding this. :p
does the Hardware and service division not contain the Phone Development? the Design team is to be transferred to MS, so how the Design will loose innovation.

I think the MS will retain the exclusivity of Nokia phones and will give the team enough cash support to produce Great devices :D

anon(5803215)

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The part I do not get is the fact the a large part of Nokia phone business are "dumb phones" mainly to emerging markets. Does MS want this side of the business? I know Nokia and MS are pushing smart phones to these markets but I still see "dumb phones" as commercially viable for some time to come. May we see resales of these less sexy parts of the business to someone else like a Huawei or Samsung?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The part I do not get is the fact the a large part of Nokia phone business are "dumb phones" mainly to emerging markets. Does MS want this side of the business? I know Nokia and MS are pushing smart phones to these markets but I still see "dumb phones" as commercially viable for some time to come. May we see resales of these less sexy parts of the business to someone else like a Huawei or Samsung?
Google killed Motorola's dumbphones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss