The Nokia Acquisition (post comments and questions here)

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Great news..........

tumblr_lqp3x983NM1r0a17xo1_r2_500.jpg

Slowly but surely, Microkia will come into full effect.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Im not a fandroid and I am still not happy about the news. I have a feeling this will rather slow down the momentum that Nokia had for WP. Look at Surface. Look at Lumia. Now Lumia is Surface. :(

Sent from my RM-821_eu_france_267 using Tapatalk

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Im not a fandroid and I am still not happy about the news. I have a feeling this will rather slow down the momentum that Nokia had for WP. Look at Surface. Look at Lumia. Now Lumia is Surface. :(

Sent from my RM-821_eu_france_267 using Tapatalk

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The part I do not get is the fact the a large part of Nokia phone business are "dumb phones" mainly to emerging markets. Does MS want this side of the business? I know Nokia and MS are pushing smart phones to these markets but I still see "dumb phones" as commercially viable for some time to come. May we see resales of these less sexy parts of the business to someone else like a Huawei or Samsung?

MS might have intrest on turning the developing market Asha users to low end WP users, and later to higher end WP users.

Nokia giving the right to use the Nokia branding for limited 10 years. However already the Lumia brand is so big, that MS shouldnt have any problem on selling "Lumia" -phones, instead of "Nokia Lumia" -phones. 10 years is more than enough for that transition.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The biggest danger point right now is 4000 Nokia engineers quitting because they are disgusted at the very idea of working for Microsoft.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

I dont think it will slow down Nokia Phones. Even if Nokia was a single player, it wont be able to update the WP OS system. it could only create better hardwares and technologies like PureView for which the MONEY is required. Now the team has the Cash Backing and so the Hardware department may get Boosting. The software department will surely change its mood, Hope it will not Slow down...

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The biggest danger point right now is 4000 Nokia engineers quitting because they are disgusted at the very idea of working for Microsoft.

The Quitting of employees is not important unless they are the KEY EMPLOYEES. the Organization will acquire new employees in place of the ones who left. :p

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
This thread began with mad euphoria. People talking about how this would best benefit the growth of the phone and I agree with them. But and as I read on, it seems to have attracted the attention of those who are otherwise least interested in the platform. 'Its all going to fall apart and we will all be running android on our Nokia handsets.' SMH.

tumblr_lmx644MxZg1qewm2do1_500.gif

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The Quitting of employees is not important unless they are the KEY EMPLOYEES. the Organization will acquire new employees in place of the ones who left. :p

Dream on, I have a hard time believing that Finnish engineers relish the idea of working for Microsoft. They have their pride.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Now Im waiting for Nokia to buy Jolla. Jolla means dinghy in Finnish, which would give "burning platform" letter by Elop even more meaning.

There is 0 doubt that Nokia's smartphone business was in a freefall when Elop came in to the house. The bad decisions were made by Kallasmaa and Ollila before Elop's time. However Elop pretty efficiently killed it in record time. Could the transition been smoother with better CEO? I dont know, but its surely possible.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Curiously, just my observation, looks like all these major mobile players are heading in the long term in some kind of strategic direction with a very similar theme. That is, individual mobile OS platforms having their own housebrand smartphone... examples :

Apple/iPhone
Google/Motorola aka android
Samsung/Tizen in a forseeable future

and now, our beloved Gatecrasher and I mean it in most positively complimentary term...

Microsoft/Nokia Windows Phone.

Just my thought.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So overall Nokia will fully focus on NSN, HERE and technology innovation? Does micorosft have the hardware innovation? The kind of technology innovation that Nokia has provided in
1) Camera Department (Example PureView cameras)
2) Touchscreen (Amazing screen of Lumia 920 and 1020)
3) Hardware Design (polycarbonate body used with Lumia devices) and
4) Navigation
Microsoft is not even close. MS is completely into software. Without Nokia's technology innovation, their mobile business handled to MS cannot survive. Although MS might handle the marketing, distribution and production process

MS has the whole devices and services division, including the R&D.

But MS has an amazing R&D division in its own right.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The part I do not get is the fact the a large part of Nokia phone business are "dumb phones" mainly to emerging markets. Does MS want this side of the business? I know Nokia and MS are pushing smart phones to these markets but I still see "dumb phones" as commercially viable for some time to come. May we see resales of these less sexy parts of the business to someone else like a Huawei or Samsung?

That's a huge market that MS can use to transition people to WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720