The Nokia Acquisition (post comments and questions here)

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So... The speculation continues. No one knows what will happen. Nokia has been bought MS, not absorbed. I'm sure the Nokia and Lumia branding will be seen for a while to come. MS can provide Nokia with some much needed funding. I'm sure things will continue as usual.
And before anyone says... I'm NOT an MS ******. I just think this can only benefit both companies.

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Apparently I'm the only one that bought his Lumia for the OS, while Nokia being the OEM was just a bonus. As long as the phone is good, I really don't care what its branded.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Very disappointed that Microsoft didn't get he HERE division too. That was VERY short sighted with bright future in telematics and big data. I hope they at least got a first right of refusal in their strategic license with them because Google could come in and scoop up both HERE and NSN in order to dominate both LBS and their nascent broadband efforts.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Nokia-branded smartphones to be phased out following Microsoft buyout - Tech News - Digital Spy

So its true, Microsoft will no longer be using the Nokia brand on smartphones only on feature phones? That's awful. Many customers brought into Windows Phone because of peace of mind of Nokia, otherwise if it didn't matter we'd all be using HTV or Samsung, Dell, LG etc...

Dumb idea by Microsoft.

And in a related thought, Nokia's Asha brand is HUGE. An amazing success story. Very profitable. It being absorbed into a company only concerned about smartphones is a near death kneel for this money maker. While we at WPC only care about WP, the Asha brand helped keep Nokia profitable during it's transistion. Just wondering how MS sees feature phones. They really can't put money into that if their priority is WP. These little phones make the Nokia handset division more valuble.

Throw in I just feel that it is near impossible to do hardware and software in this day and age. I hav been saying for two years that Apple is losing it's steam, unable to keep up with innovation or market demand due to going it alone. It is what killed BlackBerry- how does one company do hardware, software, cloud services, music services, app dvelopment, and distribution? It is why Nokia was in trouble- trying to keep Symbian up, develop MeeGo and Meamo, and all the hardware, and keep up with Android software advances and Android partner hardware advances.

Now, MS is all in on the model that is the hardest to get right. I just really do not understand. I know this is a three year process before we know if it works, but we KNOW it was working with Nokia as its own entity and valued partner.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The thing is that Elop no longer has the final say on what goes into Nokia phones. With Marko leaving Microsoft's design team will come in with their ideas and the final say become's ballmer's. With this change, Elop is losing a lot of say in what goes into a Nokia device.
I think he will still have major influence into Nokia's quality, based on who's reporting to him and who he's reporting to.

As part of the agreement, Nokia CEO and President Stephen Elop is stepping aside; as of today he's Nokia's Executive Vice President of Devices & Services reporting to interim CEO Risto Siilasmaa, previously chairman of Nokia's Board of Directors. When the transaction closes, Stephen Elop will go back to Microsoft and lead an expanded Devices team, reporting directly to Steve Ballmer. Julie Larson-Green will report to Elop and continue to run the Devices and Studios team.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I feel very wierd about this. All this time, I was betting Nokia would never be adopted by MS. So, wrong again, I am not sure the lose of Nokia's identitiy is a good thing for WP. I loved that Nokia was a driving force as it's own life support depended on it. Now, it is part of the slow moving Monolith that is MS.

Sigh..... mixed feelings, but worried.

Be worried, very worried.

Not a positive move for me. Microsoft has shown with the Surface tablets that they have no idea how to run a hardware division and the WP team have taken the word "slow" to a whole new level. All the innovation, urgency, commitment that Nokia brought to WP will now be replaced with the typical Microsoft bureaucracy, complacency and ineffectiveness that has been the trademark of the Surface devices. Doubly sad that the Nokia that stood for class leading mobile devices will now be no more. Sad day indeed.

We may be in for witnessing another Windows Mobile 5 - 6.5 aka Windows Phone 8 - 9.5

I'm guessing that Nokia Lumia will become just Lumia *by Microsoft

I guess Microsoft Lumia makes more sense, just like Microsoft Surface RT.

Now I can sleep peacefully at night knowing full well that Nokia will never ever make an Android phone ��

This is THE ONLY positive I can find from all the news today. Android will never run on any Nokia ever. That keeps Nokia pure and elegant till its end.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Now I can sleep peacefully at night knowing full well that Nokia will never ever make an Android phone ��

They can make android or another WP in 5 years(They're restricted to feature phones only for 5 years)
But they don't have Lumia brand anymore and most of their "horse power" works for microsoft now.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing Siemens sold out of their half of NSN the moment they caught wind Microsoft was shopping Nokia. Who could most benefit owning their own broadband equipment company? The outfit trying to give away free broadband (Google).

Who could best be suited for buying Nokia's HERE brand and completely dominate mapping and location technologies? Google. Imagine CityLens on Google Glass...game set match. HERE runs the maps of most autos....Google would be in almost every car nav system....self driving cars if Google has a say.

Microsoft was really dumb for not getting the rest of Nokia.....like super dumb.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
They can make android or another WP in 5 years(They're restricted to feature phones only for 5 years)
But they don't have Lumia brand anymore and most of their "horse power" works for microsoft now.

They are taking all of the intelligence for mobile devices with them. Very few at HERE or NSN know the mobile devices business. However, anyone can slap together android dreck, just look at the crappy Indian android phone companies.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
They are taking all of the intelligence for mobile devices with them. Very few at HERE or NSN know the mobile devices business. However, anyone can slap together android dreck, just look at the crappy Indian android phone companies.

That's what i said... Re-read my comment.
By horse power i mean their most important employes, i hope you understood now...
My favorite gifs LMAO
As far as i know this site ins't Meme Central, i am right?

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I think almost everyone saw this coming. However, Nokia was (arguably) the true force pushing the Windows Phone platform while MS seemed to hold it back. I can't help but think this was done purposely on MS' part in order to keep valuations down in order to buy Nokia out. Saying that, I can't help but think that it hurts WP but that is just my opinion.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Okay, checked Bing Finance right now, and this is what I see.

NOK- Up 38%
MSFT- Down 1.4%

Any explanation for the movement in the Microsoft stock?

Based on my layman logic about stock volatility...
In an M&A, the buyer's share price tend to slide downward while the seller's share tend to glide upwards. Nothing abnormal really ��

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy AND sad.

I will miss seeing Nokia branding on my phones. Since Nokia is still going to keep existing as a company, I doubt that MS will be able to use Nokia's name on phones.

I've loved Nokia phones for almost 20 years.

I didn't see anywhere that the Nokia branding would be gone just that Microsoft owns them now

Sent from my Nokia 928 using Tapatalk

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Well. Since Rockstarzzz is putting the beat-down to anyone posting abou this subject other than here I'll provide my good advise here.

If you own any Nokia shares do not sell them. There will eventually be a large payout to existing shareholders when the deal is done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6