The Nokia Acquisition (post comments and questions here)

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Now I can sleep peacefully at night knowing full well that Nokia will never ever make an Android phone ��

This is THE ONLY positive I can find from all the news today. Android will never run on any Nokia ever. That keeps Nokia pure and elegant till its end.

lol how is going to WP8 any better, Symbian was a LOT closer to Android than it will ever be to WP...

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well. Since Rockstarzzz is putting the beat-down to anyone posting abou this subject other than here I'll provide my good advise here.

If you own any Nokia shares do not sell them. There will eventually be a large payout to existing shareholders when the deal is done.

no there won't There will be an exchange of shares between the two companies and you'll end up with a third (or less) of a MSFT share for every NOK share you own. The best thing to do TODAY, is capture the 33+% that the devices division represents of the NOK stock. Then buy back in once the deal is complete because HERE and NSN will immediately become takeover targets.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Okay, checked Bing Finance right now, and this is what I see.

NOK- Up 38%
MSFT- Down 1.4%

Any explanation for the movement in the Microsoft stock?

It makes little sense really, Microsoft bought Nokia from its overseas cash horde and it put zero dent in the value of the company. That is just a kneejerk reaction from stupid investors.

GideonTerblanche

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Well i know something no more apps or games will be coming to wp and that division gonna be the next Motorola (r.i.p) oh and there wont be any meego type features so updates like amber no more

Welcome to hell people :)

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well i know something no more apps or games will be coming to wp and that division gonna be the next Motorola (r.i.p) oh and there wont be any meego type features so updates like amber no more

Welcome to hell people :)

whatever...Microsoft just bought the mobile OS innovation it never had internally. When an ODM is innovating your own OS better than you, you known you've got a problem.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
People need to stop with the Trojan Horse thing.

Elop didn't make decisions in a vacuum. There is a whole board of directors.

Nokia was ALREADY bleeding badly before Elop got there. They waited too long to act.

They made a valiant effort to turn the company around, but time was not on their side. Investors are finicky people that want results sooner rather than later.

The sale was likely done due to investor pressure to get the stock price up. Nokia had to redefine itself and get rid of the most expensive unit.

Nokia may have gone with MS with the idea that the devices and services division could be appealing to MS in case they couldn't return it to profitability. There's a reason Nokia is diversified and has become major player in location services.

If Nokia went with Android and continued to bleed money in devices and services, what would have happened? It would have dragged down the rest of Nokia and a company like Samsung would have scooped up the whole thing and probably get rid of everything in Finland.

Instead, now Nokia gets to
1) get rid of a division it can't afford
2) KEEP THEIR PATENTS,
3) Have more capital to invest in their growing divisions
4) secure a LARGE customer account for HERE services

neoxphuse

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I am for one, very apprehensive. Nokia is a great brand name, and now there will be no "nokia" branded phones. Are we going to expect the same updates and work that was pushed from Nokia that we are going to see in-house with Microsoft? I highly doubt it. Why? Microsoft is too big, too many chains to go up. I think we'll see updates as fast as Microsoft makes them which is typically slow. The only way this was more beneficial was to have Nokia continue working the way it is.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Everybody calm your tits

Just because Microsoft bought a large part of Nokia doesn't mean that everything will be different, the same people are still working on wp8/nokia devices.
This just means Nokia members now are part of MSFT and have a bigger budget when it comes to marketing (no seperate wp8 and Nokia wp8 commercials)
Also now MSFT can finally merge hardware and software on an Apple/iOS kind of way

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I am for one, very apprehensive. Nokia is a great brand name, and now there will be no "nokia" branded phones. Are we going to expect the same updates and work that was pushed from Nokia that we are going to see in-house with Microsoft? I highly doubt it. Why? Microsoft is too big, too many chains to go up. I think we'll see updates as fast as Microsoft makes them which is typically slow. The only way this was more beneficial was to have Nokia continue working the way it is.

I'll miss seeing the Nokia brand on phones.

As for updates,MS hasn't been slow at all.

I think the biggest changs we'll see is that the WP OS will have more synergy with the hardware and more consistency across platforms.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I did not read it like that. Microsoft is getting the trove of mobile device patents...even the ***************************s here said that Microsoft will be a mobile patent juggernaut now.

MS has licensed the patents. And I believe that MS can sublicense. So that is powerful.

But Nokia still OWNS the patents. They continue to benefit from them.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
They set a sweet licensing deal for HERE, but I am not seeing anywhere that what's left of Nokia will retain the mobile patents.

HERE and NSN will be gobbled up by someone in two year's time. Microsoft better have some sweet first right of refusal deals built into this.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
MS bought some design patents.

Utility patents are still under Nokia.

And I agree that I hope MS has some sort of first right of refusal for the rest of Nokia.

I imagine that MS tried to negotiate a complete buyout, but the board of Nokia didn't want that. They wanted the opportunity for the Finnish company to succeed on its own.

halamadridkimi

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Nokia after two years can come with android phones or whatever smartphone OS, Microsoft has not bought Nokia brand, but I think Nokia will buy Jolla and make their smart phones available q1 2016.. I love Microsoft and all but I really don't like Nokia to be dead, Nokia is awesome, I hope Nokia rises again as their own brand and name.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Nokia after two years can come with android phones or whatever smartphone OS, Microsoft has not bought Nokia brand, but I think Nokia will buy Jolla and make their smart phones available q1 2016.. I love Microsoft and all but I really don't like Nokia to be dead, Nokia is awesome, I hope Nokia rises again

Why would Nokia, who just sold off all of their ability to manufacture on a large scale and sell hardware in hundreds of markets, choose to buy a phone division again? Especially one that doesn't have anywhere near the competitive strength and maturity?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12