The Nokia Acquisition (post comments and questions here)

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think branding wise Microsoft can still market Nokia in markets where the Microsoft brand name is weak. In countries like China where Nokia's brand is very strong Microsoft can take advantage of that brand but in markets like the US where Nokia has lost some traction as a brand, they can market the phones as microsoft phones.

thegamevg

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm really intrigued by how Nokia fits into Microsoft's plans with regards to devices... Sample this...

Microsoft Surface / Surface 2 V/S Lumia Tablet (Rumoured)
Nokia Lumia phones V/S Surface Phone ( again..rumoured)

I don't see how the above scenarios seem feasible .. no point duelling within brands of the same company..
It will be interesting to see how they manage to merge/preserve the existing brand-names without deteriorating what they stand for... I would LOVE to see the Nokia name to become associated with their entire tablet and smartphone device range -- Lumia...Asha...Surface...

"The Nokia Surface" anyone ? :excited:

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
So, Nokia could buy HTC, bring their people back from Microsoft to work in HTC and in 2016 rebrand from HTC to Nokia?

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
If Nokia's brand was that strong (and I wish it was), then they wouldn't have been in the situation where they had to sell their devices and services division.
They may a very poor decision in going Windows phone way. and that cost them dearly. Windows phone growth in contries where Nokia is a very trusted brand is because of Nokia. in other places, Andriod is very difficult to over haul... MS was dragging their feet. Nokia was above to build a fully functional OS in a year.. ASha 1.0. MS was not able to still get things which pple have been complaining from Windows Phone 7. I think this is not going to be good for MS. anyway lets see.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I really feel sad.. without NOKIA there is no reason for me to get a MS phone. I fell like i have lost my identity today. I dont know what phone to get. I was in this for NOKIA. without Nokia, i dont think i will get a MS phone. I am really speechless today.

I really feel that ELOP did this to nokia. I am not saying sinister motive and all. HE ran Nokia to the ground. I dislike that man today.

BTW what happens to all the patents like the Pureview ones?. Does MS get it as well as all their R&D stuff?

You do realize that Nokia was in a financial freefall and losing market share by leaps and bounds BEFORE Elop got there, right?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So, Nokia could buy HTC, bring their people back from Microsoft to work in HTC and in 2016 rebrand from HTC to Nokia?

I want whatever it is you're smoking!

If it was Nokia's intention to remain a player in the smartphone business, then this the stupidest transaction in the history of business. If you're not high, then I assume you are in the first stage of grieving... denial.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I think it was the smartest move EVER made in the smartphones segment.. read my mind.. :

You're now supported (for always) by one of the most giants company in the world, where their pocket is way too big, while nokia by itself wasn't..

Just compare windows systems to windows phone system...

-Windows XP - BIG hit, just like symbian with N95

-Windows vista - It was a ''failure'', but it opened the doors for the future, showing a perfect UI although it had bugs and optimization had to be made (just like wp7)

-Windows 7 - such a big hit, faster and smarter, the system just got perfect (windows phone 8, although sales could be better and they will now.)

-Windows 8 - everyone who knows and understand of tech, knows that this is a perfect system with a great UI, fast and most of all: stable.
Which windows phone is yet to see (windows phone 9?)

Sum up:

Microsoft has always been improving their products, smartphones are the future, and I'm sure microsoft DOES NOT WANT to stay out of it, they bough NOKIA, a big company which is trusted by EVERYONE, by it's name, reability and trustness.

Just like the windows ecosystem, windows phone has been improving, sales are growing and it will be a big hit, we can see that microsoft's position will chance from now on, smartphones are today the biggest market along with pc's/tablets, and now nokia has money.. improvement are coming guys, take your popcorn and watch the future happening.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
MS was responsible for Nokia's freefall? Love the revisionist history here.

Hate to break it to some of you but Nokia had become irrelevant until MS propped them up again.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I want whatever it is you're smoking!

If it was Nokia's intention to remain a player in the smartphone business, then this the stupidest transaction in the history of business. If you're not high, then I assume you are in the first stage of grieving... denial.

7 billion is a lot of money and they are free from the WP exclusivity.
Why they didn't license the Nokia brand to Microsoft for smartphones, only for feature phones?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
God damn people are so confused here. :D

1. Microsoft bought Nokia's Devices &Services business. This includes half of Nokia's workforce and 7 factories around the globe, plus more.
2. Nokia owns its patents and name. It licenses both to Microsoft for 1.4 billion euros. Patent license is for 10 years.

No Microsoft acquired KEY Nokia/Qualcomm licenses and IP. The bulk of the patents were licensed but the mobile meat and potatoes stuff Microsoft got, and they will presumably use it to sue the pants of any android infringers.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
7 billion is a lot of money and they are free from the WP exclusivity.
Why they didn't license the Nokia brand to Microsoft for smartphones, only for feature phones?

Nokia is out of the phone business.

Pretty soon they will be out of business altogether after AAPL or GOOG snatches HERE.

I can see AAPL making a premium offer for HERE in the next two years. They want to be in everyone's car and HERE already is.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Nokia is out of the phone business.

Pretty soon they will be out of business altogether after AAPL or GOOG snatches HERE.

I can see AAPL making a premium offer for HERE in the next two years. They want to be in everyone's car and HERE already is.

I don't think they are out.

Motorola is a google company and you still see: '' NEW motorola moto x, buy now'', not ''Google moto x, buy now''

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Nokia is out. They have two pieces left, NSN and HERE. Somebody visionary like Google might pick up NSN to deploy their own networks. GOOG could also devour HERE to completely seal up the LBS business, but I suspect AAPL would want it more.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

That threat is so obvious, there is no way MS hasn't put up road blocks to prevent that scenario from becoming reality.

In Microsoft's press release we find the following:

"In addition, Microsoft will become a strategic licensee of the HERE platform, and will separately pay Nokia for a four-year license."

I have no idea what it means to become a "strategic licensee", but I'd bet my house that it involves at least a few guards against the scenario you've mentioned

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers