The Nokia Acquisition (post comments and questions here)

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
You do realize that Nokia was in a financial freefall and losing market share by leaps and bounds BEFORE Elop got there, right?

and you do realise that 2% freefall is not the same as 20% freefall? Also you do realise that Nokia would fare a lot better if it went MultiOS route (like Samsung who had Bada Symbian Android WP at the same time) instead of WP only?!

how could anyone deny that is beyond me

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
and you do realise that 2% freefall is not the same as 20% freefall? Also you do realise that Nokia would fare a lot better if it went MultiOS route (like Samsung who had Bada Symbian Android WP at the same time) instead of WP only?!

how could anyone deny that is beyond me
The board of directors disagree with you.

Nokia wasn't in the financial position to split their focus among multiple OSes. Resources were limited. The division was sinking and they couldn't just throw money in several places.

It may be "beyond" you, but that is what the situation was.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
There's no point arguing.

According to the Nokia fan club MS is pure evil that destroyed Nokia and Nokia would have been the next Samsung if it wasn't for MS' meddling.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

According to the Nokia fan club MS is pure evil that destroyed Nokia and Nokia would have been the next Samsung if it wasn't for MS' meddling.

I'm in the Nokia fan club!

I'm sad that I won't see Nokia branding on future smart phones.

But I'm not as silly as some others.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The board of directors disagree with you.

Nokia wasn't in the financial position to split their focus among multiple OSes. Resources were limited. The division was sinking and they couldn't just throw money in several places.

It may be "beyond" you, but that is what the situation was.

The results disagree with BoD, also you don't need to focus on all of them, just offer them to buyers, you bet that Samsung didn't focus on his WP devices...but still sold them (and is still selling them).

Also all those buildings and assets elop has sold could be sold by anyone else, it's not the rocket science really.

I don't state it would have been Samsung but it would certainly have a lot bigger marketshare and nobody can deny that. It would be impossible for Nokia to sell less phones than it is selling nowadays, the first question when you show your WP phone to other people is "why is it not Android?".

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
it would certainly have a lot bigger marketshare and nobody can deny that.

Anyone with a clear head can deny it. Samsung *IS* Android in the same way that Nokia *IS* Windows Phone; how are all the other Android manufacturers doing these days? HTC, who has been at it as long as Samsung? Or LG? Yeah, they've got great marketshare and they just keep getting better.

Nokia would not have survived had they adopted Android, or split their resource pool to support Android and something else. By becoming the de facto standard for WP, they carved out a niche for themselves which has kept them going instead of getting squashed. That's the reality.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone with a clear head can deny it. Samsung *IS* Android in the same way that Nokia *IS* Windows Phone; how are all the other Android manufacturers doing these days? HTC, who has been at it as long as Samsung? Or LG? Yeah, they've got great marketshare and they just keep getting better.

Nokia would not have survived had they adopted Android, or split their resource pool to support Android and something else. By becoming the de facto standard for WP, they carved out a niche for themselves which has kept them going instead of getting squashed. That's the reality.

Well we never know what would have happened. I am sure Samsung is king now but if you look every where, since android is free, every tom ,**** and harry are producing phones from china and getting market share.. and they are very very cheap. I am sure Samsung will be slayed as well but since they are in control of all of their hardware they may get thru it.

Other than that, Andriod means blood bath for all those companies trying to have a good margin.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Guys, I didn't understand 2 things.. I know that microsoft only bough a part of nokia but.. :

1- Why nokia can build phones with it's name on it exactly on 2016? (why this date? since they're from microsoft) and how could they move to android since they're from microsoft now?

2- I don't get this jolla company, could someone explain to me what's the relation between nokia and jolla?

Sorry for my stupidness, just trying to understand..

I believe this a great/big deal, smartphones are today's biggest role on the market, and microsoft wants to make part of it, at least for me, it signed this today when it bought nokia.. I think they're going to dive now as they can to get market, and nokia teams will continue under microsoft's hood, which is a good thing, since it has a big pocket and the head guys on nokia still continue, meaning that we will see GREAT phones in the future..

nokia needs microsoft money and microsoft needs nokia to improve on smartphones market.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Jolla is made up of all the pissed off MeeGo people that left Nokia when MS made the WP deal. They forked MeeGo into Sailfish OS and released a phone in May.....what never heard of it? That speaks to its success.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Hostile takeover!!

MS will canonise Elop for taking Nokia down from the inside...very shrewd ;)

Overall, this is pretty good news. It has been on the cards so not much of a surprise.

I just hope WP is opened up a little bit but accept that isn't very likely.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Nokia diehards think they would take that pile of MSFT money and buy back MeeGo effectively. What a stupid and utter waste of money.

That won't happen anyways. With MSFT out of the way someone will make an offer for HERE that NOK can't refuse.

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
If I understand correctly, Microsoft won't be able to sue others for using the Nokia patents. Microsoft is merely leasing the right to use the patents, it is Nokia that would need to sue for other companies using the patents.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering if wp8 is doing good why did Nokia sell even before blackberry sold if I read right Nokia wasn't making money or am I reading wrong so they sold but what gets me is the sold out before blackberry.what ever way u put it if Nokia is not profiting Nokia is wp8 then wp8 is not making money...not good

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if wp8 is doing good why did Nokia sell even before blackberry sold if I read right Nokia wasn't making money or am I reading wrong so they sold but what gets me is the sold out before blackberry.what ever way u put it if Nokia is not profiting Nokia is wp8 then wp8 is not making money...not good

It's very hard to comprehend what you're trying to say when you go all stream-of-consciousness without any punctuation.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Still seems crazy to me that they will change the branding now, Microsoft Lumia, really? There's no need to change the brand name when you buy the company right? Like Google and Motorola, Facebook and Instagram, Google and Youtube etc..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb