The Nokia Acquisition (post comments and questions here)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Nokia could sell its mobile business for a lot more money when elop came and be in this same position only with a lot more mioney, so where is your logic here that he has done a good job?

...and your proof is?

Most potential buyers were waiting for Nokia to go bankrupt so that they could get ownership of the patents.

What other buyer was there that would have been okay with letting Nokia keep their patents?

A mystery buyer who wanted a business that was on the way down but also didn't want the intellectual property?

example : you have the car that you can sell without wheels for $10K, you get $10K and keep the wheels, 2nd option you lend it to someone who drives it and destroys it so you can now get $1K and have those same wheels as before, that person done a good thing according to you?

First let's see the offer that was better. And no hypothetical mystery buyers, okay?

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: MS buys Nokia for 7 Billion... Cost already 18 Billion...

when a company sells its because thing aren't going well. So Nokia not doing well does not makes sense .saying goodbye to Nokia is not good for me or anyone.wp8 looks sweet but I would never want to try it on a huawei those phones are bad. But wp8 on a nokia now not only do you have a badass phone but its working on a sweet os nokia has proven history as quality phones just like Toyotas and hondas

I don't think people understand that the Lumia team will continue to make lumias just under the Microsoft brand... Nokia isn't going away just the brand name.

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site

I don't think people understand that the Lumia team will continue to make lumias just under the Microsoft brand... Nokia isn't going away just the brand name.

this

millercrew5

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I remember Microsoft getting into video games! Hey this is going to make for a better product for us. Better collaboration on phones and tablets sound like a win to me. All we can do is wait and see😊

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

bryantest

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Listening to this week's Windows Weekly is very interesting Windows Weekly 327 | TWiT.TV

Paul Thurrot is slightly negative and is scared Nokia is going to be changed and become like Microsoft. I don't know exactly what this means.

He means that he's afraid people working for Nokia Devices will be sucked in Microsoft's corporate culture that is described as Slow, Complacent and Arrogant. (Read the Vanity Fair story about Microsoft for reference. I will guarantee you that you will never ever see Microsoft in the same light again after reading said article)

The only hope we have in making this acquisition work is that Microsoft will be instead influenced by Nokia's underdog and agile mentality.

bryantest

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site

May I suggest you read articles about "Brand Equity"

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
He means that he's afraid people working for Nokia Devices will be sucked in Microsoft's corporate culture that is described as Slow, Complacent and Arrogant. (Read the Vanity Fair story about Microsoft for reference.)

The only hope we have in making this acquisition work is that Microsoft will be instead influenced by Nokia's underdog and agile mentality.

Considering the staff will remain mostly intact and stay in Finland, I really don't see the Microsoft culture magically brainwashing them overnight.

In addition, Microsoft has been actively trying to fix their culture and become a more agile business. So defeating that kind of culture at Nokia would be counter to their goals.

bryantest

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Considering the staff will remain mostly intact and stay in Finland, I really don't see the Microsoft culture magically brainwashing them overnight.

In addition, Microsoft has been actively trying to fix their culture and become a more agile business. So defeating that kind of culture at Nokia would be counter to their goals.

Have you read this? Honestly I think system is main culprit of the corrupt corporate culture at Microsoft.

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer retires: A firsthand account of the company’s employee-ranking system. - Slate Magazine

Can you imagine a Nokia employee being evaluated by this kind of performance evaluation system? DAMN!

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Oh please, it's not like Nokia culture is all roses and rainbows. Look at this crap Nokia had before Elop came in:

Juhani Risku, a manager who worked on user interface designs for Symbian from 2001 to 2009, said his team had offered 500 proposals to improve Symbian but could not get even one through.

Imagine staying to work for a company like THAT, is it any better and less demoralising than stacked ranking? Arguable.

The best take away is that Elop DID fix this kind of stupid management bureaucracy at Nokia with the flood of release of all these great handsets and he is coming back to MS to lead the Device and Service division. So stay optimistic.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Oh please, it's not like Nokia culture is all roses and rainbows. Look at this crap Nokia had before Elop came in:

Imagine staying to work for a company like THAT, is it any better and less demoralising than stacked ranking? Arguable.

The best take away is that Elop DID fix this kind of stupid management bureaucracy at Nokia with the flood of release of all these great handsets and he is coming back to MS to lead the Device and Service division. So stay optimistic.

noone can deny that Nokia needed change, but they needed change to a better...

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

A case of miscommunication.

You know other cases in Nokia's history?
-Series 80 cancelled in favor of Series 60.
-The fiasco that was S60 5th Edition
-The Symbian team not having a say in anything MeeGo-related (i.e. Working separately)

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
How long do you think before we see a Microsoft branded device?

Does seem like a set up and a shady take over... Elop a former MS head goes to Nokia as the CEO, Nokia announces an Exclusive deal with Microsofts OS, Balmer retiring and Elop rumored to be runner up for Microsofts new CEO, Microsoft purchases Nokia.

BUT guess what? I don't care! and excited! excited Microsoft will most likely drop other OEM's like HTC, Samsung, LG etc who half @$$ supported Windows Phone in favor of Android because its a free OS... I dislike Iphones BUT one thing you can't knock is Apple owns and makes it's own hardware and makes sure it a quality built device. I expect MS to have Surface quality devices pushed to all carriers and not restricted to exclusive carrier deals due to being able to afford marketing for them.

Let Samsung smoother Android and let HTC try for another 6 months and go bankrupt.

Not a Nokia ****** either... My WP devices were the LG Optimus Quantum, Titan II, HTC 8X and currently using a Samsung ATIV S.

seelani

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Finally seeing some positivity in this thread despite our skepticism about the deal.
It makes sense that Steve Ballmer needs to leave for the new culture to takeover Microsoft.
I believe Elop maybe one of the best men for the job. However while saying this, I must remind you that the boards at Nokia/Microsoft were ultimately responsible for their choice of CEO. There is no such thing as a "shady" deal.
Turns out Nokia was losing strength in their market, Windows needed hardware expertise. So we had the Nokia Lumia line. Just at this point to improve the relationship/business Microsoft has purchased Nokia's devices and services. But Microsoft ain't stupid enough to try all this under old leadership and culture.

Looking forward to Surface standard products running a fluid and sexy OS, that can do actual work. And perhaps Nokia coming out of this deal as the powerhouse mobile device company we all know and love.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
The only quality hardware that Microsoft produces is Xbox
Nokia might not provide all its secret component to Microsoft to succeed. Any ways that's my presumption. Now that Nokia is taken i wish Microsoft good luck and continue the vision created by Nokia

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb