The Nokia Acquisition (post comments and questions here)

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The only quality hardware that Microsoft produces is Xbox
Nokia might not provide all its secret component to Microsoft to succeed. Any ways that's my presumption. Now that Nokia is taken i wish Microsoft good luck and continue the vision created by Nokia

Microsoft LifeCam. Microsoft LifeChat. Yet two more quality products from Microsoft.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The only quality hardware that Microsoft produces is Xbox
Nokia might not provide all its secret component to Microsoft to succeed. Any ways that's my presumption. Now that Nokia is taken i wish Microsoft good luck and continue the vision created by Nokia

What hardware does MS make that isn't high quality?

dw852

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I used to have a M$ optical mouse, it costs me about US$12 and last for less than a year. Then I bought another no brand optical mouse for US$1, and I have been using it for 2 years.

Oh... btw, I am using a ThinkPad laptop and it is not very good in quality too.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I used to have a M$ optical mouse, it costs me about US$12 and last for less than a year. Then I bought another no brand optical mouse for US$1, and I have been using it for 2 years.

Oh... btw, I am using a ThinkPad laptop and it is not very good in quality too.

My sister had a Nokia that had to be replaced after 2 months.

But overall, Nokia makes quality devices. Same with Microsoft.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
IMO as a result of this deal, Nokia has become the OFFICIAL windows phone...but I wonder if this will damage Nokia's originality, though it's good to know that they are keeping most, if not all the employees and keeping the headquarters in Finland, so Nokia will stay a Finnish company like it always has been.

Let me explain by what I mean by official Windows phone. It would have the same value/exclusivity/favour as iPhone has to Apple, so Nokia will be to Microsoft.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Nokia has become nothing, since its mobile division ceased to exist under Nokia name.

Nothing except a profitable and stable company that has a legitimate chance to become the #1 provider of location services in the world.

So yeah. Other than being a world leader in a high tech market, they're nothing.

SMH

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Xbox 360 rrod on my third one

The 360 is the only hardware that I know of from MS that's had quality issues.

They extended the warranty and replace faulty units beyond the original warranty term.

They also publicly admitted to there being a problem and remedied it.

Not exactly ttheactions of a company that would have bad quality as the norm.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
For those worried about the Nokia "brand" disappearing, Microsoft says they intend to use the brand for the next ten years. Full interview at link.

We ask Nokia sales boss Chris Weber:
NC: How about the Nokia brand on the phones. Having it printed on there? A lot of readers care about that.

CW: In factual terms, Microsoft intends to buy the right to use the Nokia brand on its phones for ten years.
There?s a commitment now that this will happen for the Asha and feature phones business going forward.
On smartphones, it?s more complicated and we?ll be seeking to create a unified brand across Lumia and other Windows based devices. But we?re still a long way from when that decision has to be made.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
we are clearly talking about mobile here
Not really. Nokia as an overall company has been mentioned MANY times in this thread.

It's also pretty silly to say that a company failed or died if they decided to focus on something else.

I understand the emotional loss the consumer feels. It's all nostalgia. But Nokia is going to be just dandy.

They haven't "become nothing" as you stated.

It's funny that with your qualifier you're basically stating, "Nokia has become nothing since selling its devices and services division,... as long as we only are willing to only consider the devices and services division."

That's like saying 4-1=0 (because we're not talking about the other 3)

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
this thread is titled "Nokia acquisition" and the discussion is about MS buying Nokia mobile division, for the amount several times less than it could be sold before elop came for the CEO

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
falling fast? While yes market share was decreasing(but not that fast) because of some new very promising OS(es) smartphone sales were actually raising...until that idiotic memo.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
falling fast? While yes market share was decreasing(but not that fast) because of some new very promising OS(es) smartphone sales were actually raising...until that idiotic memo.

It was falling fast.

Your claim that someone was willing to buy Nokia's failing business WITHOUT its patents for a high price is completely unsupported. You literally just made it up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion