Verge suggests MS will now kill off Lumia.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
That's not what they're saying at all. They're saying that Microsoft can only brand Asha phones as Nokias. A Lumia phone would presumably have to be branded Microsoft.

Impulsive_Mulia

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
well i think that it would be best for Microsoft not to tinker with the NOKIA branding in the Lumia line-up... shouldn't they? they should add MICROSOFT tag only when there would be a special Windows mobile phone just like Google's nexus series.... what say?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Apparently now they will only concentrate on Asha. I think the Verge is talking rubbish

I think you need to concentrate more when reading ;-)

What they are saying is that Microsoft plans to position WP as a natural upgrade path from Nokia's Asha devices. Smartphones are the future, and it's just a matter of time before feature phones are a dead. Current Asha users represent a huge chunk of the worlds future smartphone market share. Getting most of them to switch to WP instead of iOS or Android shoud definitely be one of MS' top priorities.

They're saying that Microsoft can only brand Asha phones as Nokias. A Lumia phone would presumably have to be branded Microsoft.

If that is what The Verge is saying, then it is wrong. From Microsoft's press release:

"Microsoft is acquiring Nokia?s Smart Devices business unit, including the Lumia brand and products."

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia name is part of the acquisition. However, the Nokia name is another story. Nokia is not going to cease to exist here and they have a century old tradition which they intend to build upon. So yes, I don't think we'll be seeing Nokia branded smartphones after the transition is complete.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is going to use the Nokia Asha brand to lure people over to Microsoft Lumia or whatever. I'm guessing that Nokia Lumia will live on indefinitely as a brand in markets with high brand awareness.

If you think about it though Nokia was used most prominently with mobile devices. HERE is a brand trying to stand on its own. NSN has nokia in its acronym, but I don't see that division long for this world....I expect it sold off at a profit here very soon.

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I can already see it. A slimmer Lumia with a cyan matte back, and windows 8 logo on the back. Plus Nokia's durability expertise? I'm about to faint.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
What they are saying is that Microsoft plans to position WP as a natural upgrade path from Nokia's Asha devices. Smartphones are the future, and it's just a matter of time before feature phones are a dead. Current Asha users represent a huge chunk of the worlds future smartphone market share. Getting most of them to switch to WP instead of iOS or Android shoud definitely be one of MS' top priorities.

This is a brilliant move on Microsoft's part. Reports I've read say that most new WP users are feature phone users getting their first smartphone. Not so many are switching to WP from another smartphone platform. With the ultra low cost, good performing WP8 devices, this is the perfect market. Also, feature phone users are not yet tied into a platform's ecosystem, so the platform they choose is relatively unimportant at that point. We all know it's not easy to switch platforms once the cement hardens.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I found it very easy to switch from my evo to my 920. No problems or regrets what so ever. I actually do more now with my phone than I did before. But it is a very good move to go after a market with no allegiances or habits to change.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss