09-05-2013 11:21 AM
36 12
tools
    Apparently now they will only concentrate on Asha. I think the Verge is talking rubbish.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/9/2/...-windows-phone
    Twitter@Firas_MD likes this.
    09-03-2013 12:41 AM
    That's not what they're saying at all. They're saying that Microsoft can only brand Asha phones as Nokias. A Lumia phone would presumably have to be branded Microsoft.
    09-03-2013 12:51 AM
    Apparently now they will only concentrate on Asha. I think the Verge is talking rubbish.

Microsoft buys Nokia's devices unit in a $7.2 billion bid for its mobile future | The Verge
    Dont read these. Read what MS and Nokia are saying. :D
    09-03-2013 12:51 AM
    well i think that it would be best for Microsoft not to tinker with the NOKIA branding in the Lumia line-up... shouldn't they? they should add MICROSOFT tag only when there would be a special Windows mobile phone just like Google's nexus series.... what say?
    09-03-2013 01:22 AM
    MS has their LOGO on all the Windows Phones. So no need of additional Branding :D
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-03-2013 01:27 AM
    Lol, it's the Verge, your one stop shop for all WP negativity!
    09-03-2013 01:30 AM
    Apparently now they will only concentrate on Asha. I think the Verge is talking rubbish
    I think you need to concentrate more when reading ;-)

What they are saying is that Microsoft plans to position WP as a natural upgrade path from Nokia's Asha devices. Smartphones are the future, and it's just a matter of time before feature phones are a dead. Current Asha users represent a huge chunk of the worlds future smartphone market share. Getting most of them to switch to WP instead of iOS or Android shoud definitely be one of MS' top priorities.

They're saying that Microsoft can only brand Asha phones as Nokias. A Lumia phone would presumably have to be branded Microsoft.
    If that is what The Verge is saying, then it is wrong. From Microsoft's press release:

"Microsoft is acquiring Nokias Smart Devices business unit, including the Lumia brand and products."
    09-03-2013 01:44 AM
    MS has their LOGO on all the Windows Phones. So no need of additional Branding :D
    well actually in India Lumia devices(GSM) does come without MSFT tag on their skin and i preferred that way :) MSFT tag on Lumia devices skin WILL freak me out !!
    09-03-2013 02:14 AM
    well actually in India Lumia devices(GSM) does come without MSFT tag on their skin and i preferred that way :) MSFT tag on Lumia devices skin WILL freak me out !!
    What u mean?? Your phone has no Center soft-button holding Windows LOGO? My LUMIA 620 in India has that :D
    HaibaneReki and Eas195 like this.
    09-03-2013 02:16 AM
    Verge will be writing stuff double the normal work force today because of their panic and click baits they can put out today.
    09-03-2013 02:48 AM
    Verge will be writing stuff double the normal work force today because of their panic and click baits they can put out today.
    I smell sour grapes.
    09-03-2013 03:22 AM
    The Lumia name is part of the acquisition. However, the Nokia name is another story. Nokia is not going to cease to exist here and they have a century old tradition which they intend to build upon. So yes, I don't think we'll be seeing Nokia branded smartphones after the transition is complete.
    ExBB likes this.
    09-03-2013 03:22 AM
    Microsoft is going to use the Nokia Asha brand to lure people over to Microsoft Lumia or whatever. I'm guessing that Nokia Lumia will live on indefinitely as a brand in markets with high brand awareness.

If you think about it though Nokia was used most prominently with mobile devices. HERE is a brand trying to stand on its own. NSN has nokia in its acronym, but I don't see that division long for this world....I expect it sold off at a profit here very soon.
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-03-2013 08:19 AM
    I wonder when and why the Verge's gripe against MS started..
    dericslab likes this.
    09-03-2013 08:34 AM

If that is what The Verge is saying, then it is wrong. From Microsoft's press release:

"Microsoft is acquiring Nokia’s Smart Devices business unit, including the Lumia brand and products."
    Yeah... no. Microsoft can only use the Nokia name on FEATURE phones. A smartphone on par with a Lumia will have the Microsoft brand name, or another name entirely.
    09-03-2013 10:21 AM
    everybody knows Lumia is a better brand name anyways, especially Spaniards lol
    a5cent likes this.
    09-03-2013 10:23 AM
    I can already see it. A slimmer Lumia with a cyan matte back, and windows 8 logo on the back. Plus Nokia's durability expertise? I'm about to faint.
    09-03-2013 10:30 AM
    From Microsoft's press release:

"Microsoft is acquiring Nokia’s Smart Devices business unit, including the Lumia brand and products."
    Exactly. So it'll be a Microsoft Lumia, and a Nokia Asha.
    09-03-2013 11:53 AM
    What they are saying is that Microsoft plans to position WP as a natural upgrade path from Nokia's Asha devices. Smartphones are the future, and it's just a matter of time before feature phones are a dead. Current Asha users represent a huge chunk of the worlds future smartphone market share. Getting most of them to switch to WP instead of iOS or Android shoud definitely be one of MS' top priorities.
    This is a brilliant move on Microsoft's part. Reports I've read say that most new WP users are feature phone users getting their first smartphone. Not so many are switching to WP from another smartphone platform. With the ultra low cost, good performing WP8 devices, this is the perfect market. Also, feature phone users are not yet tied into a platform's ecosystem, so the platform they choose is relatively unimportant at that point. We all know it's not easy to switch platforms once the cement hardens.
    a5cent and sumton like this.
    09-03-2013 12:26 PM
    I found it very easy to switch from my evo to my 920. No problems or regrets what so ever. I actually do more now with my phone than I did before. But it is a very good move to go after a market with no allegiances or habits to change.
    Laura Knotek, sumton and Eas195 like this.
    09-03-2013 12:51 PM
    The Verge when was the last time they had anything good to say about Windows Phone in general.
    09-03-2013 01:42 PM
    The Verge when was the last time they had anything good to say about Windows Phone in general.
    When was the first time? Have you read anything the rest of us missed?
    09-03-2013 01:48 PM
    ^ lol

Exactly. So it'll be a Microsoft Lumia, and a Nokia Asha.
    Finally, someone who gets it. Took about a million other posts to get to this point ;-)

Ninja edit:

I assume that since MS acquired that right to use the Lumia brand name, they also intend to use it, but I wouldn't bet on it myself at this point. They can use it, but they aren't forced to. It does seem the most likely scenario.
    HaibaneReki likes this.
    09-03-2013 02:18 PM
    they will use it where it has the strongest recognition. A Surface Phone is definitely still in the cards.
    Jazmac likes this.
    09-03-2013 03:26 PM
    Firt off, I think anyone or any article still ever so sure of feature phones dying completly off anytime soon just needs to be disregarded straight away. Pencil it in: Feature Phones will still be a large money maker a decade from now. Maybe it will be only 20%-30% of mobile sales, and yes I am sure Smart Phones will be outselling them, but there will be large markets for feature phones. Cheap always sells.

However, if the Asha series is still a part of that, I will fall over and pass out. MS has bigger fish to fry. They will trim down this purchase of all these Nokia factories and employees to something they are comfortable with, and they will want the emphasis on WP growth and features. Obviously, less then 48 hours from where this was announced is a stupid time to debate how this purchase will effect who and when. But, seeings how it is big news, there will be guesses galore. Mine is the Asha series exists for 2 more years and gets phased out.
    09-03-2013 03:30 PM
36 12