Microsoft will not own the Nokia name for Smartphones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexanderJJJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Yup. No more Nokia smartphones. Ever.

My guess is that they'll still be Nokia phones under the Nokia name until the deal is complete which is around the same time as Windows Phone 8.1 will be arriving. So your first Microsoft phone and the end of Nokia should be around February/March.

EAA575

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
My guess is that they'll still be Nokia phones under the Nokia name until the deal is complete which is around the same time as Windows Phone 8.1 will be arriving. So your first Microsoft phone and the end of Nokia should be around February/March.
Yeah I keep forgetting this deal won't be complete until next year, but what smartphone(s) are they gonna release by then? :/

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

I would guess the same. How this will affect those buyers who are loyal to the Nokia brand is anybody's guess. I think Microsoft has to be real careful in how they approach the transition and try and retain that loyalty as much as possible.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
This is just terrible. How did the shareholders and the board of directors even allow this travesty to occur? I hope this deal falls through or something happens that it doesn't happen.

AlexanderJJJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I keep forgetting this deal won't be complete until next year, but what smartphone(s) are they gonna release by then? :/

Supposedly the Nokia "Bandit" 6 inch phablet phone and a Nokia "Sirius" 10.1' tablet running Windows RT, maybe some mid-low range phones mixed in as well.

I wish they would keep the Nokia name! Microsoft Lumia doesn't sound as great as Nokia Lumia!

I would guess the same. How this will affect those buyers who are loyal to the Nokia brand is anybody's guess. I think Microsoft has to be real careful in how they approach the transition and try and retain that loyalty as much as possible.

Agreed!

This is just terrible. How did the shareholders and the board of directors even allow this travesty to occur? I hope this deal falls through or something happens that it doesn't happen.

I think Nokia could have survived on it's own but it would have taken much longer to get into a well enough position if they didn't have the help from Microsoft. The only thing that irritates me is that Microsoft won't keep the Nokia name for smartphones! :/

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Is that the fandroid in you shivering as Nokia won't EVER run Android?

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Is that the fandroid in you shivering as you Nokia won't EVER run Android?
Only a Microsoft ****** will be pleased at this news. For the rest who actually have historically loved Nokia, and not just in the past 24 months, this is pretty sad news. Ever held the N93? Sorry, it probably wasn't even released where you live. So yeah, this is bad news.

Oh and FYI, I'm an iPhone owner and have been for a while.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Supposedly the Nokia "Bandit" 6 inch phablet phone and a Nokia "Sirius" 10.1' tablet running Windows RT, maybe some mid-low range phones mixed in as well.

I wish they would keep the Nokia name! Microsoft Lumia doesn't sound as great as Nokia Lumia!

Agreed!

I think Nokia could have survived on it's own but it would have taken much longer to get into a well enough position if they didn't have the help from Microsoft. The only thing that irritates me is that Microsoft won't keep the Nokia name for smartphones! :/

I don't think that's an option in Microsoft's control. Nokia is still their own entity and plans to continue as a revamped company. They hardly would want to just give their brand recognition away to Microsoft.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Only a Microsoft ****** will be pleased at this news. For the rest who actually have historically loved Nokia, and not just in the past 24 months, this is pretty sad news. Ever held the N93? Sorry, it probably wasn't even released where you live. So yeah, this is bad news.

I disagree. While the control of the devices division switches hands, that doesn't mean that all the things that made Nokia great, can't continue under Microsoft. Whether or not that will be the case, certainly remains to be seen, but time will tell the story.

EAA575

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

This is exactly my situation. I've been a fan of Nokia for several years and I'm quite upset by this news. I didn't mind the partnership in 2011 because I thought it would be the best choice for Nokia (I even defended it), now...I don't know. Sure they'll still make great smartphones but it'll be under Microsoft, not Nokia :(

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Agreed!

Nokia as a brand name on Lumia and WP is so so so much important right now. Just to drop it when WP is getting closer to mainstream is such a big branding mistakes. This is against all the textbooks of branding.

I've used Nokia for 32 years of my life. So yeah, probably more models than you've known. But if your burst out is only because of a sinking company it is irrelevant here. Nokia as a company still exists but won't make phones - the single product that it produced in bulk and yet didn't get positive profits.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. While the control of the devices division switches hands, that doesn't mean that all the things that made Nokia great, can't continue under Microsoft. Whether or not that will be the case, certainly remains to be seen, but time will tell the story.
They may be great. But it's not the same thing if it's Microsoft branded and not Nokia. Nokia is huge in Asia, which itself is a huge continent.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly my situation. I've been a fan of Nokia for several years and I'm quite upset by this news. I didn't mind the partnership in 2011 because I thought it would be the best choice for Nokia (I even defended it), now...I don't know. Sure they'll still make great smartphones but it'll be under Microsoft, not Nokia :(

Why should it matter, if they are using much of the same staff, resources and design and innovation that made Nokia stand out in the first place? I can understand having some doubt about whether or not they will continue those traditions, but it think building on the processes that Nokia has established, benefits Microsoft greatly. I'd hope that they realize this and that played a role in the acquisition. Until I see evidence to the contrary, I'll remain optimistic.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

been using Nokia as far back as the 3310, went away from them after the 5800 XpressMusic, came back to them in January, and I'm happy. I wanted Nokia to do well, and I reckon this will help them.

EAA575

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Why should it matter, if they are using much of the same staff, resources and design and innovation that made Nokia stand out in the first place? I can understand having some doubt about whether or not they will continue those traditions, but it think building on the processes that Nokia has established, benefits Microsoft greatly. I'd hope that they realize this and that played a role in the acquisition. Until I see evidence to the contrary, I'll remain optimistic.

Yeah, that made Nokia stand out. Now Nokia is nothing more than NSN and HERE. This'll be just another one of Microsoft's divisions.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I've used Nokia for 32 years of my life. So yeah, probably more models than you've known. But if your burst out is only because of a sinking company it is irrelevant here. Nokia as a company still exists but won't make phones - the single product that it produced in bulk and yet didn't get positive profits.
My burst is because I'll never see another Nokia branded smartphone again. It's a legitimate complain for anyone even remotely interested in Nokia and pretty much everyone out there share the same sentiments as me. No one cares about the network hardware and other gizmos Nokia might still continue to make, it was and has always been about their phones ever since they went into the phone business.
And as for your jab about a Nokia Android phone. If there was ever a time for that, it would be now. Nokia has effectively washed its hands off Windows Phone and have gotten $7B dollars for it. For all you know they will restart in 2 years with Android as their OS.

Polkka

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

Agreed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss