Microsoft will not own the Nokia name for Smartphones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
They may be great. But it's not the same thing if it's Microsoft branded and not Nokia. Nokia is huge in Asia, which itself is a huge continent.

As I mentioned in another thread, I think MSFT has to be very careful about the transition. They must do all that they can to promote and educate the world, that while they'll be taking over, all the things that built a Nokia fan base, will continue to be the vision for the future. The Nokia loyalists must be retained as much as possible and it won't necessarily be an easy task, but it must be a task that MSFT puts a lot of effort and resources into; and, to a smaller degree, Nokia could help out by showing a great deal of confidence in Microsoft continuing on the path that they've set for them.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
My burst is because I'll never see another Nokia branded smartphone again. It's a legitimate complain for anyone even remotely interested in Nokia and pretty much everyone out there share the same sentiments as me. No one cares about the network hardware and other gizmos Nokia might still continue to make, it was and has always been about their phones ever since they went into the phone business.
And as for your jab about a Nokia Android phone. If there was ever a time for that, it would be now. Nokia has effectively washed its hands off Windows Phone and have gotten $7B dollars for it. For all you know they will restart in 2 years with Android as their OS.

Anyone with slightest knowledge of economics will say that cannot and will not happen. $7B was the much need cash for Nokia for not becoming another Blackberry which relied solely on its phone making and now is on verge of getting bust. That $7B will only be enough for Nokia to survive doing what it does best using its patents on mapping. Again with that it's facing a giant task with Google Maps expanding rapidly. To restart making phone hardware Nokia will need to re-establish and re-invest in everything. Even Microsoft with all it's might hasn't been able to start off making new hardware (eg Surface) right from scratch. It will be foolish for Nokia to return into making phones, that too Android phone where Samsung and HTC will suck them for every single pence they invest. So they are really lucky to have $7B for selling their hardware and services and licensing out patents to make sure they don't go bust. A return into hardware manufacturing (resource intensive) will make it go bust and that is the day when you should have an outburst and cry like a baby, not today. Today, Microsoft saved Nokia, again. Yes, we won't see a Nokia branded phone anymore, but I rather see Nokia survive in business than see them make a product that isn't making profit. They've not washed their hands off WP, they've washed hands off "phone making" - even Asha, the much hailed low-end queen in emerging markets.

trincowski

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
This is just terrible. How did the shareholders and the board of directors even allow this travesty to occur? I hope this deal falls through or something happens that it doesn't happen.

They didn't. Shareholders will only vote on this on 19 November. Sincerely, I hope they reject it. I prefer to own a Nokia Lumia than a Microsoft Lumia... and let's face it, Microsoft tends to mess up everything it owns. Just look at what they did with their precious jewel, the XBox. It went from a jewel to a trashcan.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
They didn't. Shareholders will only vote on this on 19 November. Sincerely, I hope they reject it. I prefer to own a Nokia Lumia than a Microsoft Lumia... and let's face it, Microsoft tends to mess up everything it owns. Just look at what they did with their precious jewel, the XBox. It went from a jewel to a trashcan.

Xbox has thumped the market for a decade and lets face it Microsoft has deeper pockets than Nokia. Those deeper pockets are good for our Lumia (that has WP OS on it) than what Nokia alone could achieve with their spare change.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Anyone with slightest knowledge of economics will say that cannot and will not happen. $7B was the much need cash for Nokia for not becoming another Blackberry which relied solely on its phone making and now is on verge of getting bust. That $7B will only be enough for Nokia to survive doing what it does best using its patents on mapping. Again with that it's facing a giant task with Google Maps expanding rapidly. To restart making phone hardware Nokia will need to re-establish and re-invest in everything. Even Microsoft with all it's might hasn't been able to start off making new hardware (eg Surface) right from scratch. It will be foolish for Nokia to return into making phones, that too Android phone where Samsung and HTC will suck them for every single pence they invest. So they are really lucky to have $7B for selling their hardware and services and licensing out patents to make sure they don't go bust. A return into hardware manufacturing (resource intensive) will make it go bust and that is the day when you should have an outburst and cry like a baby, not today. Today, Microsoft saved Nokia, again. Yes, we won't see a Nokia branded phone anymore, but I rather see Nokia survive in business than see them make a product that isn't making profit. They've not washed their hands off WP, they've washed hands off "phone making" - even Asha, the much hailed low-end queen in emerging markets.
I know it's not realistically possible right now for Nokia to make Android phones, but at least in theory it is. Previously it was impossible under both scenarios due to legal issues.

And no, today Microsoft has not saved Nokia. You can paint a very rosy picture but you still cannot claim that. Wasn't it this exact website that used to claim Nokia made a good decision going with Windows Phone and that they will benefit financially eventually? Why the sudden change of heart?
Microsoft could have saved Nokia by injecting in a big sum of money. Buying a company isn't saving a company.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I think this is a disgrace, because most of us here invested into Windows Phone mainly with the peace of mind of Nokia. I got the Lumia 900 because I saw the Nokia branding and I knew it would be quality not because I knew anything at the time about Windows Phone.

I really urge them to keep the Nokia branding otherwise they could destroy Windows Phone once and for all

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

Well I'm a shareholder and I am all in with it! Gonna be hard not to sell before then.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I know it's not realistically possible right now for Nokia to make Android phones, but at least in theory it is. Previously it was impossible under both scenarios due to legal issues.

And no, today Microsoft has not saved Nokia. You can paint a very rosy picture but you still cannot claim that. Wasn't it this exact website that used to claim Nokia made a good decision going with Windows Phone and that they will benefit financially eventually? Why the sudden change of heart?
Microsoft could have saved Nokia by injecting in a big sum of money. Buying a company isn't saving a company.

Yes Nokia HAS made a good decision going WP, else it would have gone bust a year ago with its Symbian line of phones without the money that Microsoft gave every quarter of the year to keep it going. In return to that, Nokia did an excellent job of creating a buzz for WP and get brand recognition. Now Lumia brand is well known. For WP, Lumia is known more than Nokia. Thus, by getting the brand name Lumia, MS has shown that yes, Nokia did amazing job by creating brand awareness in return of the money it got every quarter from Microsoft. BUT Nokia cannot survive on its own because rather than giving Nokia money each quarter only to create buzz, Microsoft like a good businessman should buy the whole thing and give those peanuts to Nokia which is more than enough to stay relevant with HERE and Navigation solutions.

Remember, Nokia has licensed the patents and 4 years of HERE services, so Microsoft is still going to pay approximately similar amount relatively to "save" Nokia.

However, http://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...acquisition-post-comments-questions-here.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos