09-03-2013 07:48 AM
32 12
tools
    According to The Verge, the Nokia name can only be used for the feature phones. So I guess in the future it will be Microsoft Lumia. :/ http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/468...kia-smartphone
    09-03-2013 02:23 AM
    Yup. No more Nokia smartphones. Ever.
    09-03-2013 02:30 AM
    Yup. No more Nokia smartphones. Ever.
    My guess is that they'll still be Nokia phones under the Nokia name until the deal is complete which is around the same time as Windows Phone 8.1 will be arriving. So your first Microsoft phone and the end of Nokia should be around February/March.
    mgkeath and rockstarzzz like this.
    09-03-2013 02:37 AM
    What AlexanderJJJ said. We should see official end of Lumia line ups early 2014 aka WP 8.1 launch.
    09-03-2013 02:48 AM
    My guess is that they'll still be Nokia phones under the Nokia name until the deal is complete which is around the same time as Windows Phone 8.1 will be arriving. So your first Microsoft phone and the end of Nokia should be around February/March.
    Yeah I keep forgetting this deal won't be complete until next year, but what smartphone(s) are they gonna release by then? :/
    09-03-2013 03:14 AM
    I would guess the same. How this will affect those buyers who are loyal to the Nokia brand is anybody's guess. I think Microsoft has to be real careful in how they approach the transition and try and retain that loyalty as much as possible.
    afgzee and AlexanderJJJ like this.
    09-03-2013 03:15 AM
    This is just terrible. How did the shareholders and the board of directors even allow this travesty to occur? I hope this deal falls through or something happens that it doesn't happen.
    09-03-2013 03:18 AM
    Yeah I keep forgetting this deal won't be complete until next year, but what smartphone(s) are they gonna release by then? :/
    Supposedly the Nokia "Bandit" 6 inch phablet phone and a Nokia "Sirius" 10.1' tablet running Windows RT, maybe some mid-low range phones mixed in as well.

I wish they would keep the Nokia name! Microsoft Lumia doesn't sound as great as Nokia Lumia!

I would guess the same. How this will affect those buyers who are loyal to the Nokia brand is anybody's guess. I think Microsoft has to be real careful in how they approach the transition and try and retain that loyalty as much as possible.
    Agreed!

This is just terrible. How did the shareholders and the board of directors even allow this travesty to occur? I hope this deal falls through or something happens that it doesn't happen.
    I think Nokia could have survived on it's own but it would have taken much longer to get into a well enough position if they didn't have the help from Microsoft. The only thing that irritates me is that Microsoft won't keep the Nokia name for smartphones! :/
    ZAEENTECH and SanjitVignesh like this.
    09-03-2013 03:20 AM
    Is that the fandroid in you shivering as Nokia won't EVER run Android?
    Last edited by rockstarzzz; 09-03-2013 at 04:08 AM.
    a5cent and BIGPADDY like this.
    09-03-2013 03:33 AM
    Is that the fandroid in you shivering as you Nokia won't EVER run Android?
    Only a Microsoft fanboy will be pleased at this news. For the rest who actually have historically loved Nokia, and not just in the past 24 months, this is pretty sad news. Ever held the N93? Sorry, it probably wasn't even released where you live. So yeah, this is bad news.

Oh and FYI, I'm an iPhone owner and have been for a while.
    John20212 and rakeshrai like this.
    09-03-2013 03:37 AM
    Supposedly the Nokia "Bandit" 6 inch phablet phone and a Nokia "Sirius" 10.1' tablet running Windows RT, maybe some mid-low range phones mixed in as well.

I wish they would keep the Nokia name! Microsoft Lumia doesn't sound as great as Nokia Lumia!

Agreed!

I think Nokia could have survived on it's own but it would have taken much longer to get into a well enough position if they didn't have the help from Microsoft. The only thing that irritates me is that Microsoft won't keep the Nokia name for smartphones! :/
    I don't think that's an option in Microsoft's control. Nokia is still their own entity and plans to continue as a revamped company. They hardly would want to just give their brand recognition away to Microsoft.
    09-03-2013 03:37 AM
    Only a Microsoft fanboy will be pleased at this news. For the rest who actually have historically loved Nokia, and not just in the past 24 months, this is pretty sad news. Ever held the N93? Sorry, it probably wasn't even released where you live. So yeah, this is bad news.

I disagree. While the control of the devices division switches hands, that doesn't mean that all the things that made Nokia great, can't continue under Microsoft. Whether or not that will be the case, certainly remains to be seen, but time will tell the story.
    09-03-2013 03:42 AM

This is exactly my situation. I've been a fan of Nokia for several years and I'm quite upset by this news. I didn't mind the partnership in 2011 because I thought it would be the best choice for Nokia (I even defended it), now...I don't know. Sure they'll still make great smartphones but it'll be under Microsoft, not Nokia :(
    SanjitVignesh likes this.
    09-03-2013 03:43 AM

Agreed!

Nokia as a brand name on Lumia and WP is so so so much important right now. Just to drop it when WP is getting closer to mainstream is such a big branding mistakes. This is against all the textbooks of branding.

I've used Nokia for 32 years of my life. So yeah, probably more models than you've known. But if your burst out is only because of a sinking company it is irrelevant here. Nokia as a company still exists but won't make phones - the single product that it produced in bulk and yet didn't get positive profits.
    09-03-2013 03:44 AM
    I disagree. While the control of the devices division switches hands, that doesn't mean that all the things that made Nokia great, can't continue under Microsoft. Whether or not that will be the case, certainly remains to be seen, but time will tell the story.
    They may be great. But it's not the same thing if it's Microsoft branded and not Nokia. Nokia is huge in Asia, which itself is a huge continent.
    09-03-2013 03:48 AM
    This is exactly my situation. I've been a fan of Nokia for several years and I'm quite upset by this news. I didn't mind the partnership in 2011 because I thought it would be the best choice for Nokia (I even defended it), now...I don't know. Sure they'll still make great smartphones but it'll be under Microsoft, not Nokia :(
    Why should it matter, if they are using much of the same staff, resources and design and innovation that made Nokia stand out in the first place? I can understand having some doubt about whether or not they will continue those traditions, but it think building on the processes that Nokia has established, benefits Microsoft greatly. I'd hope that they realize this and that played a role in the acquisition. Until I see evidence to the contrary, I'll remain optimistic.
    a5cent likes this.
    09-03-2013 03:49 AM

been using Nokia as far back as the 3310, went away from them after the 5800 XpressMusic, came back to them in January, and I'm happy. I wanted Nokia to do well, and I reckon this will help them.
    09-03-2013 03:53 AM
    Why should it matter, if they are using much of the same staff, resources and design and innovation that made Nokia stand out in the first place? I can understand having some doubt about whether or not they will continue those traditions, but it think building on the processes that Nokia has established, benefits Microsoft greatly. I'd hope that they realize this and that played a role in the acquisition. Until I see evidence to the contrary, I'll remain optimistic.
    Yeah, that made Nokia stand out. Now Nokia is nothing more than NSN and HERE. This'll be just another one of Microsoft's divisions.
    09-03-2013 03:55 AM
    I've used Nokia for 32 years of my life. So yeah, probably more models than you've known. But if your burst out is only because of a sinking company it is irrelevant here. Nokia as a company still exists but won't make phones - the single product that it produced in bulk and yet didn't get positive profits.
    My burst is because I'll never see another Nokia branded smartphone again. It's a legitimate complain for anyone even remotely interested in Nokia and pretty much everyone out there share the same sentiments as me. No one cares about the network hardware and other gizmos Nokia might still continue to make, it was and has always been about their phones ever since they went into the phone business.
    And as for your jab about a Nokia Android phone. If there was ever a time for that, it would be now. Nokia has effectively washed its hands off Windows Phone and have gotten $7B dollars for it. For all you know they will restart in 2 years with Android as their OS.
    09-03-2013 03:56 AM

Agreed!
    09-03-2013 03:59 AM
    They may be great. But it's not the same thing if it's Microsoft branded and not Nokia. Nokia is huge in Asia, which itself is a huge continent.
    As I mentioned in another thread, I think MSFT has to be very careful about the transition. They must do all that they can to promote and educate the world, that while they'll be taking over, all the things that built a Nokia fan base, will continue to be the vision for the future. The Nokia loyalists must be retained as much as possible and it won't necessarily be an easy task, but it must be a task that MSFT puts a lot of effort and resources into; and, to a smaller degree, Nokia could help out by showing a great deal of confidence in Microsoft continuing on the path that they've set for them.
    09-03-2013 04:04 AM
    Guess I'll never get a Nokia Lumia. But that doesn't matter anyway since I'm on Sprint
    09-03-2013 04:10 AM
    My burst is because I'll never see another Nokia branded smartphone again. It's a legitimate complain for anyone even remotely interested in Nokia and pretty much everyone out there share the same sentiments as me. No one cares about the network hardware and other gizmos Nokia might still continue to make, it was and has always been about their phones ever since they went into the phone business.
    And as for your jab about a Nokia Android phone. If there was ever a time for that, it would be now. Nokia has effectively washed its hands off Windows Phone and have gotten $7B dollars for it. For all you know they will restart in 2 years with Android as their OS.
    Anyone with slightest knowledge of economics will say that cannot and will not happen. $7B was the much need cash for Nokia for not becoming another Blackberry which relied solely on its phone making and now is on verge of getting bust. That $7B will only be enough for Nokia to survive doing what it does best using its patents on mapping. Again with that it's facing a giant task with Google Maps expanding rapidly. To restart making phone hardware Nokia will need to re-establish and re-invest in everything. Even Microsoft with all it's might hasn't been able to start off making new hardware (eg Surface) right from scratch. It will be foolish for Nokia to return into making phones, that too Android phone where Samsung and HTC will suck them for every single pence they invest. So they are really lucky to have $7B for selling their hardware and services and licensing out patents to make sure they don't go bust. A return into hardware manufacturing (resource intensive) will make it go bust and that is the day when you should have an outburst and cry like a baby, not today. Today, Microsoft saved Nokia, again. Yes, we won't see a Nokia branded phone anymore, but I rather see Nokia survive in business than see them make a product that isn't making profit. They've not washed their hands off WP, they've washed hands off "phone making" - even Asha, the much hailed low-end queen in emerging markets.
    mgkeath likes this.
    09-03-2013 04:14 AM
    09-03-2013 04:18 AM
    They didn't. Shareholders will only vote on this on 19 November. Sincerely, I hope they reject it. I prefer to own a Nokia Lumia than a Microsoft Lumia... and let's face it, Microsoft tends to mess up everything it owns. Just look at what they did with their precious jewel, the XBox. It went from a jewel to a trashcan.
    09-03-2013 04:44 AM
32 12