So Stephen Elop once worked for Microsoft? Who knew?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There was a scene? I didn't know there was a "scene" with mobile back when I first used Blackberry and Windows Mobile and that wasn't until after my undergrad years. Moreover, at least in the US, most of the nation had no MOBILE when I started and FEW could even afford it.

I wouldn't say there was a mobile scene either. Most smartphone users in the US back then had BlackBerry, Palm or WinMo. I had Nokia devices, but I didn't know anyone else who had them; the majority of people I knew either never heard of Nokia or thought it was strictly a dumbphone brand.

_X_

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
There was a scene? I didn't know there was a "scene"
Hey listen here, the world is a stage and we are all actors.

... I first used Blackberry and Windows Mobile.... when I started and FEW could even afford it.
And you still did not know Elop worked at MS. If you've been using smartphone for so long you had to living under a rock to not have heard the news.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

And you still did not know Elop worked at MS. If you've been using smartphone for so long you had to living under a rock to not have heard the news.

I've known people who used Palm devices back in the day, but I couldn't name a single executive from Palm. I'm only familiar with some of the HP CEOs.

mauricio borgarello

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
If going the WP way was the right choice only time will tell, but what I could never understand was the "burning platform" memo, in which Elop basically killed any remaining symbian sale without having a suitable replacement for the operating system.
In that memo, Elop told the world not to buy anymore symbian devices, which accelerated Nokia's fall.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Get out. What did Elop have to do with smart phones at Microsoft that made news when he joined MS in 08?
Microsoft didn't build phones. Never have. The "smartphone" didn't show up until about 2001 running PalmOS, and Elop arrived at Microsoft until 2008 with a focus on a business model and Office, NOT phones, let alone smartphones playboy because Microsoft did not build them. There was no news about Elop and smartphones that you or anybody else read about at that or any other time.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you're saying IOS had little to no bearing on Nokia's decline in the mobile market prior to Stephan Elop's tenure at Nokia.

Actually, yes I know that Nokia was in decline prior to Elop 'the saviour' coming along. I also know that a lot of Nokia management left when he pushed to have WP OS as the main OS. The fact that he was an ex-MS employee and that there were other options gives a reek of him being a MS puppet or this being a self interest push. Keep in mind WP was and still is to some extent, an undesired OS. WP OS is way behind in terms of take up. Will this change anything? Who knows.

I know that Nokia was asleep at the wheel and they were living in their little bubble at a time when they needed to do things differently. Was WP the best option for them? People are saying yes because of this transaction. However the Nokia phone division is now going to disappear and probably in time Nokia the company will probably go with it. I don't see why people are crowing about this being great for Nokia, it isn't. Nokia isn't going to mean much to anyone soon, kind of like it is in the US at the moment. It will go back to being the small town name in Finland prior to it being the once great mobile giant it was.

Nokia phones will soon not exist. This is the reality. I don't see why people don't get that. This transaction isn't saving Nokia it's ending it.

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I thought everyone knew about Elops history. There were rumors after Nokia announced they would team with WP saying Elop was a mole for Microsoft to take over Nokia. Guess it wasnt a rumor but a planned strategy for both companies.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I thought everyone knew about Elops history. There were rumors after Nokia announced they would team with WP saying Elop was a mole for Microsoft to take over Nokia. Guess it wasnt a rumor but a planned strategy for both companies.

Wait, what does the rumor you're talking about, (of which there were probably hundreds of guesses at one time or another), have to do with what people know or knew about Elop's history?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Wait, what does the rumor you're talking about, (of which there were probably hundreds of guesses at one time or another), have to do with what people know or knew about Elop's history?

I think what's he's trying to say that if you were always a fan of Nokia phones you would have known his history. Most people who didn't know Nokia prior to WP probably had no clue who Elop was. If you search for 'Elop Trojan Horse' you'll find some history on it and tonnes of new articles about it.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Two words: Macromedia. Microsoft.

Specifically, him selling out Macromedia to Adobe, and he working for Microsoft at one point.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Nokia was already a sinking ship with Elop was given the reigns. Some at Nokia were upset Elop was the new CEO simply because A) he was not European and replaced Finland native Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo and B) was a Microsoft insider. It wasn't Elop that started the acquition talks with Ballmer, it was Nokia's Chairman. And in regards to Elop being a shoe-in for the next M$ CEO, don't be so sure. There are a few very qualified internal candidates that the M$ board is looking into highering as the next CEO, with Bill Gates being the key decision maker.

Here are some interesting reads:
Coffee Talk -- The Inside Story of Microsoft's Nokia Deal - Ina Fried - Mobile - AllThingsD
Ballmer Departure From Microsoft Was More Sudden Than Portrayed - Kara Swisher - News - AllThingsD

And of course, if you've never read the "Burning Platform" memo by newly-appointed Nokia CEO Stephen Elop (written in Q1, 2011), here it is:
Hello there,

There is a pertinent story about a man who was working on an oil platform in the North Sea. He woke up one night from a loud explosion, which suddenly set his entire oil platform on fire. In mere moments, he was surrounded by flames. Through the smoke and heat, he barely made his way out of the chaos to the platform's edge. When he looked down over the edge, all he could see were the dark, cold, foreboding Atlantic waters.

As the fire approached him, the man had mere seconds to react. He could stand on the platform, and inevitably be consumed by the burning flames. Or, he could plunge 30 meters in to the freezing waters. The man was standing upon a "burning platform," and he needed to make a choice.

He decided to jump. It was unexpected. In ordinary circumstances, the man would never consider plunging into icy waters. But these were not ordinary times - his platform was on fire. The man survived the fall and the waters. After he was rescued, he noted that a "burning platform" caused a radical change in his behaviour.

We too, are standing on a "burning platform," and we must decide how we are going to change our behaviour.

Over the past few months, I've shared with you what I've heard from our shareholders, operators, developers, suppliers and from you. Today, I'm going to share what I've learned and what I have come to believe.

I have learned that we are standing on a burning platform.

And, we have more than one explosion - we have multiple points of scorching heat that are fuelling a blazing fire around us.

For example, there is intense heat coming from our competitors, more rapidly than we ever expected. Apple disrupted the market by redefining the smartphone and attracting developers to a closed, but very powerful ecosystem.

In 2008, Apple's market share in the $300+ price range was 25 percent; by 2010 it escalated to 61 percent. They are enjoying a tremendous growth trajectory with a 78 percent earnings growth year over year in Q4 2010. Apple demonstrated that if designed well, consumers would buy a high-priced phone with a great experience and developers would build applications. They changed the game, and today, Apple owns the high-end range.

And then, there is Android. In about two years, Android created a platform that attracts application developers, service providers and hardware manufacturers. Android came in at the high-end, they are now winning the mid-range, and quickly they are going downstream to phones under ?100. Google has become a gravitational force, drawing much of the industry's innovation to its core.

Let's not forget about the low-end price range. In 2008, MediaTek supplied complete reference designs for phone chipsets, which enabled manufacturers in the Shenzhen region of China to produce phones at an unbelievable pace. By some accounts, this ecosystem now produces more than one third of the phones sold globally - taking share from us in emerging markets.

While competitors poured flames on our market share, what happened at Nokia? We fell behind, we missed big trends, and we lost time. At that time, we thought we were making the right decisions; but, with the benefit of hindsight, we now find ourselves years behind.

The first iPhone shipped in 2007, and we still don't have a product that is close to their experience. Android came on the scene just over 2 years ago, and this week they took our leadership position in smartphone volumes. Unbelievable.

We have some brilliant sources of innovation inside Nokia, but we are not bringing it to market fast enough. We thought MeeGo would be a platform for winning high-end smartphones. However, at this rate, by the end of 2011, we might have only one MeeGo product in the market.

At the midrange, we have Symbian. It has proven to be non-competitive in leading markets like North America. Additionally, Symbian is proving to be an increasingly difficult environment in which to develop to meet the continuously expanding consumer requirements, leading to slowness in product development and also creating a disadvantage when we seek to take advantage of new hardware platforms. As a result, if we continue like before, we will get further and further behind, while our competitors advance further and further ahead.

At the lower-end price range, Chinese OEMs are cranking out a device much faster than, as one Nokia employee said only partially in jest, "the time that it takes us to polish a PowerPoint presentation." They are fast, they are cheap, and they are challenging us.

And the truly perplexing aspect is that we're not even fighting with the right weapons. We are still too often trying to approach each price range on a device-to-device basis.

The battle of devices has now become a war of ecosystems, where ecosystems include not only the hardware and software of the device, but developers, applications, ecommerce, advertising, search, social applications, location-based services, unified communications and many other things. Our competitors aren't taking our market share with devices; they are taking our market share with an entire ecosystem. This means we're going to have to decide how we either build, catalyse or join an ecosystem.

This is one of the decisions we need to make. In the meantime, we've lost market share, we've lost mind share and we've lost time.

On Tuesday, Standard & Poor's informed that they will put our A long term and A-1 short term ratings on negative credit watch. This is a similar rating action to the one that Moody's took last week. Basically it means that during the next few weeks they will make an analysis of Nokia, and decide on a possible credit rating downgrade. Why are these credit agencies contemplating these changes? Because they are concerned about our competitiveness.

Consumer preference for Nokia declined worldwide. In the UK, our brand preference has slipped to 20 percent, which is 8 percent lower than last year. That means only 1 out of 5 people in the UK prefer Nokia to other brands. It's also down in the other markets, which are traditionally our strongholds: Russia, Germany, Indonesia, UAE, and on and on and on.

How did we get to this point? Why did we fall behind when the world around us evolved?

This is what I have been trying to understand. I believe at least some of it has been due to our attitude inside Nokia. We poured gasoline on our own burning platform. I believe we have lacked accountability and leadership to align and direct the company through these disruptive times. We had a series of misses. We haven't been delivering innovation fast enough. We're not collaborating internally.

Nokia, our platform is burning.

We are working on a path forward -- a path to rebuild our market leadership. When we share the new strategy on February 11, it will be a huge effort to transform our company. But, I believe that together, we can face the challenges ahead of us. Together, we can choose to define our future.

The burning platform, upon which the man found himself, caused the man to shift his behaviour, and take a bold and brave step into an uncertain future. He was able to tell his story. Now, we have a great opportunity to do the same.

Stephen.

krishna6233

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
well, the reason Elop chose Windows Phone was because he had contacts in Microsoft and he knew it would be better than trying to survive in something like symbian (eww, im sure i didnt love to fix a phone with a no space bug) and the dream of meego.

Business its not only about being Smart and talented, its also about the "friends" and influences you may have. of couse if Symbian had a future, or meego could compete 2 years ago, Elop wouldnt have chosen WP, but seeing everything was falling down, it was better to look for a partnership with Microsoft and then, focus in the hardware and not only in the software. or something like bringing developers since Im sure meego or symbian wouldnt have as many apps as WP has right now, people say some apps are missing, but it would be worst with symbian or meego.

people can call Elop whatever they want to. but the partnership saved Nokia, and at the same time gave marketshare to Windows Phone. so whatever people think, well, the truth its if you or anyone have a company, and your company lacks something a friend can help you with, wouldnt you accept it? wouldnt you try to survice with your friend instead of trying to survive alone with the same stuff you are already failing with?
Im sure you and anyone would choose your friend company to help you survive. and thats what Elop tried to do. and it worked!
BUT of course in the end the board accepted, and apparently they liked the deal about Microsoft buying part of Nokia. so Elop could have made all the plan (you know conspiracy theories), he could have even said "hey lets go and sell phones on the moon" but nothing would have mattered if the board didnt accept. so its not like Elop decided everything anyway.

hahaa !!! Better say NOKIA saved WP :p

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I think what's he's trying to say that if you were always a fan of Nokia phones you would have known his history. Most people who didn't know Nokia prior to WP probably had no clue who Elop was. If you search for 'Elop Trojan Horse' you'll find some history on it and tonnes of new articles about it.

I appreciate your assistance for him but if that is what he meant, then I'll accept we were simply talking past each other. My comment is about Elop at Microsoft and his role there. Not when Elop ran a chicken store or when Nokia's BOD chose Elop as its standard bearer. They had enough confidence to choose him in spite of the 'rumors". To me squashes all else.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett