09-09-2013 02:27 PM
33 12
tools
    This is not related to Nokia Deal, but it seems Microsoft has an eye on Blackberry after Nokia. This has been reported by Bloomberg

Microsoft Raced to $7.2 Billion Deal With Soul-Searching Nokia - Bloomberg

Microsoft reportedly rushed Nokia deal, keeping an eye on potential BlackBerry talks | The Verge

Bloomberg says its unnamed sources claim MS is "still keeping an eye on" BlackBerry, even after Nokia deal: : maryjofoley

If this thread seems to point to Nokia please move this. I mean come on MS what next, HTC :D
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-03-2013 04:48 PM
    Well. If MS bought up BlackBerry as well, there'd be no denying their third place position in mobile.
    tgp, snowmutt, menaknow and 1 others like this.
    09-03-2013 05:00 PM
    Well. If MS bought up BlackBerry as well, there'd be no denying their third place position in mobile.
    and also no more profit for MSFT, they will then own 2 company's on life support..what are they gonna do with blackberry what they can't do with Nokia? Letting BB make wp8 phones seems useless, so the only thing left is there broad services in mobile market.

I do not think MSFT will be stupid enough to buy BB
    09-03-2013 05:04 PM
    they will then own 2 company's on life support..
    Do what? You think Microsoft is on life support? Sorry, but you're way off there.
    09-03-2013 05:08 PM
    and also no more profit for MSFT, they will then own 2 company's on life support..what are they gonna do with blackberry what they can't do with Nokia? Letting BB make wp8 phones seems useless, so the only thing left is there broad services in mobile market.

I do not think MSFT will be stupid enough to buy BB
    Maybe they want BB patents too. apparently BB stock rose a bit after this news haha .. although now I see it has subsided

https://www.google.com/finance?cid=663276
    Reflexx and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-03-2013 05:11 PM
    what are they gonna do with blackberry what they can't do with Nokia?
    Well.

BB has a great enterprise platform which could be integrated into ActiveSync (or vice-versa). BBM functionality could be built into Skype. And...

...they could cherry-pick what they want, scrap (or sell off) the rest, and make sure that BB never encroaches on third place again. :)
    09-03-2013 05:17 PM
    Now this is good news...if they do acquire BB as well...i truly believe Nokia could lead the world smartphone market again...there are some functions about BB that Nokia and WP OS could seriously use...

Sent from my L920
    09-03-2013 05:20 PM
    Well.

BB has a great enterprise platform which could be integrated into ActiveSync (or vice-versa). BBM functionality could be built into Skype. And...

...they could cherry-pick what they want, scrap (or sell off) the rest, and make sure that BB never encroaches on third place again. :)
    too much to comprehend. BB Skype MSFT Nokia Enterprise ... (I see a meme in the making)

Microsoft would be the third competitor for sure, but I think BBRY wouldn't have had that chance anyway going by the current reports.
    09-03-2013 05:24 PM
    Ms better look elsewhere. Stop while your ahead. Bb acquisition would not b beneficial. Acquiring the patents would.
    09-03-2013 05:33 PM
    A ton of people still love the keyboard. A Bold running Windows Phone 8? Count me in! Blackberry would be very popular if it had the apps to support it, Windows Phone 8 has that support. Windows Phone on BB hardware, win win.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-03-2013 06:31 PM
    BBRY is only worth its patents now. The phones have failed, BB10 has failed, BBM has been eclipsed by like a billion other messaging systems. Let's look at it this way, Nokia has handsets that are selling and MSFT paid only 7.2 bill for them and that INCLUDES licensing the patents. BBRY isn't worth much. And the ***** who said MSFT would be tight to buy BBRY after plunking down 7.2bill for NOK. That only drops down 63 bill of their offshore cash horde....and yes in this case Canada is offshore for this purpose. They cant repatriate that money to the US without paying huge taxes. Investors should be BEGGING them to make foreign buys.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-03-2013 06:46 PM
    I think that BBM would be useful for Microsoft. Think about it, integrating BBM into WP, etc. Sure, BBM has been surpassed (due to BBM being BlackBerry exclusive atm) but like Nokia, at least in the UK, BBM has brand recognition. If they could get BBM on their iPhone etc, they would. Microsoft can then leverage that and add it in to WP and say "Well yeah, you can also get BBM on a WP, alongside..."
    09-03-2013 08:51 PM
    I think that BBM would be useful for Microsoft. Think about it, integrating BBM into WP, etc. Sure, BBM has been surpassed (due to BBM being BlackBerry exclusive atm) but like Nokia, at least in the UK, BBM has brand recognition. If they could get BBM on their iPhone etc, they would. Microsoft can then leverage that and add it in to WP and say "Well yeah, you can also get BBM on a WP, alongside..."

oh yeah very useful. Then MS will ditch skype for BBM integration

Sent from my RM-821_apac_indonesia_311 using Tapatalk
    09-03-2013 09:10 PM
    Microsoft has been spending a ton of money lately. Ballsy seeing that nothing is doing as well as they projected in recent history, I don't know where all this money is coming from?
    09-03-2013 09:15 PM
    Microsoft is going to form Voltron.

Each Lion by itself is tough, but isn't going to beat the Ro-Beast.

But when they combine... Voltron!
    09-03-2013 11:48 PM
    Do what? You think Microsoft is on life support? Sorry, but you're way off there.
    No I said MSFT will then have Nokia and BB and these are on life support in a sense
    09-04-2013 01:31 AM
    Microsoft has been spending a ton of money lately. Ballsy seeing that nothing is doing as well as they projected in recent history, I don't know where all this money is coming from?
    Maybe 27 billion of the profit they made this financial year?
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-04-2013 01:33 AM
    Maybe 27 billion of the profit they made this financial year?
    See I didn't know the numbers so thinks for that! But still, they spent a ridiculous amount f money to get prepared for this year with the release of Surface, Windows 8, and Xbox One!
    09-04-2013 09:43 AM
    See I didn't know the numbers so thinks for that! But still, they spent a ridiculous amount f money to get prepared for this year with the release of Surface, Windows 8, and Xbox One!
    That's a different budget

The Nokia deal was from money generated overseas. If they were to repatriate that money by bringing it to the US, they'd pay an additional US tax on it. So it makes sense to just invest it overseas.
    09-04-2013 10:10 AM
    Microsoft is going to form Voltron.

Each Lion by itself is tough, but isn't going to beat the Ro-Beast.

But when they combine... Voltron!
    *standing ovation*
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-04-2013 12:11 PM
    Let's talk war stragety here.....

The bridge you are fighting over may not seem that important to you, but it is if it keeps it out of the hands of your enemy.

If MS buys BlackBerry and it's assets, Google and Apple cannot. Neither can another company looking to squeeze MS from other directions.
    WinFan1 and john_v like this.
    09-05-2013 09:51 AM
    If Nokia and BlackBerry reproduced and Windows Phone sat on the offspring, by god we could be witnessing the second coming of Christ!
    09-05-2013 10:55 AM
    oh yeah very useful. Then MS will ditch skype for BBM integration

Sent from my RM-821_apac_indonesia_311 using Tapatalk
    Skype will still be the cross platform job, but BBM (perhaps Microsoft Messenger? Integrate it into the Xbox One and Windows 8 too, similar to iMessage and FaceTime for iOS and Mac OS) will be the Microsoft exclusive one. That's what I meant. Both integrated.
    09-05-2013 11:00 AM
    Let's talk war stragety here.....

The bridge you are fighting over may not seem that important to you, but it is if it keeps it out of the hands of your enemy.

If MS buys BlackBerry and it's assets, Google and Apple cannot. Neither can another company looking to squeeze MS from other directions.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. There are pluses and minuses to a BBRY purchase, but I'd rather see MS than apple. Can you imagine all of BBRY's patents in apples hands?
    09-05-2013 12:53 PM
    I would love for WP to become the defacto "serious business phone". I have no use for insta-talking cat-hipster-gamerz-apps on my phone. If they bought BB, that would be another step in that direction wouldn't it? Office on WP is one of the main reasons I'm buying a Lumia. Nokia apps is another (HERE maps, transit, express).
    john_v likes this.
    09-05-2013 01:17 PM
33 12