Anyone else embarrassed by Microsoft's new "Fly on the wall at Cupertino" adverts?

maxnicks

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Feast your eyes on the "Fly on the Wall at Cupertino" series:
Reinvented around you. - YouTube

Oh wow. Wait - is that... Steve Jobs!? Not cool, Microsoft. At all.

I was all fired up to switch back to Microsoft from Apple, but I'm not sure I want to be associated with this kind of bad taste; way bad timing!

Yeah, that's cool. If'n that's you're deciding factor then its probably for the best of every body that you stick with your Apples. But hey, thanks for your post! Your opinion is always valued! By the buy, I sput some spelling and grammar errors in my msg so you'd have some more reasons to troll...

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that's cool. If'n that's you're deciding factor then its probably for the best of every body that you stick with your Apples. But hey, thanks for your post! Your opinion is always valued! By the buy, I sput some spelling and grammar errors in my msg so you'd have some more reasons to troll...
What? I don't even...

I suspect spelling and grammar should be the least of my concerns when it comes to you, buddy.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

We don't do that here, this from our forum rules:

[INFO]Trolling - Do not post inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages to provoke users into responding in a negative way. Calling another member a troll is also a form of trolling.
[/INFO]

Please follow the forum rules.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Not bad, had some funny parts. Even if that was supposed to be Steve who the hell cares. Okay he died, nobody make fun of anyone dead. Now witness the end of comedy. It wasn't even about him anyway, that character literally just sat there silent. People work themselves up over the dumbest things. He was a pretty big jerkbag in many ways anyway, get over it. What MS should have done is released something that was just filled with nonstop positive adjectives relentlessly spraying everywhere. I watched the keynote and wow it was like they were trying to convince themselves they were handling a pot of gold instead of a boring product. Hey that reminds me of an old video I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx7v815bYUw

MS, do that next time.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
tumblr_lkf1tbEBpY1qd5r6yo1_500.jpg

Archer is gonna be pissed.

Me, on the other hand is still planning to get the 1020.

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I just think that this ad is just really stupid. And if people like that worked there, they would be fired instantly. And the guy who created iOS 7 is ugly, and I hate him, and he must be fired for incompetence

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You know what really burns me up? Is that the day before Microsoft revealed news about "Cortana", their upcoming digital AI assistant. Really cool stuff. Can help re-do MS' image with the public. Then the thuggish marketing arm led by Mark Penn undoes all that great buzz with this tasteless crap. Why Mark Penn wasn't fired immediately is beyond me.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not really. their marketing choices have no effect on me. I thought it was humorous but a little long winded,

You're kind of missing the point. Most people will never have seen these "ads", but they will have heard the news buzz - "Oh did you hear about the tasteless MS ads targeting an ill Steve Jobs? Oh yeah, I really hate MS now. I'll never buy another product from them ever again"....

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Just to play devils advocate to those who don't think its that big of a deal, I doubt that would be the response if Apple or Google ran similar ads against MS.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Why did they mock the lets make it plastic and call it polycarbonate, to fool people, isn't that what Nokia did? weird ads really.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Why did they mock the lets make it plastic and call it polycarbonate, to fool people, isn't that what Nokia did? weird ads really.

It shows a complete lack of taste and ignorance about one's own product line. But Mark Penn is a thug and this is what he does.

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Just to play devils advocate to those who don't think its that big of a deal, I doubt that would be the response if Apple or Google ran similar ads against MS.

Well... at least for my part, you're completely wrong. I found the Apple vs. PC ads quite entertaining, although mostly from the blasphemous points Apple made in its case against PC. There's humor to be found in almost everything in life. I simply choose not to get bogged down in all the negativity people find with everything.

It shows a complete lack of taste and ignorance about one's own product line. But Mark Penn is a thug and this is what he does.

*Sigh* For the last time, you're all missing the point. The comedy of the videos (they're certainly not ads, at least not finished ones) was in poking fun at Apple's design decisions. Nokia made their entire line mostly out of polycarbonate, from low-end to high-end. Their attitude is that polycarbonate is a perfectly acceptable building material if used properly. I would agree, I'd say my 928 has the best build-quality feel out of all the phones I've owned.

Apple, on the other hand, try to differentiate themselves by using "premium" materials to appeal to their elitist following. They then go and make a "cheap" version of their phone using polycarbonate, so as to say it is a sub-par building material reserved for their "budget" devices. They also break away from their BMW-esque color palette at a time when Nokia seemed to be popularizing brightly colored phones, but again reserve this for their "budget" devices (and water them down). On the other hand, their "premium" device gets gold. Because in your face poor people. I found it hilarious that, in the video, the man was using fancy color names while the lady was translating them into what they really were. Great jab at Apple's tendency to try to fancify everything. It's a word, don't worry about it :p

This is all comedy-worthy material that's being provided by Apple themselves. Microsoft's joke was in no way distasteful. It certainly was not polished or snippy like the recent Nokia ads, but that doesn't make it tasteless.

nokialove

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, the two execs are supposed to be Tim Cook and Johnny Ive. Ive is the bald guy.

That said, those were awful. Painfully unfunny. I'm actually saddened someone could find them clever.

The Siri "attack" ads are legitimately kind of funny. Not this.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
These videos violate the cardinal rules of advertising:

#1 - they mention the competition by name
#2 - they don't give an inspirational reason to buy YOUR product

never mind the kerfuffle over whether that's an ill Steve Jobs, MS just doesn't know how to advertise. Look at the latest Windows vs iPad ads. Why is Microsoft giving free advertising for Apple?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss