10-15-2013 09:20 AM
67 123
tools
    Just to play devils advocate to those who don't think its that big of a deal, I doubt that would be the response if Apple or Google ran similar ads against MS.
    evilrob likes this.
    09-15-2013 02:16 PM
    I think all the bashing adds are embarrassing. Show off features and use-cases.
    evilrob likes this.
    09-15-2013 02:18 PM
    Why did they mock the lets make it plastic and call it polycarbonate, to fool people, isn't that what Nokia did? weird ads really.
    evilrob likes this.
    09-15-2013 02:24 PM
    Why did they mock the lets make it plastic and call it polycarbonate, to fool people, isn't that what Nokia did? weird ads really.
    It shows a complete lack of taste and ignorance about one's own product line. But Mark Penn is a thug and this is what he does.
    evilrob likes this.
    09-15-2013 02:30 PM
    Here is the original video uploaded again
    09-15-2013 02:31 PM
    Here it is
    09-15-2013 02:31 PM
    Just to play devils advocate to those who don't think its that big of a deal, I doubt that would be the response if Apple or Google ran similar ads against MS.
    Well... at least for my part, you're completely wrong. I found the Apple vs. PC ads quite entertaining, although mostly from the blasphemous points Apple made in its case against PC. There's humor to be found in almost everything in life. I simply choose not to get bogged down in all the negativity people find with everything.

It shows a complete lack of taste and ignorance about one's own product line. But Mark Penn is a thug and this is what he does.
    *Sigh* For the last time, you're all missing the point. The comedy of the videos (they're certainly not ads, at least not finished ones) was in poking fun at Apple's design decisions. Nokia made their entire line mostly out of polycarbonate, from low-end to high-end. Their attitude is that polycarbonate is a perfectly acceptable building material if used properly. I would agree, I'd say my 928 has the best build-quality feel out of all the phones I've owned.

Apple, on the other hand, try to differentiate themselves by using "premium" materials to appeal to their elitist following. They then go and make a "cheap" version of their phone using polycarbonate, so as to say it is a sub-par building material reserved for their "budget" devices. They also break away from their BMW-esque color palette at a time when Nokia seemed to be popularizing brightly colored phones, but again reserve this for their "budget" devices (and water them down). On the other hand, their "premium" device gets gold. Because in your face poor people. I found it hilarious that, in the video, the man was using fancy color names while the lady was translating them into what they really were. Great jab at Apple's tendency to try to fancify everything. It's a word, don't worry about it :P

This is all comedy-worthy material that's being provided by Apple themselves. Microsoft's joke was in no way distasteful. It certainly was not polished or snippy like the recent Nokia ads, but that doesn't make it tasteless.
    09-15-2013 02:48 PM
    For what it's worth, the two execs are supposed to be Tim Cook and Johnny Ive. Ive is the bald guy.

That said, those were awful. Painfully unfunny. I'm actually saddened someone could find them clever.

The Siri "attack" ads are legitimately kind of funny. Not this.
    09-15-2013 09:39 PM
    These videos violate the cardinal rules of advertising:

#1 - they mention the competition by name
    #2 - they don't give an inspirational reason to buy YOUR product

never mind the kerfuffle over whether that's an ill Steve Jobs, MS just doesn't know how to advertise. Look at the latest Windows vs iPad ads. Why is Microsoft giving free advertising for Apple?
    09-15-2013 09:45 PM
    I don't think they were meant as adverts. I'm not embarrassed..
    rdubmu likes this.
    09-15-2013 09:49 PM
    never mind the kerfuffle over whether that's an ill Steve Jobs, MS just doesn't know how to advertise. Look at the latest Windows vs iPad ads. Why is Microsoft giving free advertising for Apple?
    By showing how over priced and under-featured the iPad is? Yeah, that's some great Apple advertising from Microsoft.

I guess it is what it is... people just love to hate.
    09-15-2013 09:52 PM
    I guess it is what it is... people just love to hate.
    I don't get some of the posters we have on this board. They hang about here and claim to use MS products but they will defend Apple and/or Google any chance they get while hardly ever saying anything positive about MS or WP.
    09-15-2013 11:17 PM
    well, yes. Why wouldn't I?
    I don't believe when manufacturers say their next device will be full of innovation or the OS update will be out in next 6 months (and they don't do anything for a year except cleaning their noses :p)
    09-15-2013 11:20 PM
    Look at the latest Windows vs iPad ads. Why is Microsoft giving free advertising for Apple?
    Because they are exposing iPads as being the toys that they are.
    09-15-2013 11:22 PM
    As a side note, any smartphone/tablet can be a toy depending on how you really use it. Doing budgets, bills, word processing, accessing databases, emailing, researching useful information: productive. Facebooking, texting your buddies, games, Netflix and Youtube, chatting up web forums: fun or entertainment (which is what purpose anything called a toy serves.) When defining an entire breed of technology or its users, you might consider the real definition of what is and isn't a "toy" for somebody.

As for the fly on the wall ad, I thought it was kind of funny (humor, not a firm, serious and concrete advertising campaign) but then again, I also like humor a la Stephen Colbert, Conan, and possibly Howard Stern.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    09-17-2013 02:15 PM
    I think all the bashing adds are embarrassing. Show off features and use-cases.
    oh, i am so embarrassed I can't use my phone outside. Oh gosh, maybe I'll draw a big apple on the back of my 928 and I can fool people that way. Oh golly. I need to get some therapy. But then again, I'm just another fracking [dipstick].
    10-14-2013 09:09 PM
    oh, i am so embarrassed I can't use my phone outside. Oh gosh, maybe I'll draw a big apple on the back of my 928 and I can fool people that way. Oh golly. I need to get some therapy. But then again, I'm just another fracking [dipstick].
    You said it, not me...
    10-15-2013 09:20 AM
67 123