You cannot be serious.....Really Tim Cook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Actually, He's Right. And I'm, not an apple ****** for saying this either. With regards to Nokia, they had symbian for too long and wouldn't have even had to consider wp if they got their act together sooner and came out with a competitive OS to iOS, but they didn't. They let iOS slowly eat away at their market share year after year and act like nothing was going to happen and then they had to bring in Elop to salvage what left they had of the company and change platforms for them to become profitable again. Same thing happened to BB, they kept the same stale OS for years and only came out with BBOS10 after it was too late, IMHO.

Another thing, MS is moving towards the apple business model, and it makes sense: It worked brilliantly for apple, why won't it work for MS? The problem android has is that you have this disconnect between the hardware and software, same problem with traditional PCs. The biggest issue (I believe) that plague PCs is driver compatibility. Usually when you have problems, its some kind of graphics driver, or chipset driver not working correctly. This is why macs work very well, its much easier to write 10 drivers for 10 different standard pcs(macs) than to write drivers for millions of different types of pcs on the market. MS knows this, why else were they so strict on the WP hardware guidelines, like making sure that all WP hardware had to use only qualcomm processors, for example. The surface is another example, I believe that its the tablet that OEMs failed to make. The surface pro and RT are fantastic devices for being first gen. They have some problems, but look at the pro, for example, its probably the smallest computer on the market running a full intel core i5 in it and even had to have a custom cooling solution engineered specially for that product. The surface pro could have had all sorts of overheating issues, driver problems, digitizer problems, wireless problems, but it didn't. Sure the battery life isn't great, but that, to me, seems to be the only glaring flaw with it which I'm sure they will fix on the second gen anyways. Point is, MS is turning into a devices and services company, like apple, and I think their first-party hardware is much better than OEM hardware at the moment, maybe save for some of the lenovo thinkpads or other business grade computers.

The other thing MS is doing is services, as stated above. Bing, Xbox music, xbox live, office, skydrive, I could go on and on, but thats where the money is. Sure, with apple, they do make great margins on their products, but itunes is really their cash cow and the know it, they make a huge profit on all of the apps and songs sold through their store. MS is doing the same thing because thats where the money is. So yes, Tim cook did take a nice shot MS, but I think he's right, MS is turning themselves into an apple-esque business model, maybe not quite as locked down as apple, but very close and I think its good for them, this is where the technology industry is heading in the future. Google and amazon also do this too.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Tim Cook showing off that Apple smugness again by saying how Apple isn't going to enter the "junk market" in terms of low priced phones.

john_v

Oct 15, 2006
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com
Apple/Cook taking pot shots at their competitors isn't surprising. Microsoft does it all the time. But keep in mind that Microsoft's antitrust lawsuit ended just a little over two years ago. After 8 years they no longer have any Government oversight preventing them from integrating their many products and services. Apple had a head start but let's not underestimate the ramifications of the antitrust lawsuit. It kept Microsoft shackled for a long time. Now Microsoft is innovating at a faster pace than I've ever seen. Windows 8, RT, Xbox One, WP, Office 365, Skype, IE, cloud services and let's not forget the glue, Bing. You know, that thing Apple integrated into Siri. I think combining their products and services is what MS always wanted to do and now they finally can.

All good points, but I especially like this:

Cook is so worried about people copying their business model.
How about you start copying other people's pricing model?

I find it slightly humorous that when the 5c preorders didn't meet expectation, all of the sudden it was, "well we never set out to make a 'budget' phone...we're too good for that"

Asked several aquaintances today (surrounded by ios users) how they like the update; really mixed reactions. Some hate it, some like it. Didn't have anyone who was fawning over it though. One person said, well I really like this new feature" and proceeded to show me his multitasking screen. I pulled out my 920 and held the back arrow down and said, "Oh, you can do that now?" He didn't take it well. :)

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What did Tim Cook say that was inaccurate or a lie? Not only he tells the truth but he radiates arrogance like his mentor Jobs.

arielwp

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
"u see son, this is what happens when your company isnt creative anymore. hey, take that lumia with you and help me cut some wood here"

pratik ghag

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's because their apple stuff works better for them? I want to switch to Microsoft so badly but I can't yet because some of the functionality just isn't there. Why can't I rate a song in Xbox music? Why is it so hard to email a PDF?

ill be first in line when they fix these small issues.

Actually it is very simple to mail a PDF. You just have to upload it skydrive and share it via email.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Lol, I'm like Tim, do really know what is innovation except adding 10% to the size?
And as for "Nokia is dead", he needs to apply a facewash, wash his face with tap water and see at the sales chart, compare it with Iphone and then buy a new dictionary which has the correct meaning of innovation and not,

Innovation
inno-va-tion
Adding a few extra centimeters to an existing thing and thinking it'll fool everyone.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Apple's last few iPads and iPhones haven't been selling because of innovation. They've been selling because of the Apple fans that will buy anything Apple releases.

So true. The iPhone 5S isn't much of a step up from the iPhone 4S imo. A much smaller step up from say, the Nokia Lumia 800 and the 1020.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, Apple wasn't that innovative. They took previous ideas and proof-of-concept products and just made them better. The other thing they did great is market their products as sexy and ?you need this and here?s why.? Microsoft are complete bafoons with marketing their products.

There?s an internet picture out there somewhere of all products and features that Apple supposedly invented, but yet shown to be just improved copies of other devices (including items such as the tablet, swipe-to-unlock, and notification center).

?We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas.?
- Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs: Good artists copy great artists steal - YouTube

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
its-not-stealing-its-innovation-apple.jpg

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Lol, I'm like Tim, do really know what is innovation except adding 10% to the size?
And as for "Nokia is dead", he needs to apply a facewash, wash his face with tap water and see at the sales chart, compare it with Iphone and then buy a new dictionary which has the correct meaning of innovation and not,

Innovation
inno-va-tion
Adding a few extra centimeters to an existing thing and thinking it'll fool everyone.

Heh - So the "Fly on the Wall" video isn't really that far off?! Cut too close to the truth perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros