You cannot be serious.....Really Tim Cook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
What evidence do you have that they know this but are not ready to admit it?

At first I read your username as 'annoy_mouse', nvm here's the sales chart, as opposed to the cumulative sales chart.

The innovation they do, is another big story.

LB_7986.jpg

getimage.dll

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Genuine question (I'm not here to defend Apple) - does this show shrinking? It shows that demand for iPhones is quite cyclical since the iPhone 4S launch. It might show that growth is slowing, but that's not the same as shrinking, and we should also consider the overall growth and size of the market.
I assume you're referring to the sales, not the share price? If you're referring the share price, then you're clearly right. Apple's market value has shrunk over the last year.

Now, back to my question. You say they know it - well, I guess we can assume Apple know their own sales figures. What do you mean by "they are not ready to admit that"? When you say "they", are you referring to Apple? Do you mean they are publishing false sales figures?

Last edited:

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Genuine question (I'm not here to defend Apple) - does this show shrinking? It shows that demand for iPhones is quite cyclical since the iPhone 4S launch. It might show that growth is slowing, but that's not the same as shrinking, and we should also consider the overall growth and size of the market.
I assume you're referring to the sales, not the share price? If you're referring the share price, then you're clearly right. Apple's market value has shrunk over the last year.

Now, back to my question. You say they know it - well, I guess we can assume Apple know their own sales figures. What do you mean by "they are not ready to admit that"? When you say "they", are you referring to Apple? Do you mean they are publishing false sales figures?

Sigh,
If you look at the chart I posted above, the actual trend is like a bunch of mountains, up and down.
But what Apple wants to show it as is something different, a single line going upwards rather than the actual thing.
As for 'share price/value has contracted', I really feel that the company is 'over'valued way too much. Also note that with money in the pocket anyone can manipulate the stock prices, its not that hard. But the fact is, lack of innovation is killing them, Ifans will fight over this statement, I don't give a 4 letter 'f' word about it.
Apple may not be publishing false figures, but they are not publishing the true picture. If you know what I mean, showing only the bright side and sweeping the dark side under the mat.
Let me give you an actual example,
GM Makes cars, lets say they sold 1,000 cars in 2010
1,100 in 2011
800 in 2012
750 in 2013
If they were to make a cumulative chart, it would be
Sales in 2010 - 1,000 Cars
Sales in 2011 - 1,000 + 1,100 = 2,100 Cars
Sales in 2012 - 2,100 + 800 = 2,900 Cars
Sales in 2013 - 2,900 + 750 = 3,650 Cars
They may have a nice chart going upwards, but honestly, they are losing a lot of the what you call 4 letter 's' word.
They may have captured mountains worth of consumers, but with the kind of pricing they have on 5S and 5C, developing markets will be a hard battle ;), nobody spends $1000 on a phone when your monthly pay is $1000-1500 and you need to take care of bills and stuff, unless you plan to eat your phone or starve.

Because Tim Cook touches his Lumia at night.
NSA, he hates them and with that Fingerprint sensor they are on his back, all the time.
Why does Tim Cook touch his Lumia at night?
Because Tim has an annoying pet that loves Tim when he is photographed.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

Why 'sigh'?

If you look at the chart I posted above, the actual trend is like a bunch of mountains, up and down.
But what Apple wants to show it as is something different, a single line going upwards rather than the actual thing.

Why do you say that Apple want to present it as a single line going upwards? Please provide some evidence for that statement.
I can believe that Apple might prefer a single line going upwards, in the same way that Microsoft would like to have more than 5% market share in mobile. However, I don't see evidence that Apple are trying to present the figures as something they are not.

As for 'share price/value has contracted', I really feel that the company is 'over'valued way too much.

I also won't be buying Apple shares.

Also note that with money in the pocket anyone can manipulate the stock prices, its not that hard.

Are you accusing someone of manipulating stock prices? Who? Why are they doing this?
This is a serious allegation, and potentially a criminal matter, so please be clear and precise in your answer.

But the fact is, lack of innovation is killing them, Ifans will fight over this statement, I don't give a 4 letter 'f' word about it.

I'm not that impressed with the iPhone 5S either but I think it's a big strong to say they are dying. And the numbers don't seem to bear this out either (see below).
Also, please refrain from swearing. It makes you look like a moron, which I'm sure is not the case.

Apple may not be publishing false figures, but they are not publishing the true picture. If you know what I mean, showing only the bright side and sweeping the dark side under the mat.
Let me give you an actual example,
GM Makes cars, lets say they sold 1,000 cars in 2010
1,100 in 2011
800 in 2012
750 in 2013
If they were to make a cumulative chart, it would be
Sales in 2010 - 1,000 Cars
Sales in 2011 - 1,000 + 1,100 = 2,100 Cars
Sales in 2012 - 2,100 + 800 = 2,900 Cars
Sales in 2013 - 2,900 + 750 = 3,650 Cars
They may have a nice chart going upwards, but honestly, they are losing a lot of the what you call 4 letter 's' word.

I'm not a fan of Apple, but I do like discussions on Internet forums to be based on facts. So let's examine this section in detail.
1. Where do these numbers for GM sales come from? Did you make them up? I assume you did. Therefore I think we can disregard them.
2. Do you have sales numbers for Apple? I assume you do because otherwise you wouldn't be making such statements. Let's look at those. The graphs above don't clearly show to me that Apple's sales are falling if we average over a few quarters (which I think we need to do, as their sales are so cyclical). We need to see the actual numbers.
3. You say Apple are not publishing the true picture. Please can you point to some document, website, etc from Apple to back up this claim, and explain how it doesn't provide a true picture?

In your imaginary example, the cumulative sales chart would show a rise over time, but with the rate of growth falling over time. The annual sales chart would show falls in sales. You hint that you are really interested in market share. In a growing market, a company's sales might rise while their market share falls, if their sales are growing more slowly than the overall market. I believe this is the case for Apple. Is this what you mean - I.e. That Apple's sales are growing, but their market share is shrinking?

They may have captured mountains worth of consumers, but with the kind of pricing they have on 5S and 5C, developing markets will be a hard battle ;), nobody spends $1000 on a phone when your monthly pay is $1000-1500 and you need to take care of bills and stuff, unless you plan to eat your phone or starve.

So you don't fancy Apple's chances in the developing world? Neither do I.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Why 'sigh'?

Because I take a deep breathe when I have to type something long

Why do you say that Apple want to present it as a single line going upwards? Please provide some evidence for that statement.
I can believe that Apple might prefer a single line going upwards, in the same way that Microsoft would like to have more than 5% market share in mobile. However, I don't see evidence that Apple are trying to present the figures as something they are not.

I have already posted an image above.

I also won't be buying Apple shares.

Sigh, okay

Are you accusing someone of manipulating stock prices? Who? Why are they doing this?
This is a serious allegation, and potentially a criminal matter, so please be clear and precise in your answer.

I just said that, if you, or me or anyone has money in his/her pocket, you can do crazy stuff on wall street, just need some brains to swing the share prices

I'm not that impressed with the iPhone 5S either but I think it's a big strong to say they are dying. And the numbers don't seem to bear this out either (see below).
Also, please refrain from swearing. It makes you look like a moron, which I'm sure is not the case.

I never say Apple is dying, their innovation skills are dying, same design same stuff, every year.

I'm not a fan of Apple, but I do like discussions on Internet forums to be based on facts. So let's examine this section in detail.
1. Where do these numbers for GM sales come from? Did you make them up? I assume you did. Therefore I think we can disregard them.
2. Do you have sales numbers for Apple? I assume you do because otherwise you wouldn't be making such statements. Let's look at those. The graphs above don't clearly show to me that Apple's sales are falling if we average over a few quarters (which I think we need to do, as their sales are so cyclical). We need to see the actual numbers.
3. You say Apple are not publishing the true picture. Please can you point to some document, website, etc from Apple to back up this claim, and explain how it doesn't provide a true picture?

In your imaginary example, the cumulative sales chart would show a rise over time, but with the rate of growth falling over time. The annual sales chart would show falls in sales. You hint that you are really interested in market share. In a growing market, a company's sales might rise while their market share falls, if their sales are growing more slowly than the overall market. I believe this is the case for Apple. Is this what you mean - I.e. That Apple's sales are growing, but their market share is shrinking?

GM Makes cars, lets say they sold
----
I am not sure if you understand what I said,
----
Please read the colored part a few times, it'll make things easy
I am not interested in anything apple, it simply doesn't excite me.
A few links you may want to read,
Apple takes 14% margin hit to keep iPhone prices steady in India | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog
Apple stock takes a hit after Wall Street hammers iPhone 5c ‘iPhlop’
iPhone 5S & 5C FAIL: Apple loses the plot | Computerworld Blogs
The iPhone 5S and 5C: Yes, Apple is Losing It
Smartphones outsell feature phones for first time, while Apple's iPhone loses market share - Gartner
Apple's sliding mobile market share - new iPhone and iPad are crucial - Sep. 3, 2013

So you don't fancy Apple's chances in the developing world? Neither do I.

Having said that I need a break from this thread as I have other things to do, i hope those links keep you busy for some time.

Manu Tyagi

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
What evidence do you have that they know this?

check out market dude..iphone5S and the other which wants to ride on lumia series colours(iphone5C which apple will say that they were the first to do this) are not generating the same hype..other than for iphone fans...
also that junk market was his view..this was my view regarding his company's JUNK..
and u know what there was time when Nokia was not shrinking they were selling the largest number of phones around the globe and see what happens to them..and as for apple..it never even became largest in terms of selling the quantities..so market being eaten up by WP is now at the cost of iOS..
that is not being said by me..lot of articles and data coming..

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
For some reason I can't quote your post - please accept my apologies. I'll try to respond to the points anyway.

Regarding your images - I'm sorry, but I don't understand why you say Apple are trying to present the figures as something they are not. Do you base this on a single picture showing Tim Cook in front of a graph showing cumulative sales of iPhones, and clearly labelled as such? Is that the only data that Apple has released? When you say that they are sweeping the dark side under the mat, what is this dark side? Please be specific, and point to numbers you're based this on.

Regarding innovation - indeed the iPhone doesn't seem to change much from year to year. Strange as we may find it, it still sells by the bucket load.

Regarding manipulating share prices - is this relevant to the discussion? If you're suggesting that someone is manipulating Apple's share price, I'd be very interested to know who is doing it and why. Are they manipulating it up or down?

Regarding the links - some interesting stories. Seems to fall into three categories:
- Specific story about Apple taking a margin hit in India, due to currency fluctuations. Not sure how this relates to your point. Probably other importers to India have the same issue - i.e. raise local prices or take a margin hit.
- Articles slagging of the iPhone 5S and 5C, published after they were announced but before they were released (so before sales numbers were in). They make some fair points.
- Articles documenting Apple's declining market share (although sales are growing, they are not growing as fast as the market as a whole). Again - please clarify is falling market share is what you mean when you say Apple is shrinking.

Here's an article for you: iPhones 5s and 5c sell 9m in record weekend as Apple shrugs off doubters | Technology | The Guardian
To summarise: iPhone 5S and 5C sold 9m units in the three days after launch. This is almost double the 5m iPhone 5's sold in the three days after its launch last year. I don't claim to understand why they are so popular, but these are impressive numbers, no?

In general, it would be helpful if you have be specific about what you're claiming - right now it's all vague stuff about shrinking, share price manipulation and innovation. Then we can judge whether you are right and hopefully have an enlightening discussion.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
check out market dude..

Check out the market dude: iPhones 5s and 5c sell 9m in record weekend as Apple shrugs off doubters | Technology | The Guardian
I'm not here to defend Apple, but those numbers are good.

iphone5S and the other which wants to ride on lumia series colours(iphone5C which apple will say that they were the first to do this) are not generating the same hype..other than for iphone fans...

Please provide evidence that Apple say they are the first to do phones in different colours.
And I'm sick of reading about the iPhone 5S and 5C - they certain are generating a lot of hype.

also that junk market was his view..this was my view regarding his company's JUNK..

What is the junk market?

and u know what there was time when Nokia was not shrinking they were selling the largest number of phones around the globe and see what happens to them..

Yes that's true. Maybe Apple will indeed go the way of Nokia. Do you think the current sales numbers suggest this?

and as for apple..it never even became largest in terms of selling the quantities..

Is that important?

so market being eaten up by WP is now at the cost of iOS..
that is not being said by me..lot of articles and data coming..

Well, WP does seem to be growing faster than Apple, but surely Android is eating iOS market share much more quickly?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I am strongly feeling that, Tim Cooks is watching this thread 'very' closely, getting email alerts about every new response and is paying someone to act like a policeman to every participant of the thread.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am strongly feeling that, Tim Cooks is watching this thread 'very' closely, getting email alerts about every new response and is paying someone to act like a policeman to every participant of the thread.

Indeed - Im just waiting for someone to find that link from an analyst firm that called out the 9million weekend sales as false. Something about 9million was the figure sold to carriers not the actual consumer sales figures which were apparently closer to 5.5million

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Indeed - Im just waiting for someone to find that link from an analyst firm that called out the 9million weekend sales as false. Something about 9million was the figure sold to carriers not the actual consumer sales figures which were apparently closer to 5.5million

Evidence please. And importantly, is the same true for the 5m figure for the iPhone 5? We need to know whether these figures are comparable, as that will help us judge whether Apple are shrinking or not.
May not help us so much with the question about whether they know it, though.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This link?

Apple iPhone Sales: The Real Numbers Behind Tim Cook's Misleading Chart Displayed At The iPhone 5S, 5C Unveiling

As the chart shows, quarterly sales of the iPhone have declined over the previous quarters. It is worth noting, however, that Apple sold 31.2 million iPhones in Q3 2013, which is up from 26 million in the year-ago quarter.
The chart is at best a data visualization failure. At worst, it?s very misleading about Apple?s sales situation.
The stock market was not fooled. After the event, Apple shares fell nearly 2 percent to close at $494. In pre-marketing trading Wednesday morning, stock fell another 5 percent to close at $467, with analysts citing investor disappointment in the iPhone 5C as a primary reason.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Evidence please. And importantly, is the same true for the 5m figure for the iPhone 5? We need to know whether these figures are comparable, as that will help us judge whether Apple are shrinking or not.
May not help us so much with the question about whether they know it, though.

I haven't got time to go searching for it but I do remember reading about it Tuesday. Although I have seen numerous reports on sales figures some are basing figures on activations, others on shipping numbers, others include orders placed that wont arrive for another month, some combine the sales of the two devices others don't.

There's no denying they sold a lot and with two devices broke previous records. Bottom line is all those 5C buyers got ripped off.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I haven't got time to go searching for it but I do remember reading about it Tuesday. Although I have seen numerous reports on sales figures some are basing figures on activations, others on shipping numbers, others include orders placed that wont arrive for another month, some combine the sales of the two devices others don't.

There's no denying they sold a lot and with two devices broke previous records. Bottom line is all those 5C buyers got ripped off.

Only because I love you for the fact that you are a mutant dressed user (in a good way, and I have some spare time before I sign off for the day), let me do the hard work for you,

Apple's "Cumulative iPhone Sales" chart is spinning data hard
What Was Tim Cook Trying to Prove With This Meaningless Chart?
• Apple iPhone: global sales 2007-2013, by quarter | Statistic
Cumulative iPhone sales chart
Yawn: Apple Launches New iPhones & Other Stuff
Opening weekend iPhone 5s, 5c sales may have been split 50-50, insider says
Apple Downgraded Or Estimates Lowered By BofA Merrill Lynch, Credit Suisse, Piper Jaffray And UBS - Forbes

I feel 5 users got ripped, buy a phone and next year its discontinued while its older models continue, wait hey, aint all iphone users being ripped?

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

These are the links I believe everyone's looking for:
How many iPhones did Apple sell last weekend? Analysts dispute the numbers | The Verge
Apple Actually Only Sold 5.5 Million iPhones During Opening Weekend, Says Gene Munster - Business Insider
Apple's 9 million weekend: What the analysts are saying - Apple 2.0 -Fortune Tech
Analysis Of Previous iPhone's And iPad's Channel Inventory - Forbes

TLDR: The iPhone5s sold out, so you can trust that what Apple reported as sales are actually on the streets walking around as activated phones. The 5c is different though, as there is plenty of inventory available, and the 9M represents units sold to Carriers, then what is actually on the streets - what most normal people consider a "sale" - is something less than 9M. Most analysts put that number as 2-3M still sitting on carrier's shelves, making the true sold-through number roughly 6-7M. Still impressive and a record for Apple, but also a first in that they overbuilt for initial demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3