You cannot be serious.....Really Tim Cook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I can see what he's trying to say. Probably coming across more arrogant and snobby than its meant to be.

At the end of the day, Apple fanboys will eat this up. MS/Nokia fanboys will cry bloody murder. We'll be right back where we started, lol

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It seems to be right, one must realize that it's talking about ~2007-2010 era more than present day. Currently it's Apple copying Microsoft, but it's quite clear that Apple was the one who set the new trend in 2007-2008 that everyone else followed, including Microsoft when you look at Windows Mobile vs. Windows Phone.

You can think what you want about Apple products, but you can't deny the impact of the iPhone's on mobile phone market and how it totally changed the field. However, I see that their innovation on that field only lasted for a few years, now it feels like it's a joke after another (that said, they did manage to break through with tablets too, but iPhone has seen fairly little new anymore), especially after Jobs stepped down.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
This is great! Apple's got a target on WP's back. Shows our platform and hardware are a real threat.

This is particularly interesting because Apple is normally quiet when it comes to publicly going after other mobile platforms. That way they feed the notion that their products are in a higher class than android & WP. This new aggressiveness that we saw in Apples last event and these statements are evidence of a new PR strategy in response to our growing threat.

KKRLessey

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
LMAO

Well I say Tim Cook and Apple copied windows phone and the 'metro' UI. Then I say Apple can't innovate anymore and overprice all their products. I feel better now!

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
It seems to be right, one must realize that it's talking about ~2007-2010 era more than present day. Currently it's Apple copying Microsoft, but it's quite clear that Apple was the one who set the new trend in 2007-2008 that everyone else followed, including Microsoft when you look at Windows Mobile vs. Windows Phone.

You can think what you want about Apple products, but you can't deny the impact of the iPhone's on mobile phone market and how it totally changed the field. However, I see that their innovation on that field only lasted for a few years, now it feels like it's a joke after another (that said, they did manage to break through with tablets too, but iPhone has seen fairly little new anymore), especially after Jobs stepped down.
i..iii dont think steve jobs stepped down lol.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

i dont deny that apple started the trend but to say that anyone is copying their business model is just distorted reality. Google bought motorola for patents not for a similar apple strategy. microsoft bought nokia to have more control and work in closer conjunction with the nokia team responsible for hardware, thus being able to create a "pure" windows phone experience that is above what other wp OEMs are producing at said moment. i think each company has their own distinct strategy. though i will agree microsoft went more the apple route with the walled garden OS think. there are aspects microsoft pinched from apple and google but ultimately i believe they have their own end expectation.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
This is great! Apple's got a target on WP's back. Shows our platform and hardware are a real threat.

This is particularly interesting because Apple is normally quiet when it comes to publicly going after other mobile platforms. That way they feed the notion that their products are in a higher class than android & WP. This new aggressiveness that we saw in Apples last event and these statements are evidence of a new PR strategy in response to our growing threat.
well i think this is all just to get attention off of their own lackluster presentation AGAIN. market shares have plummeted for the third year in a row, samsung androids and the moto x and the htc one, as well as the sony xperia z1 are giving the iphone a serious run for money in functionality and look. samsung is a juggernaut and thats another fact. we also cannot overlook that windows phone is surpassing apple in certain markets due to affordability of their products.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Apple/Cook taking pot shots at their competitors isn't surprising. Microsoft does it all the time. But keep in mind that Microsoft's antitrust lawsuit ended just a little over two years ago. After 8 years they no longer have any Government oversight preventing them from integrating their many products and services. Apple had a head start but let's not underestimate the ramifications of the antitrust lawsuit. It kept Microsoft shackled for a long time. Now Microsoft is innovating at a faster pace than I've ever seen. Windows 8, RT, Xbox One, WP, Office 365, Skype, IE, cloud services and let's not forget the glue, Bing. You know, that thing Apple integrated into Siri. I think combining their products and services is what MS always wanted to do and now they finally can.

Cook is so worried about people copying their business model.
How about you start copying other people's pricing model?

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Apple/Cook taking pot shots at their competitors isn't surprising. Microsoft does it all the time. But keep in mind that Microsoft's antitrust lawsuit ended just a little over two years ago. After 8 years they no longer have any Government oversight preventing them from integrating their many products and services. Apple had a head start but let's not underestimate the ramifications of the antitrust lawsuit. It kept Microsoft shackled for a long time. Now Microsoft is innovating at a faster pace than I've ever seen. Windows 8, RT, Xbox One, WP, Office 365, Skype, IE, cloud services and let's not forget the glue, Bing. You know, that thing Apple integrated into Siri. I think combining their products and services is what MS always wanted to do and now they finally can.

this is also a really valid point. Alot of people say that microsoft is too much of a giant company to keep up on all products i think they were not sleeping but rather, forced into a cage.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

I agree with the innovation pace at Microsoft, and the quality of it as well compared to their history. I am actively pursuing moving my company's mail/collaboration cloud to Office 365/Exchange Online from Google Apps. Why? Because Microsoft's product is the most compatible across platforms. Yeah, really. When was the last time you heard that? Apple simply doesn't have an offering that can stand in an enterprise environment that exchanges and interoperates with other businesses. Google is actively creating that wall around their "garden," anyone try to sync ALL of Google Apps for Business to a OSX? Here's a hint, you're not going to get reliable contact sync and NO Task sync. Google's Outlook connector is buggy and is prone to hanging. Their web interface is absolutely horrid for any type of heavy use.

Apple is really boxed into a corner. Granted, its a pretty cozy and comfortable corner, but they are boxed in. The only way they can penetrate the enterprise is going to be a tablet - the phone form factor is too small. They'll need a true service - an enterprise level and manageable form of iCloud - to truly break out of that corner.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Apple's last few iPads and iPhones haven't been selling because of innovation. They've been selling because of the Apple fans that will buy anything Apple releases.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Apple's last few iPads and iPhones haven't been selling because of innovation. They've been selling because of the Apple fans that will buy anything Apple releases.

Maybe it's because their apple stuff works better for them? I want to switch to Microsoft so badly but I can't yet because some of the functionality just isn't there. Why can't I rate a song in Xbox music? Why is it so hard to email a PDF?

ill be first in line when they fix these small issues.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Fair enough I guess. I think most of the big innovations have been done for the foreseeable future. There will probably minor refinements over the next few years.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
It'll be pretty interesting to see how far Apple can take biometrics with 3rd parties. If it doesn't get beyond the App store authorizations, then it remains a niche for the near term - and a hassle for corporate IT. This could be a classic case study of Apple needing to win over the trust of 3rd parties they've previously screwed over - Amazon - to extend that utility. I think the fact that there wasn't any additional utility announced at launch is telling to that scenario - usually Apple has some external partners involved and on board with new features right out of the gate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3