10-02-2013 02:45 PM
55 123
tools
    I still kind of doubt it will happen because of his age - he's 68 - and I would think he wouldn't want to put in the hours too much longer.
    Maybe he deserves to retire and just lay around in bed all day.

But the list of possible CEO that would be good is a short one.
    09-27-2013 02:56 PM
    That's Mr. Nostradamus to you Alfred. Pennywise is not my name, I just like eating children, they taste like Butterscotch.
    And a sweet transvestite?
    09-27-2013 03:01 PM
    Do you even know the meaning of Nostradamus?
    09-27-2013 03:07 PM
    I still kind of doubt it will happen because of his age - he's 68 - and I would think he wouldn't want to put in the hours too much longer.
    Nah dude, this guy's the Brett Favre of CEOs, only more successful with each stop.
    09-27-2013 03:09 PM
    The "meaning"? Pray tell.
    09-27-2013 03:14 PM
    And a sweet transvestite?
    Tossed fruit salad?
    09-27-2013 03:14 PM
    Tossed fruit salad?
    Maybe its the beer talking, but huh?

And by that I mean, I'm not getting the reference to my reference. lol
    Last edited by Adretheon; 09-27-2013 at 09:48 PM.
    09-27-2013 09:38 PM
    Hmm, No.
    09-28-2013 12:00 AM
    Hmm, No.
    I don't see this guy, convincing Microsoft haters to leave their beloved (Google ,Apple, Sony products) to come over to Microsoft.
    09-28-2013 06:22 AM
    What he cut at Ford - Jaguar, Range Rover, etc. - were recent acquisitions and did not fit into Ford's image or strengths. He hasn't cut any of Ford's key products, you could even argue he's kept and rejuvenated nameplates (Mustang) that the bean counters have been wanting to kill. His timing at Ford has been impeccable, and in the boardroom he has created some order and function out of turf wars and back stabbing. Kind of a "One Microso..." err "One Ford" focus.

If it came to pass, it wouldn't be a long term stint - he's 68. But probably one of the most respected CEO's in a general sense worldwide.
    He also sold Volvo off for nothing to the Chinese to focus on Lincoln as their luxury brand. I don't think most people realize just how fundamentally broken the auto industry was at the time he came in, and still is to some extent. It really did not take a genius to fix these companies (global platforms and part commonality are not earth shattering concepts), and he would be out of place in a tech company. I know a number of people high enough up in the auto industry to know him, and while they do respect him, he isn't the savior he is made out to be
    09-28-2013 09:06 AM
    He also sold Volvo off for nothing to the Chinese to focus on Lincoln as their luxury brand. I don't think most people realize just how fundamentally broken the auto industry was at the time he came in, and still is to some extent. It really did not take a genius to fix these companies (global platforms and part commonality are not earth shattering concepts), and he would be out of place in a tech company. I know a number of people high enough up in the auto industry to know him, and while they do respect him, he isn't the savior he is made out to be
    Two simple questions to ask:
    1. Why did they need to bring him onboard from Boeing?
    2. If the ideas he put forth were not earth-shattering, why didn't they do it while Ford Jr. (William Clay) was still at the helm?

I know hindsight is 20/20, but foresight needs to be sharper. Mulally has that in spades.
    09-28-2013 11:30 AM
    I don't see this guy, convincing Microsoft haters to leave their beloved (Google ,Apple, Sony products) to come over to Microsoft.
    While I prefer Elop, I wouldn't be upset if the Mulally was the next CEO of MS. He's been an advisor during the whole reorg already.

Also remember Ford's old reputation. It wasn't all that great. They were known for unreliable cars, even through most of those quality issues had improved 10 yrs ago. People still remembered the old Ford.

Ford=Fix Or Repair Daily

Now Ford is cutting edge and the best American auto maker.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    09-28-2013 12:03 PM
    You could be right, but I've personally known people that didn't give up until well aged in their 90's. It seems what he has done in the past is given the buying public what they wanted, instead of listening to accountants, bean counters, PR Reps, or the federal govt. That's why the Mustang and Ford truck sales soared, Ford never pushed the failures like GM did, but instead looked at what they thought the public wanted. My hope is that he will do the same with MS O/S's give the enterprise and desktop people what they want not a hybrid desktop/mobile O/S. Seems like Windows is only selling because the public has no choice and he may be the one to do it.
    09-28-2013 01:13 PM
    At this point I simply don't see it. Maybe after I hear from the Ford exec I'll change my mind but at this point, I don't think so. He'll likely be as stuffy or more stuffy than Balmer. And there isn't anything Microsoft needs less of than "Jed Clampett" framing up my reasons to use Microsoft Surface.
    psudotechzealot likes this.
    09-28-2013 03:53 PM
    At this point I simply don't see it. Maybe after I hear from the Ford exec I'll change my mind but at this point, I don't think so. He'll likely be as stuffy or more stuffy than Balmer. And there isn't anything Microsoft needs less of than "Jed Clampett" framing up my reasons to use Microsoft Surface.
    I don't think anyone wants to dismantle Windows 8 O/S they just want a regular O/S like Windows7 or XP for enterprise systems and desktop users which the Metro interface is not needed or used, the vega-matic approach is unwanted. I have Windows 8 on my newest laptop, right out of the box I installed Classic Shell that boots right into desktop with all the menus and navigation I want, I have Windows 8 on my phone I like it there but not on my tower. If I could uninstall or completely disable the Metro on my laptop I'd do it in a heartbeat. But if it was on a tablet I would use it.
    09-28-2013 04:07 PM
    I don't think anyone wants to dismantle Windows 8 O/S they just want a regular O/S like Windows7 or XP for enterprise systems and desktop users which the Metro interface is not needed or used, the vega-matic approach is unwanted. I have Windows 8 on my newest laptop, right out of the box I installed Classic Shell that boots right into desktop with all the menus and navigation I want, I have Windows 8 on my phone I like it there but not on my tower. If I could uninstall or completely disable the Metro on my laptop I'd do it in a heartbeat. But if it was on a tablet I would use it.
    Window 8 IS a regular OS. My person feeling is there is this unyielding vocal minority of people who insist that people should not learn anything new. If you need to get to the desktop, click and get there It cost you no time at all. Don't want to use metro, don't use it. Its not that difficult.But to insist that things be done the same way it has been done for the last 20 years is pure stagnation. Its probably why Windows phone is having a tougher time than it should. The vocal minority can't be bothered with change.
    Reflexx, squire777, Etios and 1 others like this.
    09-28-2013 04:49 PM
    Window 8 IS a regular OS. My person feeling is there is this unyielding vocal minority of people who insist that people should not learn anything new. If you need to get to the desktop, click and get there It cost you no time at all. Don't want to use metro, don't use it. Its not that difficult.But to insist that things be done the same way it has been done for the last 20 years is pure stagnation. Its probably why Windows phone is having a tougher time than it should. The vocal minority can't be bothered with change.
    Fully understand about the desktop, but why would I want the metro interface hanging around if I don't want it. It's like if all Detroit offered was a hybrid auto and I never intended on using the electric engine, why would I want carry the extra weight motor plus batteries if I never wanted that in the 1st place or ever intend on wanting to use. If MS continues to build OS like that for enterprise and large tower desktops I will find another O/S and it won't be MS. BTW I'm surprised that someone has not stepped up to the plate and built it already, because we are looking for something and it is not Windows 8.
    09-28-2013 07:26 PM
    Fully understand about the desktop, but why would I want the metro interface hanging around if I don't want it. It's like if all Detroit offered was a hybrid auto and I never intended on using the electric engine, why would I want carry the extra weight motor plus batteries if I never wanted that in the 1st place or ever intend on wanting to use. If MS continues to build OS like that for enterprise and large tower desktops I will find another O/S and it won't be MS. BTW I'm surprised that someone has not stepped up to the plate and built it already, because we are looking for something and it is not Windows 8.
    You do realize that MS was playing follow-the-leader when it came to developing a touch-optimized desktop OS. Apple's OSX Mountain Lion is the one that got it started so I guess you'll be off to Linux. Or, you could learn to appreciate the Metro UI by actually learning to use it instead of bashing it for the sake of being tied to the past. Good luck with your search.
    Jazmac likes this.
    09-28-2013 07:36 PM
    You do realize that MS was playing follow-the-leader when it came to developing a touch-optimized desktop OS. Apple's OSX Mountain Lion is the one that got it started so I guess you'll be off to Linux. Or, you could learn to appreciate the Metro UI by actually learning to use it instead of bashing it for the sake of being tied to the past. Good luck with your search.
    Obviously you respond without reading my post, as I said I have a Windows 8 phone Nokia 920 and like the interface on it, but why do I need metro interface to run MS Enterprise software and Photoshop, why would I find that useful on a large monitor while having multiple programs opened using all at the same time?
    09-28-2013 08:20 PM
    Obviously you respond without reading my post, as I said I have a Windows 8 phone Nokia 920 and like the interface on it, but why do I need metro interface to run MS Enterprise software and Photoshop, why would I find that useful on a large monitor while having multiple programs opened using all at the same time?
    You may not find it useful right now.

You may want to stay in desktop mode for now.
    That doesn't mean that MS shouldn't move forward with a unified system that is better positioned for the future.

What you're asking MS to do is fragment their OS further. It may serve you better that way now, but it would make it tougher for MS as time goes on.
    09-28-2013 08:34 PM
    Doesn't 8.1 allow for booting straight to desktop?
    09-28-2013 08:38 PM
    A lot of people don't understand that you don't need to be a "insert interest here" guy to run a "widget" company. Mulally's orchestra of ford's recovery was magical. He has repeatedly taken old-style bureaucratic companies and performed comebacks with them (Boeing, Ford). He took Ford from a red ink, bloated mess to america's number one brand (1). Not to mention he did it all while remaining the only US auto manufacturer not to take government bailout money during the bailouts (hotly contested issue and not completely true but that is the way the public sees it). Point is this guy is a master of consumer image and he took one of the most over bloated and bureaucratic companies (a car company in general, not just ford) and created the "one ford" architecture. If Microsoft needs anything it is help with company image and the ability to move a bureaucratic behemoth in a common direction and Mulally can do that. Microsoft would be lucky to get him and I wouldn't bet against him any day.

Aside from all of this his job at Ford isn't done yet and it would be a foul move to leave it before the recovery is fully complete.

(1) Yahoo!
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    09-28-2013 08:39 PM
    Your post did not mention any of those items you just listed. I replied to your sentiment regarding looking for another OS. BTW, if you bothered to read up on W8 you would have known about Snap. I imagine having 2 windows open side-by-side would be "useful on a large monitor". I'm not a young man by any stretch, but I do appreciate things that make my life easier even if it means going through a learning curve. There is no profit in swimming against the current.
    09-28-2013 08:55 PM
    The "meaning"? Pray tell.
    We will see when the next CEO is announced. Being Nostradamus means you can predict tbe future.
    09-29-2013 06:07 AM
    Are you confusing Nostradamus with Nosferatu?
    09-29-2013 09:02 AM
55 123