Call Me Nostradamus

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
When the Nokia acquisition hit the presses and we discussed it here a while back, I called it.

Ford CEO Mulally on track to lead Microsoft?

I think it would be a major coup for MS and a big loss for Ford. Mulally is a proven commodity who rights ships by playing to the strengths of companies without resorting to the usual cost-cutting tactics of slashing workforces and limiting options to consumers. Boeing is a stronger company due to his stewardship and the Ford story is one for the ages. Minds like his and Peter Ueberroth's only come once in a generation, MS needs to make this happen.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
When the Nokia acquisition hit the presses and we discussed it here a while back, I called it.

Ford CEO Mulally on track to lead Microsoft?

I think it would be a major coup for MS and a big loss for Ford. Mulally is a proven commodity who rights ships by playing to the strengths of companies without resorting to the usual cost-cutting tactics of slashing workforces and limiting options to consumers. Boeing is a stronger company due to his stewardship and the Ford story is one for the ages. Minds like his and Peter Ueberroth's only come once in a generation, MS needs to make this happen.

Well done Michel.

Im not fussed who takes over as long as they improve marketing and don't change Balmers plans I will continue to be a happy camper.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Mulally would be terrible for MS in my opinion. His only goal would be to drive up share prices which would mean selling off divisions such as XBox, Skype, and others that he can liquidate fast. Operating a car company and one of the largest tech companies are two different things.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
What he cut at Ford - Jaguar, Range Rover, etc. - were recent acquisitions and did not fit into Ford's image or strengths. He hasn't cut any of Ford's key products, you could even argue he's kept and rejuvenated nameplates (Mustang) that the bean counters have been wanting to kill. His timing at Ford has been impeccable, and in the boardroom he has created some order and function out of turf wars and back stabbing. Kind of a "One Microso..." err "One Ford" focus.

If it came to pass, it wouldn't be a long term stint - he's 68. But probably one of the most respected CEO's in a general sense worldwide.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Let's be honest here: Microsoft is a different animal then Ford. Or Apple. Or Kraft Foods. Or any other company out there. No company has the situation MS is in. The amount of change, the amount of income, the amount of different products, the world wide reach.... MS is a world of it's own. No CEO is walking into this situation and is going to hit the ground running. I do not care if it is an internal candidate who has been in the company for 20 years. This internal candidate will have a strong attachment to the one area he/she was working and will be lost in the 20 or so other areas.

That being said, MS could sure make a worst decision. Mulally has Ford in the top end of quality as well as sales. I have zero problem with this hireif this is the direction they go. It may not be long term, as a 20 year CEO he will not be. I worry a little that he may not have a smooth transition, but I do not worry he won't be able to smooth this process out for MS. If he leans on the talent that is there (especially on the Enterprise side where MS still makes all their money) and welcomes in and secures the talent from Nokia and mobile side (where MS has the most potential growth) then he could do what he does best- get the ship moving in one direction. But he needs to secure the brightest minds in Redmond and abroad.

Which is true no matter who the CEO is.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, is it Nostradamus or Pennywise? You can't have both.

That's Mr. Nostradamus to you Alfred. Pennywise is not my name, I just like eating children, they taste like Butterscotch.

Well I can think of lots of things to call you. Nostradamus isn't one of them unfortunately.

You can call me anything your little heart desires. But I would prefer Daddy.

Mulally would be terrible for MS in my opinion. His only goal would be to drive up share prices which would mean selling off divisions such as XBox, Skype, and others that he can liquidate fast. Operating a car company and one of the largest tech companies are two different things.

Ford was his first foray into the auto business. Mulally came from Boeing where he turned that company 180 degrees. Having good business acumen is the hallmark of any good CEO no matter what industry it is. Identifying strengths and weaknesses within a company is key. Any CEO who governs by simply looking at a P&L sheet won't make it very far (see Leo Apotheker). XBox, and particularly Skype, have brand recognition and Mulally hasn't shown any history of slashing brands in the name of share prices. He brought back the Taurus nameplate as his first act and it paid off. The Focus and Fusion are runaway successes because of the revitalization of the brands.

Don't kid yourself, this guy knows what he's doing. The Lumia brand WILL be a household name if he has his way.

Well done Michel.

Im not fussed who takes over as long as they improve marketing and don't change Balmers plans I will continue to be a happy camper.

Who's Michel?

Why can't we get a good tech guy on board?

Ever heard the saying that any lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client? I'll admit that MS needs to have a strong leader in the "tech" department who isn't job-scared to tell the boss he's making a mistake. Just be ready to back it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
A good tech guy that's good with PR.

It doesn't matter much how good of a PR person it is, tech writers will still hate Microsoft.

Ever heard the saying that any lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client? I'll admit that MS needs to have a strong leader in the "tech" department who isn't job-scared to tell the boss he's making a mistake. Just be ready to back it up.

There's a non-tech department within Microsoft? I suppose their entertainment division is, but overall it seems primarily a tech company.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter much how good of a PR person it is, tech writers will still hate Microsoft.

There's a non-tech department within Microsoft? I suppose their entertainment division is, but overall it seems primarily a tech company.

Unless MS has totally broken the mold, I'm sure there's Engineering, Accounting, HR, Advertising, Software, Hardware, etc.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Unless MS has totally broken the mold, I'm sure there's Engineering, Accounting, HR, Advertising, Software, Hardware, etc.

Software, hardware, and engineering are part of a tech company. Didn't think about the accounting or HR, since I really don't like the idea of accounting telling tech guys what to do. Bean counters should not run Microsoft. Even Ballmer had some tech knowledge going in.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Software, hardware, and engineering are part of a tech company. Didn't think about the accounting or HR, since I really don't like the idea of accounting telling tech guys what to do. Bean counters should not run Microsoft. Even Ballmer had some tech knowledge going in.

That's been the crux of my argument for Mulally the whole time. He's not the type to go by numbers exclusively. I'll give you an example of why "experts" in a certain field don't always make good leaders. Former pitchers make the worst pitching coaches in baseball. If you look around the league, the most successful managers are former catchers. They have the best grasp of pitching and see the whole field from a view no one else on the diamond has. In football, it's even more pronounced. Only a handful of former players go on to be successful coaches (Shula, Ditka and maybe Jim Harbaugh).

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
That's been the crux of my argument for Mulally the whole time. He's not the type to go by numbers exclusively. I'll give you an example of why "experts" in a certain field don't always make good leaders. Former pitchers make the worst pitching coaches in baseball. If you look around the league, the most successful managers are former catchers. They have the best grasp of pitching and see the whole field from a view no one else on the diamond has. In football, it's even more pronounced. Only a handful of former players go on to be successful coaches (Shula, Ditka and maybe Jim Harbaugh).

I'm just paranoid of anyone new doing something to the RT program. It's what I'd like to call a keeper.

What do you think this guy brings to a tech company the size an scope of Microsoft?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb