Call Me Nostradamus

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Look, the guy is educated in aerospace and astronautical engineering. He led the team that designed the digital cockpit in the 767 - usually claimed as the first in commercial craft. He has done nothing but lead teams that have accomplished throughout his career - at all levels. If there are any business organizations that were more byzantine than a broad focused tech like Microsoft, Boeing and Ford would be in that group.

Its when the leadership of an org starts believing all the press that they are unique and one of a kind and irreplaceable, that's generally when bad things start to happen. Ma Bell in the 70's, Microsoft in the 90's/00, Sun, Novell, Lotus, even Apple and Google in the 2010's. Yes, Apple and Google included. Google from "Don't be Evil" to "Eff It!" Apple refusing to support or innovate for the enterprise.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Look, the guy is educated in aerospace and astronautical engineering. He led the team that designed the digital cockpit in the 767 - usually claimed as the first in commercial craft. He has done nothing but lead teams that have accomplished throughout his career - at all levels. If there are any business organizations that were more byzantine than a broad focused tech like Microsoft, Boeing and Ford would be in that group.

Its when the leadership of an org starts believing all the press that they are unique and one of a kind and irreplaceable, that's generally when bad things start to happen. Ma Bell in the 70's, Microsoft in the 90's/00, Sun, Novell, Lotus, even Apple and Google in the 2010's. Yes, Apple and Google included. Google from "Don't be Evil" to "Eff It!" Apple refusing to support or innovate for the enterprise.

That's the type of information I was unaware of.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I still kind of doubt it will happen because of his age - he's 68 - and I would think he wouldn't want to put in the hours too much longer.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
What he cut at Ford - Jaguar, Range Rover, etc. - were recent acquisitions and did not fit into Ford's image or strengths. He hasn't cut any of Ford's key products, you could even argue he's kept and rejuvenated nameplates (Mustang) that the bean counters have been wanting to kill. His timing at Ford has been impeccable, and in the boardroom he has created some order and function out of turf wars and back stabbing. Kind of a "One Microso..." err "One Ford" focus.

If it came to pass, it wouldn't be a long term stint - he's 68. But probably one of the most respected CEO's in a general sense worldwide.

He also sold Volvo off for nothing to the Chinese to focus on Lincoln as their luxury brand. I don't think most people realize just how fundamentally broken the auto industry was at the time he came in, and still is to some extent. It really did not take a genius to fix these companies (global platforms and part commonality are not earth shattering concepts), and he would be out of place in a tech company. I know a number of people high enough up in the auto industry to know him, and while they do respect him, he isn't the savior he is made out to be

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
He also sold Volvo off for nothing to the Chinese to focus on Lincoln as their luxury brand. I don't think most people realize just how fundamentally broken the auto industry was at the time he came in, and still is to some extent. It really did not take a genius to fix these companies (global platforms and part commonality are not earth shattering concepts), and he would be out of place in a tech company. I know a number of people high enough up in the auto industry to know him, and while they do respect him, he isn't the savior he is made out to be

Two simple questions to ask:
1. Why did they need to bring him onboard from Boeing?
2. If the ideas he put forth were not earth-shattering, why didn't they do it while Ford Jr. (William Clay) was still at the helm?

I know hindsight is 20/20, but foresight needs to be sharper. Mulally has that in spades.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't see this guy, convincing Microsoft haters to leave their beloved (Google ,Apple, Sony products) to come over to Microsoft.

While I prefer Elop, I wouldn't be upset if the Mulally was the next CEO of MS. He's been an advisor during the whole reorg already.

Also remember Ford's old reputation. It wasn't all that great. They were known for unreliable cars, even through most of those quality issues had improved 10 yrs ago. People still remembered the old Ford.

Ford=Fix Or Repair Daily

Now Ford is cutting edge and the best American auto maker.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I still kind of doubt it will happen because of his age - he's 68 - and I would think he wouldn't want to put in the hours too much longer.

You could be right, but I've personally known people that didn't give up until well aged in their 90's. It seems what he has done in the past is given the buying public what they wanted, instead of listening to accountants, bean counters, PR Reps, or the federal govt. That's why the Mustang and Ford truck sales soared, Ford never pushed the failures like GM did, but instead looked at what they thought the public wanted. My hope is that he will do the same with MS O/S's give the enterprise and desktop people what they want not a hybrid desktop/mobile O/S. Seems like Windows is only selling because the public has no choice and he may be the one to do it.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
At this point I simply don't see it. Maybe after I hear from the Ford exec I'll change my mind but at this point, I don't think so. He'll likely be as stuffy or more stuffy than Balmer. And there isn't anything Microsoft needs less of than "Jed Clampett" framing up my reasons to use Microsoft Surface.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
At this point I simply don't see it. Maybe after I hear from the Ford exec I'll change my mind but at this point, I don't think so. He'll likely be as stuffy or more stuffy than Balmer. And there isn't anything Microsoft needs less of than "Jed Clampett" framing up my reasons to use Microsoft Surface.

I don't think anyone wants to dismantle Windows 8 O/S they just want a regular O/S like Windows7 or XP for enterprise systems and desktop users which the Metro interface is not needed or used, the vega-matic approach is unwanted. I have Windows 8 on my newest laptop, right out of the box I installed Classic Shell that boots right into desktop with all the menus and navigation I want, I have Windows 8 on my phone I like it there but not on my tower. If I could uninstall or completely disable the Metro on my laptop I'd do it in a heartbeat. But if it was on a tablet I would use it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos