Call Me Nostradamus

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't think anyone wants to dismantle Windows 8 O/S they just want a regular O/S like Windows7 or XP for enterprise systems and desktop users which the Metro interface is not needed or used, the vega-matic approach is unwanted. I have Windows 8 on my newest laptop, right out of the box I installed Classic Shell that boots right into desktop with all the menus and navigation I want, I have Windows 8 on my phone I like it there but not on my tower. If I could uninstall or completely disable the Metro on my laptop I'd do it in a heartbeat. But if it was on a tablet I would use it.

Window 8 IS a regular OS. My person feeling is there is this unyielding vocal minority of people who insist that people should not learn anything new. If you need to get to the desktop, click and get there It cost you no time at all. Don't want to use metro, don't use it. Its not that difficult.But to insist that things be done the same way it has been done for the last 20 years is pure stagnation. Its probably why Windows phone is having a tougher time than it should. The vocal minority can't be bothered with change.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Window 8 IS a regular OS. My person feeling is there is this unyielding vocal minority of people who insist that people should not learn anything new. If you need to get to the desktop, click and get there It cost you no time at all. Don't want to use metro, don't use it. Its not that difficult.But to insist that things be done the same way it has been done for the last 20 years is pure stagnation. Its probably why Windows phone is having a tougher time than it should. The vocal minority can't be bothered with change.

Fully understand about the desktop, but why would I want the metro interface hanging around if I don't want it. It's like if all Detroit offered was a hybrid auto and I never intended on using the electric engine, why would I want carry the extra weight motor plus batteries if I never wanted that in the 1st place or ever intend on wanting to use. If MS continues to build OS like that for enterprise and large tower desktops I will find another O/S and it won't be MS. BTW I'm surprised that someone has not stepped up to the plate and built it already, because we are looking for something and it is not Windows 8.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Fully understand about the desktop, but why would I want the metro interface hanging around if I don't want it. It's like if all Detroit offered was a hybrid auto and I never intended on using the electric engine, why would I want carry the extra weight motor plus batteries if I never wanted that in the 1st place or ever intend on wanting to use. If MS continues to build OS like that for enterprise and large tower desktops I will find another O/S and it won't be MS. BTW I'm surprised that someone has not stepped up to the plate and built it already, because we are looking for something and it is not Windows 8.

You do realize that MS was playing follow-the-leader when it came to developing a touch-optimized desktop OS. Apple's OSX Mountain Lion is the one that got it started so I guess you'll be off to Linux. Or, you could learn to appreciate the Metro UI by actually learning to use it instead of bashing it for the sake of being tied to the past. Good luck with your search.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
You do realize that MS was playing follow-the-leader when it came to developing a touch-optimized desktop OS. Apple's OSX Mountain Lion is the one that got it started so I guess you'll be off to Linux. Or, you could learn to appreciate the Metro UI by actually learning to use it instead of bashing it for the sake of being tied to the past. Good luck with your search.

Obviously you respond without reading my post, as I said I have a Windows 8 phone Nokia 920 and like the interface on it, but why do I need metro interface to run MS Enterprise software and Photoshop, why would I find that useful on a large monitor while having multiple programs opened using all at the same time?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Obviously you respond without reading my post, as I said I have a Windows 8 phone Nokia 920 and like the interface on it, but why do I need metro interface to run MS Enterprise software and Photoshop, why would I find that useful on a large monitor while having multiple programs opened using all at the same time?
You may not find it useful right now.

You may want to stay in desktop mode for now.
That doesn't mean that MS shouldn't move forward with a unified system that is better positioned for the future.

What you're asking MS to do is fragment their OS further. It may serve you better that way now, but it would make it tougher for MS as time goes on.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think anyone wants to dismantle Windows 8 O/S they just want a regular O/S like Windows7 or XP for enterprise systems and desktop users which the Metro interface is not needed or used, the vega-matic approach is unwanted. I have Windows 8 on my newest laptop, right out of the box I installed Classic Shell that boots right into desktop with all the menus and navigation I want, I have Windows 8 on my phone I like it there but not on my tower. If I could uninstall or completely disable the Metro on my laptop I'd do it in a heartbeat. But if it was on a tablet I would use it.

Doesn't 8.1 allow for booting straight to desktop?

Matty T

May 8, 2013
Visit site
A lot of people don't understand that you don't need to be a "insert interest here" guy to run a "widget" company. Mulally's orchestra of ford's recovery was magical. He has repeatedly taken old-style bureaucratic companies and performed comebacks with them (Boeing, Ford). He took Ford from a red ink, bloated mess to america's number one brand (1). Not to mention he did it all while remaining the only US auto manufacturer not to take government bailout money during the bailouts (hotly contested issue and not completely true but that is the way the public sees it). Point is this guy is a master of consumer image and he took one of the most over bloated and bureaucratic companies (a car company in general, not just ford) and created the "one ford" architecture. If Microsoft needs anything it is help with company image and the ability to move a bureaucratic behemoth in a common direction and Mulally can do that. Microsoft would be lucky to get him and I wouldn't bet against him any day.

Aside from all of this his job at Ford isn't done yet and it would be a foul move to leave it before the recovery is fully complete.

(1) Yahoo!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Your post did not mention any of those items you just listed. I replied to your sentiment regarding looking for another OS. BTW, if you bothered to read up on W8 you would have known about Snap. I imagine having 2 windows open side-by-side would be "useful on a large monitor". I'm not a young man by any stretch, but I do appreciate things that make my life easier even if it means going through a learning curve. There is no profit in swimming against the current.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Mulally doesn't strike me as the sort of guy that wants to spend the next 20 years at Microsoft. Even if he's a good leader I'm not particularly interested in a fly-by-night CEO.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Too bad you are wrong about Ford CEO as he announced he is not leaving Ford for Microsoft.

Won't be the first time I've been wrong. Matter of fact, the only thing I've ever done right was proposing to my wife 19 years ago. After a failed first marriage no less.

Shame though, MS needs a forward-thinking CEO with a strong right foot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro