Where is the next wave of Lumias?

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I know the 1020 just came out, and the 525, 929, and 1520 are probably just around the corner. However, there's something common about these devices that has been bothering me a lot lately, and that's the number "2".

I'm sure these devices are all great in their own right, but to keep using the 2x naming gives the impression that they are simply variants/refreshes of the first 2x devices, the 820/920, which are pushing a year old already. (And in a way, this is true of the 1020; it has an awesome 41mp camera, but aside from that and the extra gig of ram, everything else is last year's hardware).

Nokia/Microsoft needs to push out a true successor to the 920 soon, i.e. a 930 (and a 730 or 830 wouldn't hurt either). Otherwise it's going to be hard to compete with the new flagships from the competition (5s and the Nexus 5).

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Nokia have been pushing one or two devices a month over the last year. I'm sure that will continue. Yes, some have been 'variants', but that is a seriously fast rate of release for hardware. Because while they share some common attributes like having the same CPU, trust me, they are all individual designs, with own PCBs, antennas, layouts. Not much is shared between them...

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
True they are individual designs, but can you picture a sales guy trying to sell a phone base on those attributes alone? People need tangible numbers and specs. And we are also taking about perceptions here, the competition has upped their game (and they were already ahead to begin with), Nokia can't be seen as simply pushing out refresh after refresh of their phones.

Nokia have been pushing one or two devices a month over the last year. I'm sure that will continue. Yes, some have been 'variants', but that is a seriously fast rate of release for hardware. Because while they share some common attributes like having the same CPU, trust me, they are all individual designs, with own PCBs, antennas, layouts. Not much is shared between them...

Tiago Lopes

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hear hear. I was waiting for an 820 refresh with a sharper screen and maybe a little thinner, id have jumped all over it. It doesn't seem to be coming. They have crippled the swappable covers idea by not placing it on high end hardware.
I was then considering a 925, but the screen is six miles back from the glass. And i already have a 920. Resigning up to a contract to get the same phone but thinner seems stupid. So im getting an S4. The thought makes me sad but the Nokia train seems to be running out of steam

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
We'll see. The current, second-generation models work great. I guess new third Gen hardware would be nice, but not having any performance issues with my 1020, so I'm not going to complain much.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I know the 1020 just came out, and the 525, 929, and 1520 are probably just around the corner. However, there's something common about these devices that has been bothering me a lot lately, and that's the number "2".

I'm sure these devices are all great in their own right, but to keep using the 2x naming gives the impression that they are simply variants/refreshes of the first 2x devices, the 820/920, which are pushing a year old already. (And in a way, this is true of the 1020; it has an awesome 41mp camera, but aside from that and the extra gig of ram, everything else is last year's hardware).

Nokia/Microsoft needs to push out a true successor to the 920 soon, i.e. a 930 (and a 730 or 830 wouldn't hurt either). Otherwise it's going to be hard to compete with the new flagships from the competition (5s and the Nexus 5).

Humm, yea. The tinfoil hat vendor is just to the left.

jedpatrickdatu

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I doubt a "3" Lumia range will be released, since the Microsoft purchase is coming. Redmond will likely replace the naming convention with something new.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So far all indication is that Microsoft will keep the Lumia branding; they'd be foolish not to since the name has traction in the market. Even if they decide to scrap the numbering convention, that would be ok because at least that would bring in a new series of devices.

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
So far all indication is that Microsoft will keep the Lumia branding; they'd be foolish not to since the name has traction in the market. Even if they decide to scrap the numbering convention, that would be ok because at least that would bring in a new series of devices.

I do remember reading, albeit months ago, that MS wanted to make a "Surface Phone". Perhaps they'd change it to that, if at all.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I really hope they do not use the Surface name. It got such a bad rap from the Tablet thing. Stay with Lumia for at least five years then if they get entrenched then they can play with names. WP8 needs all the help it can get. But then I remember not too long ago the same thing was said about Android; and look how that turned out. You really never know what people are going to attach to.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
If Microsoft does go for a Surface Phone, it will be in addition to the Lumia branding, not a replacement. They've already stated they're sparring the name Lumia, and besides, they'd have to be complete idiots to dump a name becoming so well known.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99