10-18-2013 11:14 AM
77 ... 234
tools
    Having said that, it would make sense for HTC to use one platform for both Android and WP. It should lead to cost savings.
    Further up the thread I very briefly explained why this isn't true (#45).

The HTC Two might have a 3840x2160 display, or they might prefer to use the latest and greatest chip from Intel. Yes, using a MS approved chip is the only way it would work, but HTC may not want to constrain one line of phone based on limitations of another. <snipped> I'm not sure it will happen with the top of the range phones though, which run ahead of MS certification. It's more likely at the mid/low end, where such constraints are not so much of a problem.
    Could be. I'm not convinced that your vision of where the smartphone industry is headed is where we are actually going though. Many hardware improvements are yet to come, but I think neither core count nor display resolution will be their focus. I suspect those specs were yesterday's battlefields. I think hardware in general will become less important going forward, because similar to the PC space, for many the point we are at now is simply good enough.
    10-18-2013 11:06 AM
    Further up the thread I very briefly explained why this isn't true (#45).
    I wasn't referring to a dual boot device (I think that's a daft idea). I meant using the same physical phone and selling two versions - one running Android and one running WP.

Could be. I'm not convinced that your vision of where the smartphone industry is headed is where we are actually going though. Many hardware improvements are yet to come, but I think neither core count nor display resolution will be their focus. I suspect those specs were yesterday's battlefields. I think hardware in general will become less important going forward, because similar to the PC space, for many the point we are at now is simply good enough.
    They were just examples. I tend to agree that overall hardware specs will become less important, but we can still expect new phones to use new chipsets, if only because they are cheaper, use less power, support new wireless systems or frequencies, etc. After all, Intel still churn out new PC chips every year, and new PCs use these new chips, even though very few people need the extra features or processing power.
    10-18-2013 11:14 AM
77 ... 234