Microsoft asked HTC to put WP on Android devices! Win or BOO? What's your opinion?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm interested to see the ads for these phones. Will they show them together or will Microsoft have to market HTC Windows Phones?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
If they dual-boot these phones, it'll have to be something revolutionary because if its something like what's involved in dual-booting PCs, it'll be waaaay to big of a hassle and will never catch on.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Definitely an interesting concept. I'd be interested. I do have to wonder though if Android users will have any reason to use WP, and a lot of WP users probably wouldn't use Android.

Is this simply a scheme by Microsoft to inflate market share numbers? Think about it; a lot of Android users are also buying a WP, whether or not they care or even know it, or ever use it. Microsoft can report it as a WP sale which raises numbers even if it's never used. 5 million HTC One's were sold in the first 2 months after it was released in March 2013. If they all would've had WP8 installed it would've increased WP sales by at least 50%, judging by my rough estimation.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Nice idea; but I don't know how hard it would be to do on a phone. I have been using dual boot computers for years. (Windows and Linux). Lots a problems to overcome to be able to pull it off. There is already little memory being installed in smart phones, to have to double it to run duel boot would be an expense that would have to be added to the system. Plus if you wanted to run the same program on both OS's you would have to have a copy of each for each OS on the system. More memory used. Don't think it would work. Now they could make the same phone and you could have your choice of WP8 or Android on it. They could even install it at the carrier; but I don't think the dual boot is viable on a phone. Now dual booting from a SD card and having everything for one OS on the SD card and the other on the internal memory. Thats a possibility. Could you imagine what your OTHER storage would be then. hahahahahhaha

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I would prefer it just to keep to the one OS just so it doesn't over complicate it for the consumer and it more than likely that most user will keep to one OS most of the time.

I would prefer HTC just to make to model one with WP and the other android.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Android is open source. That's why its even an option.

In the words of Phil Nickelson from Android Central: " we say Android is open source while IOS and Windows Phone are closed source, but nothing is as open as you think it is, while at the same time nothing is as closed as you think it is."

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to see a dual-boot option, maybe with three main sections/partitions. Storage for everything, WP, the Android.

Its a great idea, loved the HD2, and will potentially help immensely in trying out WP, because it may even sell itself from what I can see

edit: I have a friend who says they're literally f whoever had the idea

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
and will potentially help immensely in trying out WP, because it may even sell itself from what I can see

Ha well yes that would be great, but it could work the other way too. Imagine hopmedic or spaulagain getting it and then trying out Android. They might decide Android isn't so bad after all! :amaze:

Tommy Tom

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how much value there is in a dual-boot, but there's always value in choice. Windows branded Ones and One Max's? Sign me up for the big fella. Well, if I don't get charmed by the 1520 first.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Is this simply a scheme by Microsoft to inflate market share numbers?

Yeah, that was actually my first thought too, but the thought is flawed.

You are suggesting that MS would misuse sales numbers of HTC's dual-boot Android/WP devices, to report artificially inflated OS share. The thing is, OEM sales numbers aren't really used to measure OS market share. OEM sales numbers are used to judge OEM market share and OEM success, which is certainly also important, but those aren't the numbers MS would want to inflate.

The numbers that do matter, in regard to OS market share, are those published by Kantar, ComScore, etc. Their numbers are ascertained by monitoring web traffic, and are thus influenced by the OS people use to surf the web. Their measurements would be completely unaffected by such dual-boot devices. If a person never boots WP8 on their HTC One, they will never be counted as a WP8 user. These analysts also tend to publish numbers that are rather similar, so I just don't see how MS could get away reporting numbers that are 5% higher than everyone else's. It's just too obvious.

Finally, if MS really wanted to artificially inflate the WP sales numbers in that fashion, then HTC definitely isn't the right partner. If that was truly their intent, MS would have taken that offer to Samsung, and as far as we know, that didn't happen.

No. The idea is a different one. Just keeping more phones in the market and on shelves is probably the biggest reason. Letting people use WP8 without any risk is probably another reason. Likely there are more.

I would instantly buy such a phone, not because I would want to use an Android device, but because it would be a great way of comparing WP to Android on identical hardware.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't think that it is that good of an idea. I just don't like the fact that WP and Android will be on the same device. If people wanted a WP device then they would have gotten a WP. Those who wanted an Android would have gotten an Android.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't think that it is that good of an idea. I just don't like the fact that WP and Android will be on the same device. If people wanted a WP device then they would have gotten a WP. Those who wanted an Android would have gotten an Android.

What if someone wants both? What if someone isn't sure what they want, and would like to try both? What if a heavy Android user doesn't want to risk spending an upgrade and/or money on a device they may not like, but would be interested in trying WP if doing so is risk and cost free?

Increasing WP market share is increasingly about getting people to try something unfamiliar, and as such, this certainly serves a purpose. I doubt Google would allow it, and I don't know enough to judge it on its technical merits (storage space etc), but the idea is good.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think android would look horrible on HTC windows phone style devices....lol I shudder at the thought of it running alongside windows phone.

I'm totally with Nokia as far as innovation and support goes so I will likely never buy another HTC but I'm hoping them a better future.

kc77

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it means that you can boot with whatever OS you would like whenever you want. I think it simply means that when you're purchasing the phone, you will be asked if you want the Android version or the Windows Phone version. Then you will be given whichever you choose and that will be your OS until you upgrade again. I highly doubt they're talking about dual booting operating systems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05