Microsoft asked HTC to put WP on Android devices! Win or BOO? What's your opinion?

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Google probably wouldn't like it, but how could they stop it? I'm not necessarily challenging the idea, but could they prevent it if they wanted to?
Sure can, by telling HTC, if you do this, we will p̶r̶e̶v̶e̶n̶t̶ Ban HTC from using Android and Google services. Remember, Google do not need HTC, but HTC need Google.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Google probably wouldn't like it, but how could they stop it? I'm not necessarily challenging the idea, but could they prevent it if they wanted to?

Google runs something called the Android Compatibility Program. It requires that every OEM submit each device to Google for review, before it can be sold on the market as an Android device.

The list of reasons for Google not to approve a device isn't publicly disclosed. It is speculated that no such list exists, essentially allowing Google to ban any device, for any reason (like a dual-boot option they don't like) from participating in the Android ecosystem.

Such a device can still be sold, but it can't be marketed as an Android device. More importantly, access to many of Google's services is revoked, including the Play Store and Google Maps (others too). That isn't a direct ban, but functionally similar, as it is expected that any such device would fail commercially.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Im baffled by all the dual boot replies.

Its plain obvious this is purely to reduce the cost of creating a WP device, to encourage HTC to continue supporting the OS when sales aren't great.

Its a good idea from Microsoft, and might encourage other Android OEMs to offer a WP variant of their phones. Without the cost of creating a whole new device.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Its plain obvious this is purely to reduce the cost of creating a WP device, to encourage HTC to continue supporting the OS when sales aren't great.

You are misjudging that. To create a single dual-boot device would be significantly more expensive then just developing two separate devices with no overlap. Just consider all the retesting that would be required for one OS, after changes are made to the other. Also consider everything that is still missing to make something like that even possible (firmware updates can't erase everything on the device, storage partitioning, etc... the required amount if reengineering is massive).

Pece

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
My opinion ... never going to happen. These are two diffrent OS, and both have good and bad thing... unless they combine all the good things from WP and all the good things from Android. That would be like an atomic bomb for the market. I hope they dont combine all the bad stuff xD

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
If they dual-boot these phones, it'll have to be something revolutionary because if its something like what's involved in dual-booting PCs, it'll be waaaay to big of a hassle and will never catch on.

What about dual booting is a hassel? Having to reboot? Lol ohhh no. Esp if this does happen I would assume there would be an app "boot to other OS" that would just do everything @ the click of a button.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
What about dual booting is a hassel? Having to reboot? Lol ohhh no. Esp if this does happen I would assume there would be an app "boot to other OS" that would just do everything @ the click of a button.

It sounds like you're trying to be sarcastic, but really, you just proved my point, so thanks.

Yes, rebooting every single time you wanted to switch to the other OS would be a pain. Congratulations if it doesn't bother you. I would rather have my OS simply lack a feature instead of switching the entire OS by rebooting every single time I wanted to use it.

To my second point, if there was a simple button that allowed you to change entire OS's,that would definitely be revolutionary. To the best of my knowledge, that kind of feature doesn't exist anywhere else.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Well then obviously you are not this theoretical phones audience. Which is fine. But for someone who has never used one of the operating systems it would be a great way to try them both out. I don't see this ever happening, but a reboot has never been a pain for me, I really don't understand what would be a pain about it. I've never had an android phone so to me this is intriguing.

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I don't like the idea, but I see this as a opportunity for WP8 to get more popular as HTC had some high end androids. I just don't want problems like wp8 crashing on it due to bad hardware

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Well then obviously you are not this theoretical phones audience. Which is fine. But for someone who has never used one of the operating systems it would be a great way to try them both out. I don't see this ever happening, but a reboot has never been a pain for me, I really don't understand what would be a pain about it. I've never had an android phone so to me this is intriguing.

Regardless if I'm the target audience is beside the point. The point is that not many of these phones would be sold, so it wouldn't beneficial to HTC or Microsoft to make this.

If someone is going to buy a phone and they're not sure if they'll like it, they'll try a phone with one OS and if they don't, give it back within 30 days, then buy the other instead of deciding which one they like more then being stuck with wasted space (the other OS).

There's a reason they don't sell dual-boot computers

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Because anyone that wants one can easily setup a dual-boot solution themselves?

If they were so easy, then you'd have the option when you buy it "to raise awareness of Linux". No, they don't sell them because people would rather buy the OS they want instead of one they do and one they don't.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I think it's great. Someone who bought it for Android will have no excuse to not at least try Windows Phone, since it will be at no additional cost to them. I feel many don't want to at least give Windows Phone a shot because they think they won't like it, and it would cost them extra money to do so. With this, no additional charge, so I feel we will see an influx of people trying it and liking it.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
If they were so easy, then you'd have the option when you buy it "to raise awareness of Linux". No, they don't sell them because people would rather buy the OS they want instead of one they do and one they don't.

Linux will never been an OS (by itself maybe a custom version (steamOS)). If steamOS kicks off i can almost guarantee there will be dual OS computers on the market. There is nothing hard, or inconvenient about dual booting. I agree it's not for the "average" computer user, but there are more and more tech savy people out there. The age of "how do i copy and paste" is beginning to end.

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I also think this has been totally misinterpreted. I think MS is simply asking HTC to put WP8 on existing Android phone IN PLACE OF Android (or to offer separate versions of the same android hardware but only with WP OS installed). Making a dual-boot device is perhaps interesting, but does not really make sense....

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure. IMHO the issue is cost. It costs money to setup, test and support such a dual-boot installation, and that cost would inflate the selling price... you can't get people to pay for Linux, if their interest is Windows, particularly in the highly competitive PC hardware business. I think that kills the idea right there. In the subsidized phone market, that cost is probably not so important.

If it is marketed as a value added feature, that you get for free, I think that would convince a few: "buy the system you know and love, and get the opportunity to test drive its shiny new competitor thrown in for free... 2 for 1."

Theoretically of course... I doubt such a device will come to market.

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Definitely an interesting concept. I'd be interested. I do have to wonder though if Android users will have any reason to use WP, and a lot of WP users probably wouldn't use Android.

Is this simply a scheme by Microsoft to inflate market share numbers? Think about it; a lot of Android users are also buying a WP, whether or not they care or even know it, or ever use it. Microsoft can report it as a WP sale which raises numbers even if it's never used. 5 million HTC One's were sold in the first 2 months after it was released in March 2013. If they all would've had WP8 installed it would've increased WP sales by at least 50%, judging by my rough estimation.

Interesting idea. Is Android becoming the vehicle if choice to increase marketshare?

Reui

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Ativ q? If this happens, it's either they will love the comparison of the two OS or they will not and I would not say it's a win - win for msft because there is still a chance that they would hate the WP experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos