Microsoft asked HTC to put WP on Android devices! Win or BOO? What's your opinion?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Interesting idea. Is Android becoming the vehicle if choice to increase marketshare?

It would be in that scenario.

Over night windows phone could claim 40% market share ( half of Googles 80%) by dual booting with each new phone sale.

Of course, it would take time to see if it was being used, but developers might really start hopping at the potential.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It would be in that scenario.

Nope. OS market share is not typically measured by device sales. It is measured by actual internet usage stats. See one of my earlier post for an explanation.

MS could report 40% market share based on unit sales, piggy backing off Android, but it would make them a laughing stock when the unfudged numbers from Kantar come rolling in.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Nope. OS market share is not typically measured by device sales. It is measured by actual internet usage stats. See one of my earlier post for an explanation.

MS could report 40% market share based on unit sales, piggy backing off Android, but it would make them a laughing stock when the unfudged numbers from Kantar come rolling in.

so is that why android has an 80% market share? Because it takes longer to do things on android than windows? Sounds about right to me XD

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
so is that why android has an 80% market share? Because it takes longer to do things on android than windows? Sounds about right to me XD

Sometimes I can be pretty dense, and this is probably one of those situations... lol... no idea what you're talking about. :grin:

Lol 80%? Are u on crack?

According to this, Android owning 80% of the mobile OS market is about right.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm that article only talks about shipments. Its just hard for me to believe. In my circle only about 25-30% of the people I know / have encountered use android. They def don't have %80 in the USA. The only market that's ever mattered :p

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
What I meant was that you said its measured by mobile usage instead of device sales. I was making a jab at Android at how Windows is much easier to use, so it takes less time to do things, so that would be affecting the marker share

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm that article only talks about shipments. Its just hard for me to believe. In my circle only about 25-30% of the people I know / have encountered use android. They def don't have %80 in the USA. The only market that's ever mattered :p

The 80% figure is worldwide market share. In the US it's more like 50%.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yep, typical mistake... using your friends and family as a way of estimating a product's world wide market share is a sure way to get egg on your face. :wink:

I was specifically trying to find a report on OS market share that is based on shipped/sold units, because that is the only number MS could fudge by claiming every dual-boot device sold as a sale for WP. The report I linked to is what I found, and I remembered that it did support the 80% claim. You are right however, that most other reports show lower market share, but not much lower, usually around 70%.

What I meant was that you said its measured by mobile usage instead of device sales. I was making a jab at Android at how Windows is much easier to use, so it takes less time to do things, so that would be affecting the marker share
lol, please don't ever take a job in MS' marketing department to help them figure out how to improve those stats. :wink:

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I would like it as I tend to own multiple devices (freak like that) but to many questions and current hurdles to see this happening

- standard buttons, button requirements.
- microsoft having restrictions for hardware... as it stands right now most worth while droids out spec MS max spec limits.
- Storage.. we have a hard enough time with WP using up device storage let alone adding Android and all the bloat that follows

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
If the report is correct at all, it is clearly about HTC making a Windows Phone version of their Android products, not about a dual boot phone. Apart from a few "technology fans", I don't see why anyone would want a dual boot phone.

There might be some problems. Microsoft optimise for and certify specific hardware platforms for WP. That's the reason WP tends to be smoother (not faster) than Android on cheap hardware, but also why it's not available on the latest chipsets. I doubt HTC would want to be constrained by this for Android. It may also be the reason that we haven't seen this concept before.

In principle though, the idea is not a bad one, but MS will have to step up and certify platforms more quickly.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I doubt HTC would want to be constrained by this for Android. It may also be the reason that we haven't seen this concept before.

It's the only way it would work. OEMs will either have to build their dual-boot systems on WP compatible hardware or not make the deal. Since GDR3 that limitation no longer really exists though. The Snapdragon 800 is pretty much the best thing out there besides Apple's A7.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
It's the only way it would work. OEMs will either have to build their dual-boot systems on WP compatible hardware or not make the deal. Since GDR3 that limitation no longer really exists though. The Snapdragon 800 is pretty much the best thing out there besides Apple's A7.

The HTC Two might have a 3840x2160 display, or they might prefer to use the latest and greatest chip from Intel. Yes, using a MS approved chip is the only way it would work, but HTC may not want to constrain one line of phone based on limitations of another.

Having said that, it would make sense for HTC to use one platform for both Android and WP. It should lead to cost savings. I'm not sure it will happen with the top of the range phones though, which run ahead of MS certification. It's more likely at the mid/low end, where such constraints are not so much of a problem.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Having said that, it would make sense for HTC to use one platform for both Android and WP. It should lead to cost savings.

Further up the thread I very briefly explained why this isn't true (#45).

The HTC Two might have a 3840x2160 display, or they might prefer to use the latest and greatest chip from Intel. Yes, using a MS approved chip is the only way it would work, but HTC may not want to constrain one line of phone based on limitations of another. <snipped> I'm not sure it will happen with the top of the range phones though, which run ahead of MS certification. It's more likely at the mid/low end, where such constraints are not so much of a problem.

Could be. I'm not convinced that your vision of where the smartphone industry is headed is where we are actually going though. Many hardware improvements are yet to come, but I think neither core count nor display resolution will be their focus. I suspect those specs were yesterday's battlefields. I think hardware in general will become less important going forward, because similar to the PC space, for many the point we are at now is simply good enough.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Further up the thread I very briefly explained why this isn't true (#45).

I wasn't referring to a dual boot device (I think that's a daft idea). I meant using the same physical phone and selling two versions - one running Android and one running WP.

Could be. I'm not convinced that your vision of where the smartphone industry is headed is where we are actually going though. Many hardware improvements are yet to come, but I think neither core count nor display resolution will be their focus. I suspect those specs were yesterday's battlefields. I think hardware in general will become less important going forward, because similar to the PC space, for many the point we are at now is simply good enough.

They were just examples. I tend to agree that overall hardware specs will become less important, but we can still expect new phones to use new chipsets, if only because they are cheaper, use less power, support new wireless systems or frequencies, etc. After all, Intel still churn out new PC chips every year, and new PCs use these new chips, even though very few people need the extra features or processing power.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750