Eminem + Windows Phones = $$$

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I definitely wouldn't push it that far because there's no one who hasn't heard of Jacko whereas if I asked my grandma about Eminem she'd be lost. Plus the longevity of artists these days is not the same, the only reason he's the best selling of the past decade is because few artists have stuck around more than a year or two in the past decade. It's not as big a deal as it once was.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I definitely wouldn't push it that far because there's no one who hasn't heard of Jacko whereas if I asked my grandma about Eminem she'd be lost. Plus the longevity of artists these days is not the same, the only reason he's the best selling of the past decade is because few artists have stuck around more than a year or two in the past decade. It's not as big a deal as it once was.

I bet if you ask your grandmother she would say that white rapper guy.

But your second point is a perfect reason why he would be easily recognizable! He's consistently been one of the most popular artist for almost 20 years and is still releasing new chart toppers.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Almost 20 years? He wasn't even big until I was in 5th grade and that's been 12-13 years... Actually, that's a bit off, he was somewhat big in 99 because he did the MTV awards show that year. That was when he was still somewhat unheard of though. I'll be honest, it feels like you're fanboying a bit. I love Doctor Who but I'm not suggesting a Tardis Blue phone with a "Police Public Call Box" sign on it.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I definitely wouldn't push it that far because there's no one who hasn't heard of Jacko whereas if I asked my grandma about Eminem she'd be lost.

[FYI devil, Berty is not the OP]
When I read this...seriously...my first thought was "who is Jacko?" and you are saying no one who hasn't heard of them, haha.

And Berty...Britney Spears could be inserted into every statement you are making (about # of hits and longevity)... And I think you are underestimating the world wide political prowess of Obama. But...just searching some online lists (real official...I know...haha) most put Bieber and Lady Gaga over Eminem.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
[FYI devil, Berty is not the OP]
When I read this...seriously...my first thought was "who is Jacko?" and you are saying no one who hasn't heard of them, haha.

And Berty...Britney Spears could be inserted into every statement you are making (about # of hits and longevity)... And I think you are underestimating the world wide political prowess of Obama. But...just searching some online lists (real official...I know...haha) most put Bieber and Lady Gaga over Eminem.

I have seen that, but I feel like they are too new to be recognized by the older generations. At least most of our grandparents could recognize Eminem as that white rapper hood rat or something along those lines (even if he is much more mature of an artist and human now).

For me to say #1 is wrong I suppose, but top 5 I think is reasonable.

And my mistake I meant 15 years, not sure why I said 20, he didn't even have anything 20 years ago.

Also wanted to apologize for sounding fanboyish. I am a huge fan of Em :p

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Eminem is very easily the most well known person in the world. That can not be denied!

He is still as big as he once was, if not bigger. He is appealing to a larger audience now than he was when he was younger.

Michael Jordan, George W. Bush, Justin Bieber.... All bigger than Eminem. You crazy, man.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Michael Jordan, George W. Bush, Justin Bieber.... All bigger than Eminem. You crazy, man.

eh, I'm not sure about Michael Jordan. Maybe in the US, but since he's mainly known for basketball, I don't think that would translate into worldwide recognition, unlike music, which is everywhere.

I also disagree on Bush. Sure, he's well known, but no more or less than every other president, which doesn't really make him relevant.

Now about Bieber...... Maybe, big maybe. He's more of a fad though and he's been doing a lot of suspicious things lately that really doesn't make him appeal to anyone outside his fan base. Eminem has been around for over a decade and he's still rocking the charts. Here, let me give you a likely scenario.

I go up to someone and say "What is X been doing recently?"
MJ: no idea
Bush: I think he has a museum or something, but I have no idea
JB: sleeping with Brazilian hookers and peeing in buckets, I haven't heard a hit song in months though
Eminem: going berzerk! I love/like/listen to his music.

Sure, he's not as big as he was before, but when I see tons of people talk about it around my college campus, he's still relevant.

I agree with Berty6294, he's one of the top 5 people for MS to pick.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you could find a human being in the world (age 12 and older) who hasn't heard of Eminem. Hell, it'd be tricky trying to find someone who couldn't name an Eminem song! He's been at the top of the chart for over a decade!

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The only people who could compete with Eminem with relevance, popularity, and number of hits are Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z. Both have been around for a while and have tons of popularity and tons of fans, although I don't know which order they actually would be in. I honestly can't think of any other person who has relevance, is recognizable by most ages, and is still loved by the masses except for those 3.

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Id love team phones WOW. Especially with Nokia already being all colorful, selling specialized variants in team colors/logos would be sick

EDIT: Did you just say Justin Beiber is bigger than Eminem? Beiber is a dumb fad that I cant wait for it to end.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Living person. And I can guarantee Eminem has more world wide relevance than Obama. As far as the royal family, everybody knows the names but most young people in the US couldn't give two ****s about who they are. I bet most kids will say "oh the one who got her head cut off by the guillotine??"

Kobe Bryant

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
dude...partnering with JT would be awesome. Just throwing the idea out, but could you imagine if Xbox music got temporary exclusive rights to his new, unreleased, hypothetical album? That would be so cool. Mainly because I know a lot of people that were freaking out over Lady Gaga and some album of hers that was temporarily exclusive to iTunes, so having everyone talk about "JT's new album, available on Xbox music" could help gain a lot of people, mainly because they would have to go to the website to find it.

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Literally no one I know could care less about basketball. You may as well have suggested Derek Jeter.

Kobe is a much bigger worldwide star than anyone who plays baseball. There are billions of people all around the world that don't watch basketball, but know Kobe Bryant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos