If Android user try Windows Phone 8 before they complain

eugie

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
But ms and nokia needs billboards advertisements not just in internet,, people don't know about windows smartphones...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I really don't think billboards are that great for advertisement of smartphones. People would notice TV commercials more, since those show what a device is able to do.

eugie

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Many people don't know about windows 8 smartphones, that's why they always go to Android. only few curious people go to internet to search good smartphone to buy in my exact opinion. And apple is best brand name for them but too expensive. Only they can afford to buy mid price or cheapest Android phone And many of them don't mind how many apps or games available on operating systems.
(Sorry bad English)

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Many people don't know about windows 8 smartphones, that's why they always go to Android. only few curious people go to internet to search good smartphone to buy in my exact opinion. And apple is best brand name for them but too expensive. Only they can afford to buy mid price or cheapest Android phone And many of them don't mind how many apps or games available on operating systems.
(Sorry bad English)

Exactly!!!!! That's so true.. I've seen many friends of mine go for Android and they do only web browsing, facebook, music, watching videos.. They don't even watch movies on phone cause downloading HD movies costs a fortune in my country as of 3g prices. Instead buying DVDs is the best and cheapest option here. Many of us use only 2G network. That said according to their use they are better off with WP8 but they go for Android cause they don't know about Nokia's camera or WP8's Office editing or ease of use. They don't even use instagram cause it takes forever to load on 2g. Nokia should have done ads on TV in India like how their camera is the best, trumping the iPhones and Galaxies. People would surely buy Nokia phones cause they have massive love and trust in Nokia if they ad done the marketing better even in India, they would'nt need to sell it...
Sigh..
Sent from my ST25i using WPCentral Forums mobile app

eugie

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Windows 8 phone operating system maybe can compete to ios with cheap windows smartphones but can't compete to Android..many cheapest Android phones already flooded. Android cheapest phone 3 times less expensive compare to nokia 520. I choose Those local Android phone brand offers complete features with flash,dual cam,dual sim with Android 4.0, 3 times that can less price compare to cheapest Samsung Android phones low memory bad display no dual cam no flash,Android 2.3 version only...bad connection over 3G can't even load..
Ideas
(True story)

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Exactly!!!!! That's so true.. I've seen many friends of mine go for Android and they do only web browsing, facebook, music, watching videos.. They don't even watch movies on phone cause downloading HD movies costs a fortune in my country as of 3g prices. Instead buying DVDs is the best and cheapest option here. Many of us use only 2G network. That said according to their use they are better off with WP8 but they go for Android cause they don't know about Nokia's camera or WP8's Office editing or ease of use. They don't even use instagram cause it takes forever to load on 2g. Nokia should have done ads on TV in India like how their camera is the best, trumping the iPhones and Galaxies. People would surely buy Nokia phones cause they have massive love and trust in Nokia if they ad done the marketing better even in India, they would'nt need to sell it...
Sigh..

Have you asked them why they went for Android? I can give you a list where Android trumps WP
1. facebook - The best facebook client is available in Android, the one in WP sucks and there's no notification center in one place on WP that you can see all the notifications/events from FB or from any other app.
2.Movies - There are multiple movie applications, you can run either using hardware or software decoding on Android. MKV and files with close captions gets played on Android
3.Transferring via bluetooth is painless on Android, you can transfer anything with third party apps. On WP, you can't transfer movies that are saved to your drive, you are only stuck to music or photos?
4. Web browsing- You are stuck with IE engine, UC browser crashes most of the time with fully loaded pages. No third party browsers are there on WP market(UC browser appears to be a skin with IE engine). Opera Mini is yet to make its mark here. On Android, you have multiple browsers, you can configure which browser you want to make it as default. No such setting in Windows Phone, everything opens to IE by default.
5. Multitasking- Very Smooth on WP, but lets say you were loading some web pages at the time, and you get a toast, you click on it and when you go back using BACK button, you'll have to reload! On Android, this does not happen, its real time multitasking just like how it should be. Only apps like Streaming apps like online radio station, podcast which has a background agent, will continue to play no matter what you do.
6. Games- Very limited games, popular games are restricted to Temple Run 1, Temple Run Brave, Joystick Joyride, and few more. Thats it. Development in WP is not taken seriously.

With all these and alot more, Windows Phone needs alot more features and development to happen. As of now, I see that Wp best use is for people who limit themselves to browsing certain pages(no flash allowed, can install Flash player in Android), messaging, listening to music, calling, taking photos, of course this is done with no lag on WP since it doesnt allow too many tasks to run in background, Android(aka Linux) needs some serious hardware to run well. With Android, there are so many things one can do. It's limitless.

Nokia India already came out with Ads highlighting Low light photo capability with/for Nokia 720, Nokia 925 & even Nokia 920. Yes they'll need alot more budget in marketing if they want to succeed like Samsung.

Last edited:

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Have you asked them why they went for Android? I can give you a list where Android trumps WP
1. facebook - The best facebook client is available in Android, the one in WP sucks and there's no notification center in one place on WP that you can see all the notifications/events from FB or from any other app.
2.Movies - There are multiple movie applications, you can run either using hardware or software decoding on Android. MKV and files with close captions gets played on Android
3.Transferring via bluetooth is painless on Android, you can transfer anything with third party apps. On WP, you can't transfer movies that are saved to your drive, you are only stuck to music or photos?
4. Web browsing- You are stuck with IE engine, UC browser crashes most of the time with fully loaded pages. No third party browsers are there on WP market(UC browser appears to be a skin with IE engine). Opera Mini is yet to make its mark here. On Android, you have multiple browsers, you can configure which browser you want to make it as default. No such setting in Windows Phone, everything opens to IE by default.
5. Games- Very limited games, popular games are restricted to Temple Run 1, Temple Run Brave, Joystick Joyride, and few more. Thats it. Development in WP is not taken seriously.

With all these and alot more, Windows Phone needs alot more features and development to happen. As of now, I see that Wp best use is for people who limit themselves to browsing certain pages(no flash allowed, can install Flash player in Android), messaging, listening to music, calling, taking photos, of course this is done with no lag on WP since it doesnt allow too many tasks to run in background, Android(aka Linux) needs some serious hardware to run well. With Android, there are so many things one can do. It's limitless.

Nokia India already came out with Ads for Nokia 720, Nokia 925, even Nokia 920. Yes they'll need alot more budget in marketing if they want to succeed like Samsung.

Point 2 (and even 3) are moot depending on use case.
Point 1 depends on your taste in Facebook clients. Surely, I'd go for the simpler, if a but constrained one. But, you make it sound as if the last tome you tried the Facebook client was back when it was a version 3.
I concede point 4, but watch what you say. Wait and watch this space. IE11 will come to Windows Phone, and we all know how good it is on the desktop.
Point 5 is a mixed bag. If you prefer to have free games (and potentially starve devs by piracy), go to Android.
But, can it run Halo?

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
5. Multitasking- Very Smooth on WP, but lets say you were loading some web pages at the time, and you get a toast, you click on it and when you go back using BACK button, you'll have to reload! On Android, this does not happen, its real time multitasking just like how it should be. Only apps like Streaming apps like online radio station, podcast which has a background agent, will continue to play no matter what you do.
6. Games- Very limited games, popular games are restricted to Temple Run 1, Temple Run Brave, Joystick Joyride, and few more. Thats it. Development in WP is not taken seriously.

Nokia India already came out with Ads highlighting Low light photo capability with/for Nokia 720, Nokia 925 & even Nokia 920. Yes they'll need alot more budget in marketing if they want to succeed like Samsung.

Your points
1. Completely agree with you. Facebook for WP8 isn't as good.. But that's just an application which will get as good as Android eventually..
2. I already mentioned, not everyone in India has WiFi at their home and even 3G data plans cost fortune here (We also don't have 4G/LTE here). Also note that, not every service provider has 3G network coverage in every area. So many of us are stuck on 2G or EDGE. In that case we can't download those HD MKV movies. So we prefer to watch them on DVDs or BluRays (BluRays also aren't common and also cost fortune..). If we want to put movies on a phone then we have only one option ripping DVDs. So we just rip them in mp4 instead of mkvs.. Simple as that and WP8 can run mp4, I mean obviously lol...
3. Transferring videos via Bluetooth - I won't be sending 1080p videos over bluetooth, it will take forever instead I'll just copy them to my phone from a PC, so that's not a prob.
4. Agree with you about Opera Mini. As we are mostly stuck on EDGE, Opera Mini is very needed. But about IE, it is pretty good itself and also IE11 is coming so I don't think need of any browser other than Opera Mini.
5. Multitasking sucks on low and mid range androids, it's only high end ones where it works flawlessly.. So, I don't think that's a much of a trouble..
6. Yeah.. Gaming is where WP8 is far behind but again popular titles are available, even Asphalt 8 is coming. And again downloading those 1 and 2GB games on android cause of costly data plans is very tedious. So mostly buyers play casual games like angry birds and subway surfers..
I don't say WP8 is good as it is, it seriously needs improvements but it has the potential to trump even Android and iOS. just look at the UI and apps. Same app on Android ans iOS looks ugly while on WP8 it is way more beautiful.
Personally I feel Windows RT is what WP8 would have been, it would trump Android and iOS. It has Adobe Flash, file manager and real multitasking.. It combined with Nokia's build quality and Cameras would blow out the competition. Yeah RT needs major overhaul. The desktop part should be replaced with Metro with the same features available. And some touch ups here and there and pretty fast development, WP is the future then..

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
And about ads, they didn't release those 'Switch to 920 or 1020' ads in India on TV. Also 925's zombie ad or everyday better photos are taken on 925. That would seriously impact their sales in positive manner. Man, people here even think that Nokia is the second best company in cameras, and Apple is the best. Lol, they don't even know Lumia phones' low light capabilities.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
People ask me a lot about which phone they want and I try to give unbiased opinions but it seems Nexus 4 (which was the same price as Lumia 820 in my country) was a much better device (no LTE where I live).

But for higher end you can't beat Nokia's hardware, customer support and cameras if users are interested in those things. With the latest upgrades with GDR3, I hope the spec people get a rest.

FOr cheaper devices you cannot beat Lumia 520 .. there is no better device for 130$ or less. The new Nexus will be very interesting and if the price it very low the mid range WP will have to try even harder IMO.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Point 2 (and even 3) are moot depending on use case.
Point 1 depends on your taste in Facebook clients. Surely, I'd go for the simpler, if a but constrained one. But, you make it sound as if the last tome you tried the Facebook client was back when it was a version 3.
I concede point 4, but watch what you say. Wait and watch this space. IE11 will come to Windows Phone, and we all know how good it is on the desktop.
Point 5 is a mixed bag. If you prefer to have free games (and potentially starve devs by piracy), go to Android.
But, can it run Halo?
Can WP run Call of Duty, Fifa 14, Madden 25, NBA 2K14, Battlefield 3, or Grand Theft Auto? Which do you think people will choose? They won't choose WP over one lame Halo app, it isn't even all that, not first person and controls suck. All those games listed above are available on iOS and some on android. So you can't use that line,lol.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

This point was my first thought when I saw the thread title. The Facebook experience on WP is bad! Probably most people would use it, and it alone could be enough to turn people away. Not that it's Microsoft's fault, as there is no official Facebook app for WP. I found it interesting that just this past week they announced an update which allows multiple photo uploads and the ability to unlike posts. Kinda shows how far behind it is.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Your points
1. Completely agree with you. Facebook for WP8 isn't as good.. But that's just an application which will get as good as Android eventually..
2. I already mentioned, not everyone in India has WiFi at their home and even 3G data plans cost fortune here (We also don't have 4G/LTE here). Also note that, not every service provider has 3G network coverage in every area. So many of us are stuck on 2G or EDGE. In that case we can't download those HD MKV movies. So we prefer to watch them on DVDs or BluRays (BluRays also aren't common and also cost fortune..). If we want to put movies on a phone then we have only one option ripping DVDs. So we just rip them in mp4 instead of mkvs.. Simple as that and WP8 can run mp4, I mean obviously lol...
3. Transferring videos via Bluetooth - I won't be sending 1080p videos over bluetooth, it will take forever instead I'll just copy them to my phone from a PC, so that's not a prob.
4. Agree with you about Opera Mini. As we are mostly stuck on EDGE, Opera Mini is very needed. But about IE, it is pretty good itself and also IE11 is coming so I don't think need of any browser other than Opera Mini.
5. Multitasking sucks on low and mid range androids, it's only high end ones where it works flawlessly for a few weeks before you have to format the device for smooth performance.. So, I don't think that's a much of a trouble..
Let me complete the sentence for you
6. Yeah.. Gaming is where WP8 is far behind but again popular titles are available, even Asphalt 8 is coming. And again downloading those 1 and 2GB games on android cause of costly data plans is very tedious. So mostly buyers play casual games like angry birds and subway surfers..
I don't say WP8 is good as it is, it seriously needs improvements but it has the potential to trump even Android and iOS. just look at the UI and apps. Same app on Android ans iOS looks ugly while on WP8 it is way more beautiful.
Personally I feel Windows RT is what WP8 would have been, it would trump Android and iOS. It has Adobe Flash, file manager and real multitasking.. It combined with Nokia's build quality and Cameras would blow out the competition. Yeah RT needs major overhaul. The desktop part should be replaced with Metro with the same features available. And some touch ups here and there and pretty fast development, WP is the future then..

Check my comment in green.

Shouvik Mazumdar

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Good Thread and I don't know how to classify myself because some one said WP is only good for people who use basic stuffs. I on the other hand love to call myself a super power user :) Looks like am mistaken...

Just for record - I have a Nexus 7 & Lumia 920. No Guess , I love my 920 much more than Nexus 7

My quick comments:

1) Facebook was bad before , but I love the new Facebook app. It does pretty much everything I want. I find myself relying less and less on desktop app to work on FB. Initially it was frustrating when simple things like submitting a photo in an album was not allowed. I guess these are now ironed out. I like the Facebook Messenger in Nexus , but it keeps crashing without warning. So cant really rely on it. I loved the integrated FB chat in WP but it stopped working properly after Amber. I have WhatsApp doing most work now

2) Agree. Movie app is crippled in WP. The only reason I use Nexus 7 is for movies. Thank god it has VLC. But I am not very happy as the volume booster in android is bad compared to desktop VLC. So it does a good job running all formats. I only hope VLc comes faster in WP. Having said this , I dont think it is a deal breaker for me. I prefer watching movies on 7" + screen and for all those screen you have the Windows 8 / RT which does a fairly awesome job

3) The last time I used Bluetooth for sharing was like 5 years back. I would not dream of transferring movies over BT , I would prefer USB. again its a subjective point.

4) I love IE . It does pretty much everything i want. Last time i checked Nexus doesnt allow Flash officially. But you can install Flash Player secretly from their link :) But I dont use Flash at all. Being a web developer , I know Flash is dead (at least I hope it is :) )

5) Oh god , my Nexus gives a lot of pain. Skype gets stuck and every now and then I see Unfortunately X stopped working !! On the other hand Lumia seldom (if never) gets stuck. I am happy with WP multi tasking

6) Games , yeah. Good games are coming but it is taking forever. I agree !! Xbox game they call but they so misuse the brand :)

Besides , I use my 920 for almost everything. Skype , opening office , making excel etc. I like my Nexus , but neevr really felt attracted. WP8 does almsot everything for me. I know NExus allows launchers and some amazing customizations. Never really got time to fiddle with them. As for my busy day , I need a phone that does what I want to everytime and any time. I am happy with 920 so far.

PS : I shifted from Samsung Galaxy S3

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
But ms and nokia needs billboards advertisements not just in internet,, people don't know about windows smartphones...

After the initial "man this UI is buttery smooth!" wore off, it became the same song as wp7:

Too restrictive (file access)
Too few apps (that I have on android /iOS)
To restrictive (fill system backups)

I've gotten used to being able to smash a phone, then restore that exact phones -everything- to the next phone via sdcard in ten minutes.

Joseph Davis

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I may be in the minority but I actually like WP better for facebook, with people hub and the facebook app combined it is a lot more integrated. As a person who went from 920 to HTC ONE to a Samsung Galaxy S4 and back to my 920 again, I have to say I just enjoy WP more, I want to use it more. I don't know why but I just feel more satisfied on WP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05