10-24-2013 10:07 PM
92 1234
tools
    I generally have a degree of tech cred with people, so I like messing with them in that I use Windows Phone, Windows 8, Bing, and Internet Explorer.

The tech guy that chooses to use supposedly sucky stuff, what?
    SwimSwim likes this.
    10-14-2013 04:51 PM
    I generally have a degree of tech cred with people, so I like messing with them in that I use Windows Phone, Windows 8, Bing, and Internet Explorer.

Ha ha, same here. I'm the tech expert amongst my social group, so me liking Windows is a bit of a shock to all of them.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-14-2013 06:04 PM

Same as you and SwimSwim. I'm the techie guy in my circle and they're kinda shocked when they hear I use all Microsoft products.

My favorite reaction is when I tell people that I've used Macs(never owned), but didn't like OS X and that I love my Surface Pro.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-14-2013 07:39 PM
    Same as you and SwimSwim. I'm the techie guy in my circle and they're kinda shocked when they hear I use all Microsoft products.

My favorite reaction is when I tell people that I've used Macs(never owned), but didn't like OS X and that I love my Surface Pro.
    I must admit, I'm fond of the Macbook Air's design. It's very clean and polish, I like that. However, I hate OS X. It's too gray, boring and dull. Even before Windows 8 or the whole Metro UI craze, when Windows 7 was king, I still thought the same thing. And of course, now that we're post-Metro, it looks even MORE dull and boring. I'd fancy a Macbook Air with a touchscreen and Windows 8, but for that price, I ought to get a Surface Pro! Hey, wait a second, I am in just a matter of weeks. xD
    10-14-2013 09:53 PM
    I do have some Apple products PowerBook for one most of my tools are powered by Microsoft. the Problem with MS is that they are slow way to slow for the world today. more so in the way of Mobility. there is talk of removing g the back button on WP8 is that like killing the start button and then paying for it later? what they should do is sit down and get every division on the same playing field when MS apps for IOS and Android are better than the ones on your own platform well?...
    10-15-2013 04:42 AM
    If we're talking about OS X vs Windows and Apple users stubborness, I've got another one for you:
    I don't know what it's like in other countries, but in the Netherlands there's a VERY persisent "rumor" that says "Once you go Mac, you never go back". I have the feeling that no one actually said that sentence, but people just like to throw it in when you're discussing operation systems. Until recently, I couldn't disagree with it because I'd never worked on a Mac for a long time before, but during my internship I used a Mac for 8 ours per day, 4 days a week, 6 months long. Well, now I can tell people that once you go Mac, you can't wait to go back. At least in my case. Sure, I got things done, and it felt somewhat safer and "firmer" than Windows, but gosh, it felt soooo slow... viscous might be the best word to describe it. It felt like I was riding a (very safe) tricycle at 5 km/h while I could have been riding a 120 km/h motorcycle at home.
    SwimSwim and forked like this.
    10-15-2013 06:42 AM
    I must admit, I'm fond of the Macbook Air's design. It's very clean and polish, I like that. However, I hate OS X. It's too gray, boring and dull. Even before Windows 8 or the whole Metro UI craze, when Windows 7 was king, I still thought the same thing. And of course, now that we're post-Metro, it looks even MORE dull and boring. I'd fancy a Macbook Air with a touchscreen and Windows 8, but for that price, I ought to get a Surface Pro! Hey, wait a second, I am in just a matter of weeks. xD
    oh you're 15?
    10-15-2013 06:08 PM
    oh you're 15?
    Yes, what's that have to do with my response? Before you flip about kids today being spoiled, I earned the money life guarding over the summer. It's going to burn through all the cash I raised this summer, but I think it'll be worth it (and school work should be a fair bit easier).
    10-15-2013 06:18 PM
    Yes, what's that have to do with my response? Before you flip about kids today being spoiled, I earned the money life guarding over the summer. It's going to burn through all the cash I raised this summer, but I think it'll be worth it (and school work should be a fair bit easier).
    chill out bro
    I'm 16
    SwimSwim likes this.
    10-16-2013 06:41 AM
    chill out bro
    I'm 16
    Sorry for getting defensive, I'll go awkwardly stand in the corner now 0_O
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-16-2013 01:58 PM
    Sorry for getting defensive, I'll go awkwardly stand in the corner now 0_O
    oh awk, derp I meant to refer to your signature, idk why I quoted that.

but really, ive seen fancier things with my peers :p

I remember being really sensitive about age stuff a while back with all those 18 yr minimum and whatnot. and using "age-ist" a lot lol
    SwimSwim likes this.
    10-16-2013 02:33 PM
    If we're talking about OS X vs Windows and Apple users stubborness, I've got another one for you:
    I don't know what it's like in other countries, but in the Netherlands there's a VERY persisent "rumor" that says "Once you go Mac, you never go back". I have the feeling that no one actually said that sentence, but people just like to throw it in when you're discussing operation systems. Until recently, I couldn't disagree with it because I'd never worked on a Mac for a long time before, but during my internship I used a Mac for 8 ours per day, 4 days a week, 6 months long. Well, now I can tell people that once you go Mac, you can't wait to go back. At least in my case. Sure, I got things done, and it felt somewhat safer and "firmer" than Windows, but gosh, it felt soooo slow... viscous might be the best word to describe it. It felt like I was riding a (very safe) tricycle at 5 km/h while I could have been riding a 120 km/h motorcycle at home.
    I've said it before and I've said it again, use what works best for you. If you like Mac, sure. I think it's dull and boring (they're just asking for it when the main color palette is grey and white), but if it works for you, awesome. As I've said a bazillion times, it's just annoying when everyone starts hating on Windows because it's the cool thing to do.

I admit to getting a little snappy towards Apple users, a bit more than I personally like, but it's just so annoying how everyone acts as a mindless Windows-hating drone. If people actually tried it (and I mean tried it, not just using it for ten minutes and going, "Eww, I don't know how to use it... Back to OS X/Windows 7 for me."), I feel that at least 75% of people would enjoy it. But again, sadly, it's just the "cool" thing to hate Microsoft these days, so that;s Microsoft's biggest problem going forward.

If they want to succeed, they really got to shake off their bad rep. Easier said than done.
    10-16-2013 07:08 PM
    Totally agree with you. Though I think even though MS has been in this industry forever, they were never the "cool" one, Apple was, and Google is the current "COOL" but looking at Windows Phone, Windows and looking at MS hardware Xbox, Surface and buying Nokia will produce more phone. I have a feeling that MS is the NEXT COOL company in few year.

People who use Windows 8, Windows Phone, Surface etc.. are enjoying their products and the word of mouth is starting to spread.
    10-16-2013 07:36 PM
    I am for the first time using OSx as my work got all the senior workers a Macbook Pro i7 2.7 quad core...just absurd crazy power. Its an amazing machine with a beautiful body...but I gotta say OSx is such a snore. The OS boots super fast, doesn't lag...i give that. But I just dont like it, boot camped Windows 7. I have a lot of personal issues with Apples pro OS..however i do think iOS is great for mobile. However, I love my Nano for audio...No one in my books beats Apple when it comes to audio mp3.

Its all about preference, it comes down to what the user wants in an OS. I much prefer the small time I spent with Windows 8 over whatever OS my MacBook is running.

But ya, since im one of the very few who prefer MS over Apple at work...i get the jokes left and right...oh man, especially cause I got a WP. Its funny how tainted Windows is with todays general consumer.
    10-16-2013 07:56 PM
    Totally agree with you. Though I think even though MS has been in this industry forever, they were never the "cool" one, Apple was, and Google is the current "COOL" but looking at Windows Phone, Windows and looking at MS hardware Xbox, Surface and buying Nokia will produce more phone. I have a feeling that MS is the NEXT COOL company in few year.

People who use Windows 8, Windows Phone, Surface etc.. are enjoying their products and the word of mouth is starting to spread.
    I hope so, but in a certain sense, I feel Microsoft is doomed to forever be the **** of all technology jokes. A real shame, too. Sure, they've had their screw ups (Vista is a prime example), but what company hasn't? Today, they produce great software, and great products. It's top of the line, smooth stable, and just plain old attractive to look at (in most cases). But the rest of the world refuses to acknowledge that, only looking at the Microsoft of the past instead of the Microsoft of today.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-16-2013 08:30 PM
    True, every company has had their screw-ups...even the all mighty.

http://gizmodo.com/heres-why-the-iph...ntent=FaceBook
    SwimSwim and xandros9 like this.
    10-16-2013 09:03 PM
    True, every company has had their screw-ups...even the all mighty.

Here's Why the iPhone 5S Accelerometer Is So Screwed Up
    Very interesting article, and perfect for a school project I'm working on too. Thanks. :)
    10-16-2013 10:01 PM
    I own a iMAC 2011. I use it on a daily basis. I also own a windows 7 Lenovo upgraded to 8.1, a surface pro 128gig, a shared iPad and finally a Lumia 920.

I really do like OS X, I really like windows 7 and Windows 8. I actually prefer Windows 7 to W8. I prefer Windows 7 to OS X. What I like about my surface thou is the metro apps how they are full screen, I like the Surface Pro a lot. I wish that they brought the taskbar to windows 8 and merged the desktop and metro. I am not blindly loyal to any platform. I consider my iMac purchase a good one. I use whatever fits my needs and whatever I find to be the best. Windows 8 in my opinion is much superior to OS X, but OS X is still a great operating system.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
    10-16-2013 10:29 PM
    Was it slow due to hardware/software issues or just not being entirely familiar with or use to using it?
    10-16-2013 10:49 PM
    I don't know what it's like in other countries, but in the Netherlands there's a VERY persisent "rumor" that says "Once you go Mac, you never go back".
    I'm just curious; does the quote rhyme in Dutch like it does in English?
    10-16-2013 11:15 PM
    Ah the face palm moments when people tell you Apple has 500,000 apps and WP doesn't, therefor it is not as good. This is by far one of the biggest "ah ha!" moments people try and get me with. It makes me really quite sad that they don't understand quality over quantity.
    10-17-2013 12:38 AM
    Ah the face palm moments when people tell you Apple has 500,000 apps and WP doesn't, therefor it is not as good. This is by far one of the biggest "ah ha!" moments people try and get me with. It makes me really quite sad that they don't understand quality over quantity.
    Many of the official apps are either not available (for example Instagram) or have a much worse quality than on Android or iOS (for example Spotify). That's just a fact. Of course there are usually very good third party apps available, but those are on one hand third party apps, and on the other hand come usually with either cost or commercials.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    10-17-2013 01:50 AM
    Completely agree with the OP and most other posts in this thread.

I've already ditched Android for WP8 on a Lumia 1020, I already run Windows 8.1 on my Alienware m17x r3, and very soon I'll have a 256GB Surface Pro 2 running Windows 8.1. I've also moved my entire Google account over to a Microsoft Account; contacts, calendar, pictures, emails, cloud storage, the lot.

People's reaction to this (including my wife's) is that I must be going through some sort of personal crisis or breakdown to be aligning myself with Microsoft so closely. It's difficult enough to explain to fellow techy people at work, nevermind non-techy family, why I'm doing it. After all, Microsoft isn't cool according to the masses.

IMHO: Apple is uninteresting, lacking innovation (especially the last year or two), is for people who don't know any better, and has never interested me. Android is starting to stagnate, and Google's profit-based motives are becoming clearer and more intrusive by the day. Whereas Microsoft seems to be putting some real effort into aligning and updating all their products and services and producing something new, fresh, and interesting.

I just want to emphasise the "IMHO" at the start of the previous paragraph, before anybody starts! :-)

Steve.
    Cleavitt76 and WinFan1 like this.
    10-17-2013 04:44 AM
    Liking MS products can be a pain because its viewed like apple products back in the early 2000's, that if you have one then you must be a fanboy...
    My favorite thing that happens where I work is that if people come up to me and ask me if I like the iPhone or iPad and I say yes, they are great products, people automatically assume that I'm an apple fanboy even though to this day, I have never owned an apple product. Its not that there's anything wrong with them, its just that I prefer windows, I mean I bought my mom and iPad mini because she uses itunes and its a dead simple product to use that she never has to call me up and ask how to use it.

What I've come to learn about electronics is that a lot of people treat them like a religion, that you can only like windows, mac, Linux, Google, etc, that you can't like all of them for what they do...I mean there is no best product, there is a best product that suits YOUR needs, but your needs are not everybody's needs and many people don't get that, the truth is there are pros and cons to every platform out there. I just love technology, (which is also why I'm an electrical engineering major in college), and I like pretty much everything or I am at least open minded and willing to try everything, call me a technology agnostic...

That being said, I get nothing but tons of compliments on my surface RT, people routinely come up to me and say "ooh is that a surface?". People usually don't say that about a Samsung galaxy tab or an ipad because they're so ubiquitous, its almost like a surface is "rare and exotic" lol...
    SwimSwim and WinFan1 like this.
    10-17-2013 05:43 AM
    Yes, it's interesting how the tables have turned. While I agree with the point that Apple's App Store number is a bit overrated (how many fart apps do I need?), you can generally find whatever suits your fancy on iOS. Android isn't far behind either, especially with major apps. Windows Phone? Not so much.

Yes, it is improving, and yes, many tech blogs make way too big a deal out of it (has anyone noticed how most the blogs that complain about lack of apps, like CNET, still haven't made any type of app for reading their website on Windows Phone?), but the fact of the matter is: we need more apps.

Great third party alternatives out there, but people want first party apps, and we need more apps in general. Especially for irreplaceable services like banking.

It's improving, but we need more results, and fast.
    10-17-2013 06:26 AM
92 1234